Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys i need your help and please answer my question. PLEASE!!! alright Maui's Thanksgiving race is almost here and it my first drag race. I know for a face that I'm the only supra thats going to be there so i want to make a name for supras on Maui. Well anyways what i really need help on is that how much boost should i run.
I have a mega flow intake and a tanabe exhaust installed in my toyota supra turbo (1990). and Thursday I will have an manual boost controller and a 3 or 3.5 downpipe custom built for my car. From what I heard that the maual boost controllers can cause boost spikes and can damage my engine severely. and if so how much boost should i run and the drags(only running 5psi). if you know anything else i should know about my car please tell me. and i also am running on regular goodyear tires nothing special other than its new. how much psi should i have in my rear tires?
I also have a question about the blow off where does the air come out of? and what should it sound like other than sounding great. because my sound is like a chu chu chu chu chu chu chu (say it really fast) thanks, much mahalos

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
jk!! hahahaha!!! :lol:

ummmm yes....

yes.....

MBC has a tendency to cause boost spikes! BUT.... u didnt mention a FCD so ur ok! fuel cut will hit before ur engine blows! just turn up the boost until u feel a NASTY kik at full boost! it will feel liek someone threw a wrench in ur engine for a split second! ur check engine light will come on then too! i dont recomend playing with boost like that unless u have an EGT guage or something! but if u want good times then throw in some 100 octane or higher and crank up the boost! of course do some runs before the track to dial in where exactly before u can floor the car without hittin gFuel cut!

u should be good to go then! :cool:

·
FasterThanASpeedingCivic
671 Posts
Well first off, it sounds like your BOV is bad. It should sound like a Pssst. Is it stock? What other mods have you done? Stock rims? Stock injectors-turbo-fuel pump-? Second of all if your useing a manual boost controler and you have a bad BOV then I say good luck. Not trying to scare you but spikes in psi are pretty common with the manual boost controller and if the air has nowhere to go then you have a bad problem. As far as how much boost to run, if your all stock(turbo-injectors) 12psi is about as far as you will get before Fuel Cut. But do your best and represent the SUPRA with PRIDE!!

·
Boostin' to the limit!
482 Posts
Hey man, you should come up here to Honolulu, we're starting are own MKIII owners club, good stuff man....:)

Anyway, that "chu chu chu" sound you get is compressor surge. The stock bypass valve isn't opening properly, which means air is coming back into the turbo, bad bad bad.....:mad: You should invest in some aftermarket BOV, nothing too expensive will do since you're running the stock turbo....

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Much mahalos

much mahalos guys i really appreciate it, but what if i push only 8 psi for now. with the manual boost controller the only reason i bought it was because i just wanted to up my boost for stock. would i have to worry about bov?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts