Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup all,

The polished lips on my wheels are stained pretty badly from weather when i was trailoring my car. I have tried the OEM polish (which has worked great before), Eagle 1 polishing wad, and meguires mag/aluminum polish and still NOTHING! its a little better, but still very noticable. :(

Should i try lots more elbow grease? or is there something else i could buy to get these back to normal.

thanks

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Are the lips clear coated or no?

I will ask my buddy tomorrow who does all the polishing for the shops around here what you can use.

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hua said:
Are the lips clear coated or no?

I will ask my buddy tomorrow who does all the polishing for the shops around here what you can use.
nope, not clear coated since i have to clean and polish them a couple times a week :(

·
ABM
497 Posts
heavy oxidation im guessing? try mothers mag aluminum polish with alot of elbow grease. the stuff seems to get anything off! im bound by meguiar's through contract..........but when no ones looking, mothers is the only polish/de-oxidizer that graces my wheels.:D

·
Mid-life Realization!
2,530 Posts
I would think the Mothers mag cleaner would work as well, but if not, you could use some Tarnite. Many years ago when I was a metal refinisher, that stuff would work wonders on stainless steel, bronze, brass, etc. If it can get acid-etched stains from bum's piss off of bronze, it should be able to lift your oxidation stains as well. Just put a small amount on the affected area, work it in, let it sit for for a few minutes and then wipe off using cotton. Best to follow with a cleaning thinner or acetone based solution to ensure all residue is removed (when you get no more black on your towel). Otherwise the acids in the Tarnite can burn your rim. It sounds more drastic than it really is and I first started using it on MKII mags back in mid-80's once the clear coat had worn away and on MKIII in the 90's with great results.

Brad

·
Administrator
8,793 Posts
Try a light acid based solution, spray on, your rims will turn to a white haze. Wipe down w/a cloth, then rub some mothers metal polish. The acid takes off any impurities on the surface.

Matt

·
Mid-life Realization!
2,530 Posts
FastTurb o said:
Try a light acid based solution, spray on, your rims will turn to a white haze. Wipe down w/a cloth, then rub some mothers metal polish. The acid takes off any impurities on the surface.

Matt
FYI. Tarnite is a acid-based solution with metal polishing componds all-in-one.... and can be bought at any hardware store. :D

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks everyone, i will buy some acid and burn some stuff up :D

J

·
0 Posts
Uhhh.... use laquer thinner? I used that once at the shop on an orange integra, whose painter did a messy job and got it all over the white Enkei's. laquer thinner worked like a charm.

·
Registered
84 Posts
what about a good product for clear coated wheels(enkei rp02j)? ...i usually use regular meguiers car soap and water then dry them with a terry cloth...seems like it works ok but i don't know how the long term effect will work out

sorry if im stealing your thread MK4LIFE

·
2014 E63 S
2,517 Posts
Order polish from here. I've tried everything, and this is absolutely the best polish - especially for non clearcoated wheels. I used the green and blue bottles and it works great and required the least amount of effort compared to other polishes.

http://www.heavymetalpolish.com/

·
Registered
807 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Try Using Mothers Billet Polish, it is the only thing that can restore the polished finish on my Blitz Wheels. I purchased it at Advanced Auto

1 - 17 of 17 Posts