• open dump

Votes: 258 66.3%
  • re-circulated

Votes: 131 33.7%
41 - 60 of 248 Posts

·
2JZ S13
2,204 Posts
the recirc. sounded pretty good too though....

·
intarwebs master
1,393 Posts
1) do i want to scare children and old ladies?
2) do i care if people think my car is broken? (which already sounds broken due to LWFW)
3) will i get bored of it or grow hate towards the open dump sound?
4) will my T51R turbo whine sound be overwhelmed by the open dump?
5) will my RPS manifold sound gay at high rpm with WG open?
6) yes im putting a t51r on an rps manifold, and yes i care how it will sound (as if you couldnt tell i chose both for sound related reasons)
7) which wastegate setup will sound more powerful to the average person that doesnt know what kind of power an APU supra is likely running?

TL;DR:
open dump or recirculated?
Most of the open dump fans are correct, you will only get the open dump sound when the waste gate is actuated - but this isn't JUST at WOT depending on your tune, however it is mostly at WOT...

for me, I enjoy driving my car like it was meant to be driven - but making noise for the sake of making noise is useless... If you spend the money to plumb it back into the downpipe properly there is negligible performance decrease (if any).

I will say that subaru open dump WG's for whatever reason seem to sound a lot louder than I've heard on the 2jz videos... for me, I daily drive my car, and I want to enjoy it - the last thing I need to do is attract more attention. I'm not knocking the guys that like that sound - as I stated previously I like the sound also but it's just too loud for me - I enjoy rolling windows down...

ALSO for me the local track had complaints that my car was too loud (the 08 STi) and with a DB meter measured from the padock it was something ridiculous like 125db, from nearly 100ft - now, consider that you are IN that car for a full day of HPDE - it's really really loud.

I don't agree with sports cars MEANT to be loud, sports cars are MEANT to be fast - any dumbass in a civic can make their car LOUD.... I mean if you really want it LOUD run a 4" straight pipe from the turbo back, no muffler, no resonator, no cats - and run dump tube out the side pointing at the window of your would be street racer foe! :)

Also if you are worried about noise tickets, it's easy to play that one off - with no load short of running some type of launch control, the WG will never open, so as long as your NORMAL exhaust is not too loud, the WG would be an easy one to play off...

Here is what I would say - If you don't mind tinkering with your car, you're not going to HURT anything by starting with open dump, if you don't like it, get it plumbed into the downpipe - it'll cost you some time and maybe a few more bucks, but at least you won't hate yourself for not trying it... I may do the same when I choose to go single, I've never owned an open dump supra, so I'll probably at least try it - my experience with the subaru was that it was just FUGGIN LOUD!

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
thx, all that is good info.

your 'advice' also matches up with my thoughts.
im not gonna lie im a noob, ive never had open dump before so i have no idea how it will be on a day to day basis.

i dont expressly want to re&re the manifold just to plumb in the WG but its probably worth the money to do so just so i can get a good sample of what open dump is really like, and thats IF i dont like it enough to do that :)

wow maybe i could think ahead and install a capped off vband flange on the side of my downpipe so i can quickly switch between open dump and recirc

holy shit epiphany.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well it depends if more on if you like the mean sound of an external wastegate opening at full boost or if you prefer the sound of your turbo spooling with a recirculated wg.

I prefer the sound of recirculatedl wg though cause I love the sound of the turbo spooling. If you cant decide, just have a little spot on your downpipe that can be sealed shut or opened up with some bolts, so that if you dont like the sound of an open wg, you can always add a pipe after the wg to recirculate it.

·
2JZ S13
2,204 Posts

·
Fast Enough, Never Is.
920 Posts
Open dump forever and on anything I will ever own. There is nothing like the open dump sound, that wastegate screaming man I want to drive my car now, but its been raining for 3 days straight.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
i am going that route, but now i just need to strategize how easy it will be to put a capped flange on the DP for possible future use.

i say this because being a perfectionist, i will need it perfect and ready to swap open to recirc at any time, so i cant just throw a flange on there (although i guess i could... either way it would make converting easier i think)

wait isnt it easy to switch from recirculated to open? like super easy?
if i just get the header fabbed for recirculated i can modify it in a few minutes with a vband cap and a piece of dump tube and use existing vband flange on the WG to point the dump downwards!
then i can just start out with open dump for the crazy sound and remove the cap and switch it to recirc in like 5 minutes if i ever start hating it

brilliant!

[edit] ahh noo page 2!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, pretty much that. If you have a flange on your downpipe, I dont think it would take more than a couple of minutes to switch up the pipes and go open wg.

·
Supraddict
1,151 Posts
Decided I would post more "aggressive" sounding re-circ videos. The old-school RPS kits with their infamous equal length manifolds had re-circulated WG's, and they sound insane. Mani J's car with the RPS T66 kit, re-circ and Super Dragger is to this day the best sounding Supra bar none :rockon:

Chris Johnson/Performance Motorsports, RPS T66

SW RPS T72 Supra, run 1

SW RPS T72 Supra, run 2

SW RPS T72 Supra vs. PHR Single'd Supra vs. Trans Am

SW's Dyno

Mani J's car @ 4:14

JPJ video of Mani J's car, sound @ 4:22 onwards

Mani J's car at USCC 2002

JPJ sale video, fast forward to 3:30

Unknown setup, but sounds INSANE.

Sound Performance SP74 (Older gen. re-circulated kit) take-off

Hope this helps some people with their decision :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I think the RPS manifold isn't the perfect example, even though the OP is planning on running one. I think an RPS combined with an open dump (what I plan to do when I get my hands on an RPS) would be just impossible to put into words. That being said, those are some damn good videos!! lol

Reid

·
Registered
248 Posts
Open dump, gives me the speed rush ...My country here has now pollution and noise regulation so basically is run what you like ,i run 4inch straight pipe and FR twin wastegate with really short dumpipe .It always scare bystanders and other cars when i floor it.

It's easy ,just dont floor the car when you are in town.With 76 turbo ,you be in vacuum most of the time...

·
ΣΦE
445 Posts
pussies............an open wastegate is the greatest sound in the friggin world...........end or story !!!!!!!
+1!

I had open dump on my 04 STi and loved it! Will be doing the same for every car I get the chance!

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Info on the second video from the bottom! (blue supra) I always wanted to no wat the setup was..the engine sounds great along wit the turbo screamin!

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
I really hate when i watch videos and they morrired the images. If you notice on the "Mani J's car at USCC 2002" at 9 seconds they show the engine in reverse. Intake on wrong side.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
ive seen that blue supra before, i only know it by "10,500 rpm supra"
theres a clip on youtube with exactly that serch keyword, and it will yield a couple results with that car.

i might aswell link this one, i just noticed now it was posted on youtube by kirkmkiv, so if he can chime in he can probably tell us alot about it. (unless hes a copy paster, oh my gad)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lch_exQJPzc

thats actually one of my favourite videos purely due to the sound it makes followed by the 100 foot high speed patch it lays on the ground :)

[edit]
in other news, as of right now open vs recirc is respectively 60%/40%. the sample data size is still too small though, only about 80 people have voted.
so get voting theres like 10x more views of this thread than there are votes wtf.
voting performance like that can lead to me making jokes about people being elected to government.

anyone and everyone should be able to form a decent opinion of which they prefer solely based on the audio/video provided so far in this thread :)

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
the 10,500rpm supra is Fabio's... it is probably one of the most exotic supras ever built. i think at one time it was running Ti con rods and something like a 100mm turbo. info was previously available with 'search'.

craig

41 - 60 of 248 Posts