Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished a search, and came out of it more confused than ever. Can somebody please tell me if there were stock Toyota chrome rims made?

In the search, a few people said there were only polished rims, and what people call stock chrome rims, is actually polished aluminum.

Who here is absolutely positive about this?

·
Supra Addict Since 1984
362 Posts
The factory wheels from '93.5 to '96 were a painted satin silver finish. In '97 and '98 the wheel was highly polished and clear coated. Toyota never sold chromed wheels for the Supra from Japan. It's possible that a dealer could have had wheels chromed, but any factory Supra wheel with a chrome finish was chromed after-the-fact.

I have had two sets of factory 17" wheels chromed. It turns out nicely, and you can easily tell the difference between a chromed wheel and one with the factory (polished/cleared) finish.

John
www.utahracing.com/supras/john.html

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's funny. Two posts, and one says chrome and the other says they're polished. Looks like this is one misconception that will never end. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm going to have to agree with John. I purchased a 1995 Supra with chrome wheels from an original owner who said that the wheels came like that from the dealer. However, this guys was also detailed with his paperwork and documentation. After reviewing this information, I found a receipt made out to the Toyota dealer from a local shop that chromed the rims.

It seems that many people bought their Supras right from the dealer with aftermarket chrome.

My two cents,
Chris

·
4,417 Posts
Not sure if they are Chrome or polished... but there is a set for sale ... check parts wanted.

Yeah I know... shameless plug. But I can live with that! :D

R

·
0 Posts
Here's how you can tell. Take a magnet and place it on the wheel. If it sticks there chrome if not there polished aluminum. Painted silver, looks like there painted silver:) People mistake polished for chrome all the time. But if you see them side by side there is defiantly a difference. The chrome is more brilliant and is heaver. I think I remember reading the chrome is about 1lb per wheel heaver. It's also rotational weight so it's not like your just adding 4lbs. But don't worry about the weight unless your a all out racer:) Polished require lots of care scratch very easy but are repairable by the average person with some time (like for curb scrapes). Obviously major damage will require sending them out. Polished also have clear coat issues :rolleyes:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to the man with all the answers today....Jeff Watson. (No I didn't call him just to ask this question.) Chris is absolutely right. No chrome wheels came from Japan. A lot of Toyota dealers sent them out to be chromed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts