Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Supra NA
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my Stillen front bumper refitted and repainted about a month ago. Yesterday some asshole backed into it with a trailer hitch and took off. When I came out to see why my alarm was going off there were two dime sized holes/cracks in the polyurethane. I am pissed about the paint damage but my major concern is the poly.

Can polyurethane be repaired or will I have to buy an entire new Stillen front facia to fix the damage???

·
Administrator
4,972 Posts
Stillen has a lifetime warranty, for normal wear and tear damage, but not for impacts like you're describing.

You can have it repaired by "plastic welding" which is basically taking a torch or maybe a soldering iron, melting it and busing it back into the general shape. Then sand, add a little filler, sand, primer and paint. Any bodyshop should be able to handle it.

·
Registered
1995 Toyota Supra NA
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet thats what I was hoping to hear. I didn't think that it would be a total loss. You just made my day. Thanks RSA, you da man! :bigthumb:

·
Administrator
4,972 Posts
No problem. My parent's Benz got rear ended by a Cadi that left 2 big imprints in the bumper. We got quotes from $750 to $120 to replace and repaint the bumper. My bodyshop just heated it up, reshaped it and painted it for a fraction of that.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
I have a stillen front bumper that i purchased used that was repaired as well almost the exact same way that RSA Supra said by some body shop(unkown to me) and it cracked again on the former owner, the shop i took it too works on polyurethane and said there are a steps that they need to use to have this repaied correctly and that who ever did the work did a bad job at it by using a filler that harden's and has no flex is not the right thing to use ,only because polyurethane is flexable and most fillers that shops use is not and they dont mix well together.

so insure proper bonding, it is essential that the filler rods be used are made with the same or high grade resins used in the material being welded.

if you want ill get the exact info for you and send it to you when i have time ok .

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
a few years ago I layed my bike down and the plastic fairings got damaged badly. Of course they were well over a thousand bucks to replace them and I wanted a custom paint job. I had repaired all the fairings using an epoxy call marine tex (misspelled?) and it worked great. A few years later the guy who bought my bike layed it down and the fairings got less scratched on the areas where the epoxy was than the areas where the original plastic layer resided. I didn't think that the epoxy would be that strong but I know now.

Joe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts