Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Will never work in court.

Can you name me one person that has been convicted and found guilty for STREET RACING according to how the law is written? (in Ontario)

Every person that has gone to court for supposed street racing charges has the charge changed to dangerous driving or something similar. Never have I seen/heard of ANYONE who has been 100% charged and fined for street racing.

This whole making street racing a criminal charge is a joke. Just more media bullshit to get peoples minds off of more important matters (toronto shootings, war out east, ect.)

·
Registered
168 Posts
i agree with Blackout only 34 ppl killed in the last 7 yrs? What about drunk driving? How many ppl have been killed by that in the last 7 yrs. Or smoking for that matter.

·
Registered
143 Posts
34 people killed, half of which were probably innocent bystanders. You can compare the stats all you want, but street racing kills innocent people and that is the bottom line. Try asking the families of those 34 people how they feel about street racing.

If people want to race, they should go to the track.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Slott said:
34 people killed, half of which were probably innocent bystanders. You can compare the stats all you want, but street racing kills innocent people and that is the bottom line. Try asking the families of those 34 people how they feel about street racing.

Maybe you should familiarize yourself with how things work in toronto.
The nearest track is in Cayuga, 2 hours away. If you do go, it costs a small fortune in gas, but then...Cops wait outside the track and pull you over, giving you BS tickets.

There has not been a death in an organized street race in toronto in many many years, if ever.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Slott said:

you should look into those stats. I guarantee youll find them flawed. It seems as though street racing is always initially blamed for speeding accidents. IE. the recent corvette crash. "alleged" street racing, now theyre just saying it was an accident.

The two kids that killed that taxi driver. He pulled out of a stop sign. Innocent bystanders? I dont think there are that many.

Same with drunk driving, just because they catch a few people here and there doesnt mean they would have caused an accident.

Everyone with half a brain can figure that out. Programs like this are used as deterants. But they have gone overboard with the street racing thing because the media has exposed it, hollywood has glorified it and the cops have gotten big time funding for it.

Ang

·
Eleventeen
297 Posts
It's a silly uneforceable law that refines already existing laws and will just make it easier to get off in court if charged

A good summary of why the bill sucks from a G&M reader

Wow this is a perfect example Straussian political thought. Create or exacerbate a problem where there isn't one, proclam that the sky is falling and the propose to the public that you will be the solution and you can bask in the glow of having saved the public from the menace of the day. The problems as other have already articulated above are: 1) How will one determine if it was street racing in the sense of 'the fast and the furious' or someone driving above the speed limit possibily with some other idiot doing the same beside them, yet not really racing each other 2) there are already laws on the books for speeding, loss of license for speeds 60 kmh over the limit and criminal laws to deal with vehicular manslaughter if a fatality occurs. This just ends up being more of a 'get tough on crime' sort of banner waving which the country can get behind and of course you announce said policy within close proximity to a recent fatality involving said crime so as to stoke public emotion. Its demogoguery plain and simple and sadly people fall for it. And I'm in no way a fan of street racing. Personally I dont understand the whole sub-culture or appeal and am in no way fascinated by 'tricked out' cars, which I think look ridiculous, though not as ridiculous as many of the people driving them nor the mentality that has someone spend $50 -$100K to 'trick out' a $25K Lancer. Just buy a porsche, ferrari or viper if you want to over compensate. So while I'm in no way a fan of 'illegal' street racing, I simply see this proposed law as akin to the Liberals recent handgun ban, like the one which was in existence for years. Neither necessary nor honestly intended. Merely smoke and mirrors game playing, proposing a solution to a over dramatised 'manufactured' problem.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
they deported a guy who was allegedly street racing in vancouver.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
There has been NO deaths from REAL street racing (read, ORGANIZED street racing) in southern ontario in over a decade.

These deaths from this so called street racing is the momo's driving daddy's mercedes or some idiot that just watched fast and the furious doing stop light races on public streets. That is not STREET RACING, that is dangerous driving. Hence why nobody has ever been charged for STREET RACING, just wreckless/dangerous driving, among other things.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I consider "stop light races on public streets" to be street racing. However, whether it is ORGANIZED or not, it doesn't belong on public roads in my opinion. I guess it all depends on what you consider to be 'street racing'. Not trying to start a war here, just expressing my opinion.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Lawmaker got to find something to do or else they don't get to re-elect. Simple as that.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Slott said:
I consider "stop light races on public streets" to be street racing. However, whether it is ORGANIZED or not, it doesn't belong on public roads in my opinion. I guess it all depends on what you consider to be 'street racing'. Not trying to start a war here, just expressing my opinion.
But in reality, they're not true enthusiasts. They're just dumbass kids who don't know how to drive and put other people at risk. Organized races are done where there are no risks to anyone other than the people who choose to be there - But generally just the people in the cars participating

And put it this way...You're obviously not "for" street racing...But based on the type of car you have, it'll get to the point even out in Kelowna, where you start getting profiled by cops as a result of it. THEN your opinion will change....

·
Registered
143 Posts
those "dumbass kids who don't know how to drive and put other people at risk" are exactly why I think it should be illegal. I agree that organized races are safer and done more responsibly but the lawmakers can't pass a law that distinguishes the dumbass kids from the organized racers.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Slott said:
those "dumbass kids who don't know how to drive and put other people at risk" are exactly why I think it should be illegal. I agree that organized races are safer and done more responsibly but the lawmakers can't pass a law that distinguishes the dumbass kids from the organized racers.
Right, but theyre not the ones that will be made examples of.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Slott said:
Exactly. Which is why if they expect this law to have ANY effect, they should build a track locally - This whole thing was made public because of what happened in Toronto primarily, not elsewhere...It's where all the media BS comes from. But it's funny how they want to pass this, yet they're unable to pass a bill for tougher minimum sentences for gun crimes for example...Makes you wonder sometimes.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Slott said:

I agree with youre points, personaly I believe drunk drivers should get a life sentence for anyone they kill or lose their cars if they havent caused harm. As for street racers theyre car should be confiscated. I knew a good guy that drove wrecklessly and ended up dying in an accident and killing the father of an innocent family. And as long as bystanders are present near the road, no one is completely safe in organized street racing either, I've seen alot of videos where someone looses traction in a street race and hits another car or bystander. It should be only done where no one can get hurt. A family shouldnt be ruined all because someone wants to find out whos car is faster.

·
1,020 Posts
Yet another very poorly designed law. It's one of those bullshit laws they need to implement, to gain votes and calm the crying mothers. Mothers of kids which died because their son was doing 200 km/h in a civic and wrapped it around a poll.

If I am street racing, and a cop is going to crush my car when I get caught. Do you think I am going to stop, how many other lives are you endangering by enforcing the law.

The day the canadian government takes an asset from me is the day I get militant.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
This is just plain ridiculous. Get your priorities right, folks.

Tobacco kills more people than cars, never mind the small percentage of cars that kill while racing. Tobacco also kills more innocent people, through second hand smoke. Why isn't smoking illegal?

Furthermore, if you want kids to race safely, you absolutely must provide a place for them to do so. BC has been closing down racetracks for years now, and refusing to let anyone open new ones. We recently had one of the airports that used to let us run organized events there pull out on us, because it got too popular - because the events were starting to get sponsorship from the local police and the RCMP.

It's like the off topic section here. If you don't provide the members a place to clown around and blow off steam, they will do so in your technical forums. Likewise, if you don't provide a place for kids to race, they will do so on the street. If you think more laws and stiffer penalties are going to change their minds, you need to wake up and look at the world again.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts