Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After MANY people have said "dont replace your factory o2 sensor with the PLX's simulated narrowband output, cause the narowband simulated is liniar" I decided to test if what these so called experts said was true. Hooked up my PLX and logged the narrowband output on my Apex Power FC. At 14.7 the voltage was ~.40 (right where it should be) at ~15.7 the voltage was ~.05 (right where it should be)

SOOOOOOO

YOU CAN replace the stock sensor with the PLX's and run fine. I have been running it for about 6 months now and never noticed a difference. But I proved it today.

:bigthumb:

·
Search
3,305 Posts
isn't it bad for the wideband o2 to be so close to the heat? don't the instructions say not to place it so close?

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
eh, i still wonder if the PLX has the non-linear 1V output. see the graph here:

http://www.wbo2.com/2a0/2a0info.htm

i'd certainly hope so, but i'm not going to go reasearch it. even if the output is linear, it will still work, just not as well as it should since the ECU has been tuned to expect the non-linear 1V.....

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I mentioned in the first post, the output is NOT liniar. although I cant graph the output of it currently, simply seeing the voltage output change as the sensor warms up is enough for me. when the sensor is cold it reads 14.7 as it warms up it slowly goes to full lean (since the engine isnt running) voltage drops off like crazy after it leaves 14.7. although i do not have a specific graph to refer to, I can promise you the output is FAR from liniar.

This wideband will work perfectly if you want to replace your factory narowband sensor (due to old age, or contamination)

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
get a techedge and your guaranteed to have a compatible narrowband output. You can log the stock o2 sensor and then reprogram the narrowband output curve to that.

hey jonez, did you see my idea about increasing fuel economy? reprogram the techedge NBsim to have the voltage asymptote at a higher afr, so that the ecu thinks its fuelling to 14.7 to one when its really at 15.7 to one or anything else.

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
bump, good news ckanderson, ive got a plx on the way, and im gonna try it. I wonder how much of a problem it would be having the wideband sensor that close to the turbo(wonder if they would go bad fast). Keep me updated! :)

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
Ckanderson said:
As I mentioned in the first post, the output is NOT liniar. although I cant graph the output of it currently, simply seeing the voltage output change as the sensor warms up is enough for me. when the sensor is cold it reads 14.7 as it warms up it slowly goes to full lean (since the engine isnt running) voltage drops off like crazy after it leaves 14.7. although i do not have a specific graph to refer to, I can promise you the output is FAR from liniar.

This wideband will work perfectly if you want to replace your factory narowband sensor (due to old age, or contamination)
To really test it, you'd want to start the car up and let it warm up. Backprobe the "narrowband" output that you have going to the stock ecu and see if it is swinging back and forth from a high level (700-800mV) to a low level (100-200mV). That is what they are claiming the simulated narrowband output does, according to that linky Adam posted. That is also how you know the car is really operating in closed loop mode.

It depends on your EGTs how close you can get away with mounting the sensor. It also depends on the sensor itself, some brands are more sensitive than others. In other words, YMMV!

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
Bump. Any update on how its been working out for you CK? I wanna try this with my m300.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
the Bosch LSU 4.2 is rated for an operating temprature of up to 950 Centigrade. If you running that high. I think the wideband will be the least of your concerns ;)

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
figgie said:
the Bosch LSU 4.2 is rated for an operating temprature of up to 950 Centigrade. If you running that high. I think the wideband will be the least of your concerns ;)

my wideband o2 is already set in a bung 2 feet down from the turbo, so I dont sensor failure is a problem. I planned to just use a block off plate on the stock o2 bung on my bic d/p

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
figgie said:
It isn't a matter of if the sensor can take the heat, it can. It is a matter of the temperature affecting the output. The Bosch LSU in particular needs to be regulated by the heater circuit to between 1292 and 1472 degrees Farenheit in order to produce accurate readings.

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
chevyeater-on-sf said:
It isn't a matter of if the sensor can take the heat, it can. It is a matter of the temperature affecting the output. The Bosch LSU in particular needs to be regulated by the heater circuit to between 1292 and 1472 degrees Farenheit in order to produce accurate readings.
I see, makes sense.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
njsupramk3t said:
Bump. Any update on how its been working out for you CK? I wanna try this with my m300.

well my car is down as of right now... BUT when i ran it... i never had any problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts