Supra Forums banner

Polk/Momo 6.5s - Finally!

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  SupraDex 
#1 ·
Guys,

Thanks all for the input. Special props to Thomas and Ranger for helpin' me out. Sorry to you dial-ups, but I had to post a few pics. :D

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
wow very sweet look could you do me a big favor and show me the inside door pics of how you mounted them also glad i could help out in some way!
Sorry, Ranger, I got spooked and took it to a local pro for the install and forgot to tell him to snap some pics. :(

how do you like the sound with the tweeters in the lower kick panels? i'm still figuring where i should mount my boston tweeters.
by the way, i hope you have really dark tint...those polks are eye catchers.
The sound is crystal clear with no distortion. The only prob is I burn most of my music (ssshhh, off napster) ;), and the imperfections show through a little more than store-bought stuff. But, gotta give a little to get a little, right? :D The tweeters in the kick-plates give a "roundness" that didn't seem to be there with just the stock tweets, but I don't know how different they would have sounded in the stock postition.

No tint. I had a dark tint on my '84 (MKII) and my '87 (MKIII) and was constantly battling the darkness at night. Plus, my '84 was stolen (never recovered :mad: ) and my '87 suffered 3 break-ins and 3 stereo system replacements! Those darn college campuses!

So now that I'm a little older and a lot more blind, :eek: I've opted for more insurance and less tint.

Keep 'em on the roads guys!

[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: SupraDex ]

[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: SupraDex ]

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Very nice, are those the grilles that came with the speaker set or are they custom made?
Flavio,

Thanks. The grills came that way. They really look like they were made for my car. I was afraid of the "rice" factor and almost went back with my stock grills, but I think they turned out pretty cool. BTW, I saw your thread after you had your dawg detailed. In a word, CLEAN! That shinin' really set off your dawg's color. Good show! :D

Discussion starter · #8 ·
How much did you pay to have them install the speakers and which shop did the install??
Tom,

Yeah, I pussed out and hired it done. I'm not gonna take that kind of chance. Some guys here in town, Audio Concepts, did it for me. They wired up the amp, mounted my 10" Cerwin Vega in some wood in the trunk, loaded the 6.5s and the tweets all for $150. I didn't think this was outrageous. It def. sounded better than some torn up doors if I tried it! ;)

Thanks for the suggestion on the dampening material. I can handle that myself. I'm sure the bass will improve. I'm doin' that as soon as I get a chance.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Very nice set-up. Just wondering on the cost of the speakers and the shop you bought them from.
Thanks, Joey.

They retail between $5-600 for the 6.5s + tweets + crossovers. But I found a few sets on e-bay and on Thepartstrader.com for $300, delivered. I ended up buying from someone in the Chicago area, but Thomas could probably help you out. (and no, I don't work for Custom Sounds, but I owe Thomas one for the advice) ;)

BTW, SWEET DAWG!! I miss black. My first two were black and nothin' shines up finer. GL if you decide to upgrade.

Discussion starter · #14 ·
SupraDex - How many amps are you running? Also, what brand of amp do you have too? Thanks.
-Shawn
You've got mail! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.