Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are some kit cars out there that i really really like. Like some of the track day cars and what not. But seeing this company on Speed make a "Carrera GT" Is just rediculous. They built it in 11 hours, its yellow with a boxter interior, and a STOCK 97 boxter engine. It doesent even have any balls im just woundering WTF is the point of something like this? It seems so RICE to me in a way . It honestly doesent even look good imo. But what ever. Anyone else know any pointless cars kit cars share here please.

·
Who's the Master?!
4,072 Posts
I'd love to have the 2000GT replica based on the 240Z and shoehorn a 2JZ in, along with the TT brakes and some suspension work. That would be fun to drive.

·
Banned
1,630 Posts
There are some kit cars out there that i really really like. Like some of the track day cars and what not. But seeing this company on Speed make a "Carrera GT" Is just rediculous. They built it in 11 hours, its yellow with a boxter interior, and a STOCK 97 boxter engine. It doesent even have any balls im just woundering WTF is the point of something like this? It seems so RICE to me in a way . It honestly doesent even look good imo. But what ever. Anyone else know any pointless cars kit cars share here please.
All kit cars suck. They are just made for posers to pretend they actually own the real car that they can't afford. IMO, not much is more pathetic than buying a kit car. The same guys most likely sport a fake Rolex and a fake Diamond pinky ring as well. :tongue:

·
Registered
319 Posts
All kit cars suck. They are just made for posers to pretend they actually own the real car that they can't afford. IMO, not much is more pathetic than buying a kit car. The same guys most likely sport a fake Rolex and a fake Diamond pinky ring as well. :tongue:
There are some "kit" cars that come as a rolling frame that you finsh off. They are not body kits.

Try this http://www.motorauthority.com/factory-five-racing-gtm-supercar.html

http://www.factoryfive.com/

or http://www.ddrmotorsport.com/

Forgot this one

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/Content.aspx?f=gtrcomp

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
It depends on the car... Trying to imitate another car then yes..

But I'd take a factory 5 GTM kit car...

Put a LS7 , some big breaks and nice suspension in it and tear up the track.

·
Who's the Master?!
4,072 Posts
I agree with you in some cases. I don't think that buying a replica of an ultra-rare and expensive car to enjoy on the track or on the weekends is such a bad thing, but only when they are of your typical classic models (Shelby Cobras, Daytona Coupes, GT40s, etc.). If you're trying to sport a Murci replica, then, yeah, I agree wholeheartedly. :)

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
All kit cars suck. They are just made for posers to pretend they actually own the real car that they can't afford.
I bought my FFR AC Cobra replica for a few reasons:

a) I always wanted an AC Cobra. Period.

b) The frame and suspension are years ahead of 1960's tech.

c) I am not afraid to modify and upgrade a non-collectible car. Big brakes, coilovers, fuel cell, EFI, overdrive trans, stereo, lighting, etc. Hell, I plan on running air conditioning in the thing.

d) I would never want an aluminum-bodied vehicle.

e) I will take a 500rwhp 427" EFI small-block with a 5-speed trans over a 500rwhp 427" carbureted big-block with a 4-speed ANY day.

f) I can build it myself. That gives me a lot of satisfaction. I respect anyone who builds their own project cars as opposed to just dropping a big fat check in someone's lap to have them build it.

g) You are correct---I am a "poseur". I can afford a $50,000 replica but will never, ever afford a $750,000-$1,000,000 original AC Cobra. Hell, I wouldn't even drive the fucking thing.

·
Banned
1,630 Posts
It depends on the car... Trying to imitate another car then yes..
Agreed. I just can't respect those Lambo replicrap, Ferrari replicas, etc....If you pretend the car is something other than what it is....well that's pretty lame if you ask me. As for buying a tube chassis car that is not a production car that doesn't pretend to be something else.....if that's what floats your boat go for it. I wouldn't do it, but that's really irrelevant. Those guys that pull up in a replica and strut around pretending it's the real deal are sad in my opinion.

·
Banned
1,630 Posts

c) I am not afraid to modify and upgrade a non-collectible car. Big brakes, coilovers, fuel cell, EFI, overdrive trans, stereo, lighting, etc. Hell, I plan on running air conditioning in the thing.

e) I will take a 500rwhp 427" EFI small-block with a 5-speed trans over a 500rwhp 427" carbureted big-block with a 4-speed ANY day.

f) I can build it myself. That gives me a lot of satisfaction. I respect anyone who builds their own project cars as opposed to just dropping a big fat check in someone's lap to have them build it.

g) You are correct---I am a "poseur". I can afford a $50,000 replica but will never, ever afford a $750,000-$1,000,000 original AC Cobra. Hell, I wouldn't even drive the fucking thing.

I see your point on that car. I was really speaking much more of the Lambo and Ferrari junkers I see constantly with the hack interior and the V6's that used to be SOME OTHER CAR. I know a guy who has what you could maybe consider a replica with a totally new aftermarket 69 camaro body, but the car is completely bad ass. As for building it yourself, good on you. If I tried to do that it would take me 15 years to finish the car. :lol: Free time is something I envy.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Not all kit cars are lame. I agree that anyone that buys the lambo kits and puts the badges on them is a poser.

RCR superlite. Check these things on youtube, they are off the hook.

Ultima GTR

Factory Five Type 65

I don't know who made it, but the ferrari GTO replica from Vanilla Sky is awesome...

·
Banned
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, i was trying to say all kit cars suck there are some I like, like the FFR AC Cobra, and some custom ones that are not the "body kit" ones. Those body kit ones make it looks like a super car is damn stupid and like Todd said , poserish'. Couldn't imagine of embarrassing that would be to get smoked by like a BPU supra when it looks like a carrera GT lol..

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Can any of those cars be built for ~20k?

·
Registered
1,953 Posts

Pics???

·
Registered
608 Posts
How about you take a look at the Ultima GTR and factory five GTM before you go out and say such a stupid statment like that.

Those are orginal designs that the only thing that is used from the donor is the LS1 corvette powerplant which is a proven powerplant I may add.

You build one of those and it would bitch slap almost any real exotic.

Well, i was trying to say all kit cars suck there are some I like, like the FFR AC Cobra, and some custom ones that are not the "body kit" ones. Those body kit ones make it looks like a super car is damn stupid and like Todd said , poserish'. Couldn't imagine of embarrassing that would be to get smoked by like a BPU supra when it looks like a carrera GT lol..
Not all kits are built for performance unless your willing to invest a shit alot of money into the project. You can make any kitcar faster than any production car however it just won't be cheap. I remember reading an artical in kitcar magazine that featured a Kelmark GT that had a big block chevy create engine in it and made around 700hp and its topspeed was over 200mph and this was back in the early 90's when they built it.

I can tell you that theres plenty of those Lotus Super7 replicas out there that would give a real elise a headache at the autocross.

Would it be embarrasing to lose to a BPU Supra in the first place anyways?. I think its a very respectable car to lose to regardless of what your racing in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts