Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go over bumps I hear like a poping noise coming from the front end. I had a shop look at it and they said everything seemed fine. All ball joints, tierod ends and bushings looked good. Any ideas what this could be or is it normal?

·
Registered
632 Posts
yeah if you had the bushings and everything checked on the control arms i would say motor mounts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Urban Customs has a set of motor mounts for sale 70 bucks, they're off a 95 not sure if they're different on 98's or not.

·
Buy Wholesale
585 Posts
i've got what seems to be the same issue

what harm will this cause to the car, as i dont have the dough to lay out to replace motor mounts!! should i just park the car and save up?? or can i keep driving it???

·
Noise ≠ Power...
638 Posts
I kept driving my car with the noise and never noticed a problem. I think mine has worked its way through now as the popping is almost never. Can't say its good for the car, but nothing's gone wrong (knocks on wood) so I can't say its bad either...?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Bottom Ball joint on the front end!!!!! I replaces mine last week no poping but my boot was cracked. My other friend had a poping noise last month and figured it was the ball joint, when he was driving it into the shop and and turned the wheel hard to pull into the stall the jount snaped, and the control arm jamed into the brake rotor. He was lucky this didnt happen on the street. If you have over 100K miles and you hear poping in the front be safe and get you ball joints replaced.

Its not cheap but your life is more important.

(INFO: you cant get just the ball jounts, you have to buy the whole control arm..)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Guys, just because a shop says it's normal doesn't mean its normal. The car doesn't "pop" when its brand new for a reason, cause it's NOT normal. I've had several shops misdiagnose problems on my cars over the years. Shops make mistakes quite often. Mechanics are full of shit quite often IMO. Exact reason why people want low maintenance cars (Camry, Accord, etc.), because they don't want to be dealing with mechanics and their bs misdiagnoses, misrepresentations, and going on wild goose chases for repairs.

Possible causes of popping noises: motor mounts, diff mounts (was for me), loose caster cam (was for me), rear control arms (was for me), transmission mount (was for me). Don't just start changing these areas because of a suspicion. CONFIRM the suspicion first. I changed motor mounts (MKIV.com's advice) for no god damn reason suspecting they were the cause. $600 later (parts and labor) the noise was still there in full force. Teaches you the hard way to CONFIRM a suspicion area first before going ahead with the repair instead of just repairing based on suspicion and instinct. :(

I could have sworn they were the motor mounts lol. Boy was I wrong, and I paid over $600 for it. :rolleyes:

oh, and after you repair something that you confirmed was the cause of a noise, don't be surprised to be still experiencing a noise here and there. Happened to me. Found out I didn't just have bad diff mounts, my trans mount was discovered bad after that, and my caster cam was discovered loose after that. :rolleyes:

·
Filmmaker
2,719 Posts
LOL i dont know if I have the same problem, but when i turn the wheel enough when im backing out of a spot, i hear this pop, not to loud but you can feel it, its only when going slow backing up, never while driving normally and turning or driving aggresivly and turning.

Matt

·
Registered
952 Posts
i also get a pop when i brake to slow down to a stop or to go over a bump. Anyways, I'm thinking it might be my suspension or maybe the suspension bushing needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
DTSupra30 said:
LOL i dont know if I have the same problem, but when i turn the wheel enough when im backing out of a spot, i hear this pop, not to loud but you can feel it, its only when going slow backing up, never while driving normally and turning or driving aggresivly and turning.

Matt
omg I have the EXACT same problem. Pops when backing with the wheel turned. Not too loud but you can feel it more than anything. And it never occurs driving normally for me either. Is yours auto or 6 spd?

·
1,020 Posts
KevinB6876 said:
omg I have the EXACT same problem. Pops when backing with the wheel turned. Not too loud but you can feel it more than anything. And it never occurs driving normally for me either. Is yours auto or 6 spd?

I had the same problem.

My passenger side motor mount was loose.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts