Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
My dad has a 951 that we are thinking about turning into a project. I have heard that this is a great swap. Any idea where I can find more info about the ls1?

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
:bigthumb: Wow looks great! I wonder how the quality is? But GREAT idea, those 944 bodies are next to nothign to pick up and you get rid of the biggest money dump in it. Great swap!

·
I CAN HAS WELFARE
3,413 Posts
Crazy idea's are in my head.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Whatever said:
Thanks, it seems like a pretty reasonable project from a money perspective. I couldnt imagine the car with that type of power over such a large rpm range.

Maybe I should pull the 2jz-gte out of my supra and swap it into my dad's 951?? :)

Hi-Psi: is that what you are thinking?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't feel like using the mouse so someone tell me how much this swap would cost (approximately) please.

My girlfriend's dad just picked up a 944 and was quoted $9000 for engine work. I said that doesn't surprise me but I didn't even think about swapping in an LS1. I might have to propose this one.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's like 2100 for the base kit, but there are a bunch of other options you can add like:
$899 Renegade 944 to LS-1 complete cooling system, including high efficiency custom radiator, HP puller fan and mounts, thermostatic control switch, 30 amp relay, and pre-wired harness, assembled and ready for installation in the stock 944 radiator location.

$749 Renegade custom built LS-1 high flow headers with 1 ¾-inch primaries and 3-inch collectors.

$200 High Temp ceramic header coating inside and out.

$145 Custom r emote f ilter oil lines. (one pair with all needed fittings.)

$25 Coolant temperature sending unit with correct VDO output. (Please specify your gauge value when ordering)

$45 Oil pressure sending unit with correct VDO output. (Please specify your gauge value when ordering)

$20 Oil pressure sending unit adapter.

$355 Kevlar high performance clutch disc upgrade ($100 added to upgrade stock disc included with basic conversion kit.)

$440 Stock 12 inch genuine GM flywheel and pressure plate

$335 High performance stage two yellow pressure plate.

$285 LS-1 custom modified fuel rail system with correct fittings for your Porsche stock fuel lines. (Core charge $125)

$140 / pr. Energy Suspension motor mount upgrade plus mount modification ($90 added to upgrade stock mounts included with basic conversion kit.)

$145 Swivel 180 degree thermostat and housing for added frame rail clearance over stock LS-1 thermostat.

$75 / pr. Custom built power steering lines (cores required).

$240 Stock genuine GM LS-1 Camaro starter (new).
From $390 LS-1 computer programming. (Available with complete emissions all the way to full race.)

From $450 LS-1 to 944 complete custom modified fuel injection harness with emissions.

From $425 LS-1 to 944 complete custom fuel injection harness without emissions.

$285 LS-1/LT-1 custom CV/transaxle mounted speed sensor kit with reluctor ring and GM plug.

$140 LS-1 computer (programming required, core charge $250).

$29 LS-1/LT-1 right angle throttle body intake boot 4 inch to 3.5 inch.

$29 LS-1/LT-1 right angle intake boot 3.5 inch to 3.5 inch

$20 ft. LS-1/LT-1 aluminum 3.5 inch intake tubing per foot.

$85 LS-1 to 944 custom throttle cable

$125 LS-1/LT-1 Optima billet battery tray for cell relocation.

$2550 944 “Big Red” brake upgrade kit complete with 993 twin turbo four piston calipers and new pads, caliper adapters, 993 turbo rotors, custom brake lines, used late model turbo struts and hubs, 928 proportioning valve, and hardware.

$215 944 stock replacement brake master cylinder (new).

$95 944 stock replacement clutch master cylinder (new).

$180 LS-1 power steering delete kit for manual rack application.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Renegade Hybrids has been doing these swaps for a LONG time into 944's, 928's, 914's, and 911's. The great thing about this is that the LS1 weighs I think 90 lbs. less than the LT1 and only changes the weight distribution by 1%.

·
!black
4,625 Posts
I will tell you, a 911 with a mildly hot 350 chevy will friggin GO. I've been in a RH converted 911 that sported a 450hp 396" stroked SBC, that thing was nuts.

·
Administrator
17,247 Posts
Can you shoehorn an LS1 into a 911? Their site does not mention that specifically. Now THAT WOULD ROCK THE HOUSE! :)

They mention small block Chevy swaps for 911s while retaining 930 (ish) levels of weight distribution, but how about an LS1 swap? :D

Steve T.

·
!black
4,625 Posts
LS1 would probably work. Solves the issue of carb clearance for the decklid. Water pumps are the only issue, but there again, there might not be one with the LS1.

The flat 6 motor is pretty frigging big if anyone has ever seen one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'll guess that if a chevy 350 iron block will fit then the alumin LS1 block would fit also. I think the dimensions are very similar as both are pushrod V8s. The LS1 would be about 80-100lbs lighter also. Maybe more if the 350 they refer to has iron heads also. So the weight dist would be even better.

As mentioned, fuel injection lowers the height quite a bit.

Steve Theodore said:
Can you shoehorn an LS1 into a 911? Their site does not mention that specifically. Now THAT WOULD ROCK THE HOUSE! :)

They mention small block Chevy swaps for 911s while retaining 930 (ish) levels of weight distribution, but how about an LS1 swap? :D

Steve T.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It took them along time to put out the kit for the 944, so who knows how long till they do it for the 911/928/914 models. I think the 944 is the most popular candidate for their products so that is why they made the kit for it first.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts