Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Back to boosting!
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, tonite while I was making tuning passes on a highway close by and I make a u-turn to make more passes back. As I do I get on it in 1st and I hear POW!! I make another u-ie and pull into a parkin lot. As soon as I start braking, steam is billowing out from under the hood. I open her up to find a blade missing off my fan and coolant pouring out of the rad. Ouch...I guess it's time to get a nice rad and lectric fans...and see if the motor's ok...
Ouch...
:( :( :(

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
oh wow man, that sucks!!!

another fan shroud taken out by a frozen fan clutch...

i suggest getting a set of Ford Cougar or Contour fans... they are the curved blade, dual 14" IIRC. i have a set, but never installed them. they fit almost PERFECTLy over the stock radiator and they move copious amounts of air!!!

i got my set for ~$50 off ebay. i was the only bidder. apparanlty they are low demand

·
Registered
689 Posts
oh damn! it just plain broke off??

you musta been running some mad rpms :p

really tho, how does a fan clutch freeze up? i might wanna look into this before i put my engine back together.

·
Back to boosting!
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dunno if it locked up, but I never has a shroud to begin with...
and my fan is spaced out bout 1.5 inches
one single blade broke off
ouch...ouch...
Pic:

·
Take it!
996 Posts
same thing happened to me! I was driving normally on the road and when i was in 3rd gear, I hear a pop in the engine,I see all parts of my car fall out underneath as I watch from my rearview mirror. I pulled to the side of the road and i opened my hood and my fan was basically in pieces all over the engine and my shroud was completely gone. The damage even affected my K&N FIPK, sucks, I know. Cost me 300 bucks to replace everything!

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
by the looks of that picture i'd have to agree with soupedupsupra... the fan probably flexed and hit the radiator or radiator brackets and just snapped.. causing the damage to the radiator as well.

if i were you i would remove that spacer and just get a fan shroud... or electric fans

·
Registered
376 Posts
id have to agree with soupedupsupra, the stock fan flexes too much to have it that close, the only way i'd space it is if i had a metal rad fan. oh well... at least it gives you an excuse to spend money on a nice fluidyne and a set of electric fans.. good luck and i've always been a fan of your coil pack! :)

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Ruined my BRAND new CFW radiator. I've been trying to get an interest in making a blue uretane one, that will NOT break, but there's no interest in it. 300Z's have some carbon fiber one's that are just pimp. We need another replacement for these. i don't care if it's blue (hint hint duane)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Chrisco said:
by the looks of that picture i'd have to agree with soupedupsupra... the fan probably flexed and hit the radiator or radiator brackets and just snapped.. causing the damage to the radiator as well.

if i were you i would remove that spacer and just get a fan shroud... or electric fans
What type of situation is going to cause this to happen? A foreign object? Weakened 15+ year old fan blades?

flubyux2, If the fan clutch freezes, how could this cause the loss of a fan blade?

I'm seriously interested to learn how this could happen. This will be another reason to move flexalites higher up on my list.

·
Back to boosting!
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NeSSuS-GTE said:
What type of situation is going to cause this to happen? A foreign object? Weakened 15+ year old fan blades?

flubyux2, If the fan clutch freezes, how could this cause the loss of a fan blade?

I'm seriously interested to learn how this could happen. This will be another reason to move flexalites higher up on my list.
Well, that fan is old as hell and when my shroud broke it rubbed on it a bit so it was prolly weakened. The only prob with thinkin that the flex did it is that only 1 blade broke. A single blade. Also, my k&n which is sitting next to it wasn't touched at all...

Oh yeah, chrisco: Can't remove the spacer, see that nice bracket and wheel attached to my crank pulley?? STANDALONE. The fan didn't clear the bolts or bracket so I moved it.

Yeah, I'm getting electrics now tho...this is as good a reason as any...:cry:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Its a pretty interesting situation... and not fun. Anytime something on my car goes 'POP!' I have to change my drawers. Like the first time I blew an IC hose.. scared me worse then Fuel Cut. :)

·
Matthew 6:33
887 Posts
Never seen that before but going down 95 my fan shroud must have had a crack in it and the fan sucked the shroud in and broke it all to heck. When I pulled in, the shroud was actually behind the fan spinning on its own. Luckily it only tore the temp sending unit wire loose. Could have been much worse.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts