Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
***TOP SECRET***
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of polishing my valve cover, turbo, and intake manifold. I was wondering what is the best way to get a mirror finish out of it. I have a buffing/sanding set that works on a dremel but I keep having problems with leaving pits. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Use a random orbital palm sander. polishing is a pain.. but the orbital helps.

·
I Didn't Do It!
1,030 Posts
there was a huge thread on this not to long ago, forget where, ill try to find it for you lots of good tips and items to use.

S

·
0 Posts
If you have the money and dont want to clean under the hood as much get it chromed

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Mack Ash said:
Iam thinking about doing this also. What are the advantages of polishing to having the parts chromed?

Polishing vs. Chrome

Polishing will not retain as much heat as Chrome, but you will need to maintain the luster of the metal by polishing the metal about once every two weeks.

Chrome is much easier to maintain, as it brings about a more shiny appearance, and is easier to clean. you can just get a rag and wipe it down. but, chrome is expensive, and it retains more heat than polishing, and also adds weight.

·
***TOP SECRET***
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what if you were to take high temp clear on the parts that have been polished, would that work?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Ohjustaguy said:
what if you were to take high temp clear on the parts that have been polished, would that work?

clearcoating polished parts causes a "yellowing" effect in time from the heat. i do hear the zoopseal works well though, but it is very expensive.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
use zoopseal or use a sealant to top it off. They won't cause yellowing.

Ohjustaguy said:

H

·
0 Posts
there are a few guys on here that do that you should pm them and ask them

1 - 10 of 10 Posts