Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
42mpg @ 16k RPM
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
^

Any former owners in here? Don't even flame me. I just want some elaborate opinions. Couldn't find much factoids on the car that included unbiased trials.

:gaysex:

·
Phantom Flipper
638 Posts
Never owned one. I think the car looks great, it just has a weak drivetrain. It's so different than what's out there now. But again, it comes down to the engine and trans. A car like that NEEDS a V8 not a V6 and a 4-speed auto? I guess MAYBE for cruising and such.

Not sure about it's touring abilities. I.E. is it more of a city/boulevard cruiser or is it good for some long distance travel?

·
42mpg @ 16k RPM
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Supposedly it's a 300M on a different platform.. of that respective year, of course. I've seen some supercharged Prowlers around the Internet... pushing roughly 380hp. Not sure what they weigh in at, but that's easy to find out. Good point, though. That's kind of what I was looking around for... some people who knew about these things. I wonder why they stopped producing them? Not cost effective? Horrible sales? Major problems? Strikes me as surprising since they were so unique in appearance, at least. Granted they might be horrible in every other category, there are plenty of other cars out there that look great, ONLY look great, and still do great at the end of the fiscal year.

shrugs

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
I have a small- medium amount of seat time in them. I used to work for Chrysler and Dodge. Things to know right away - its cramped; there is no trunk really; they like to catch fire; they arent fast really; top up you can not see ANYTHING - I'd comapre it to a Countach thats how bad; when you drive around people give you too much attention and lots of negative attention for some reason - I had a guy give me the finger sitting at a light just because. They really arent made that well, they are jittery over bumps and pretty harsh to drive - the 00's and 01's handled a bit better with the 01 edging out the 00. The hp bump in the 99's + helped a little bit, but its not going to blow you away. Its light so it works, but it doesnt entertain per se.

Good things? Has a nice exhaust note and does grip and handle fairly well when pushed. But its a fun car to drive a few times and call the quits - living with it as your toy I dont think would be that enjoyable. I have maybe 1500-2000 miles behind the seats of Prowlers and I have had my fill. And in the city its a really a pain especially with the top up. did I mention how poor it is to drive with the top up????

·
Registered
648 Posts
i drove a minimal amount in one, maybe ~20 miles. i remember getting looks like crazy, the interior was kind of cramped but the seats are REALLY comfortable. the ride was kind of hard, but the seats made up for it well. seemed to have decent turn in, but i didn't really push it much. oh and the manumatic on it sucked. if you like attention, it would make a decent cruiser or tourer, but i don't know how well it handles much beating upon since i didn't have time with it.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I love these cars although I've never driven them. I just like the fact it's a modern day 40's roadster :D

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Ultimate posermobile is what I think about them. Nothing "hot rod" whatsoever IMO. A rod is something that someone builds themselves, not a dorky V-6 corporate pseudo-whatever dipshit dorkmobile. Factory-built "hot rod" with a V-6 automatic??? :blast:

BTW, I don't like them. :D

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I said roadster not a hot rod. I'm not about to get into a hot rod, rat rot, mod rod blahblahblahrod debate.
Boost Junkie said:
Ultimate posermobile is what I think about them. Nothing "hot rod" whatsoever IMO. A rod is something that someone builds themselves, not a dorky V-6 corporate pseudo-whatever dipshit dorkmobile. Factory-built "hot rod" with a V-6 automatic??? :blast:

BTW, I don't like them. :D

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
Reminds me of the Ford T-Bird they built recently...complete POS IMO. Not worth it at all. Auto+V6+supposedly muscle heritage? Right....

-Olivier

·
Ready. Set. Gone.
4,832 Posts
Olivier Caza said:
Reminds me of the Ford T-Bird they built recently...complete POS IMO. Not worth it at all. Auto+V6+supposedly muscle heritage? Right....

-Olivier
The T-Bird has a 280hp V8, it is good for what it is. The drive-by-wire throttle + auto SUCKS though, it lags. Like the perfect car for a woman, though.

·
NFA Pimp
2,734 Posts
Most hot rods out there are autos.... That being said, I do think Prowlers are posermobiles. You never see anyone young driving it. Always some middle age guy driving real slow in it. Same goes towards the Chevy SSR.

Retro sucks.

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Most young people don't have the cash to blow on an impractical toy like that.

Even though I wasn't a fan of them, I was glad to see something like that come from an American company. Was that before the "merger?"

·
Registered
60 Posts
I dunno, I have yet to see one done up nicely but I'd imagine it could be just as much fun as most other sports cars...especially if there was a manual transmission...

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
My uncle used to have one. He owned it for roughly 2 years bought it with delivery miles and had 1,800 miles when he sold it.

What information do you want? I can put you in touch with him if that's easier.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think car makers go head with these cars because focus groups are flawed. I'm sure I'd give great marks to concept cars like these, however when it comes time to put money down I'd get something a bit more realistic.

Sam

·
Registered
348 Posts
Pretty soon the supra community will look at Prowlers in a whole new light ;) Thats all im going to say

1 - 20 of 37 Posts