Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Secret Squirrel Shit
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking at Boxsters locally and was wondering how reliable the cars are. Anything bad about say the 98-02s?

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
Nothing solid for you, but I've ridden in a 50k mile 98 Boxster and it seemed reasonably solid. A friend of mine bought it with no warranty and hasn't had to put any serious money into stuff, meaning nothing unexpected other than routine service. Another co-worker of mine has an 04 Boxster S, but I suspect that it's extremely low mileage and still covered under warranty.

Have you posted this question to any P-car forums?

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
My friend's dad has had one for 3-4 years now and it has not had any significant problems. Porsche has always had a good reputation for mechanical soundness and this one has proven to be up to par to the reputation. We've put it through several abusive spirited drives and nothing never failed us. :)

-Olivier

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
As an owner of a 2001 996 I can give you some general insights, but I'd suggest you check out www.renntech.com and www.rennlist.com to do your own searches....

Overall the cars are sound but there have been problems with rear main seal failures. It's an inexpensive parts, but since you have to drop the transmission to get to it its a pain in the ass or a $800 fix. I haven't had any major problems, but I did have replace all six coil packs at around 55k miles due to heat cracks. There were some issues with porous blocks that necessitated full engine replacment, but if that doesn't happen by 50k miles I don't think it would happen. Overall I'm happy with my current car, but it's no supra in terms of reliability....but then again what is?

Shawn

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
James,

The power output is definitely down in comparison to a stock or especially a BPU Supra.

To make up for the lack of power, you get a lighter weight, better handling vehicle. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I once read a very apt quote that was essentially, "A 911 is an all around athlete, not a weight lifter." The Supra is a weight lifter.

My long term plan involves developing a custom turbo kit for the car so that should take care of any concerns about power. In the meantime, I'm still quicker than 99% of vehicles on the road....just not Supras :)

I guess I'm getting a bit old, but I was also getting a little tired of the direction of young import crowd. It moves up the food chain a bit....now instead of 16 year old boys admiring your car, everyone admires your car

·
!black
4,622 Posts
Ubermensch said:
James,

The power output is definitely down in comparison to a stock or especially a BPU Supra.

To make up for the lack of power, you get a lighter weight, better handling vehicle. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I once read a very apt quote that was essentially, "A 911 is an all around athlete, not a weight lifter." The Supra is a weight lifter.

My long term plan involves developing a custom turbo kit for the car so that should take care of any concerns about power. In the meantime, I'm still quicker than 99% of vehicles on the road....just not Supras :)

I guess I'm getting a bit old, but I was also getting a little tired of the direction of young import crowd. It moves up the food chain a bit....now instead of 16 year old boys admiring your car, everyone admires your car

I hear ya. Strait line power isn't everything, and I agree about the clientele the Supra often attracts. One reason I like the mk3, 90% of the mkiv's components, 0% of it's fanboy base

Have any pics of the car? I've been really thinking about an all-a rounder to drive, as my lust for strait line brutality is somewhat dropping off these days.

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
Thanks for replying to the thread Shawn. I love Porsches myself, and it's always nice to hear from those who have moved and and are enjoying other fine cars! The pursuit of straightline speed is indeed not the only motivating force to own a specific car. ;)

BTW...have you read up on the new 911 (997) GT3? My lord...what a great car! And, they're going to have a GT3 RS model as well in time! :eek: :)

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
Steve, that's fun reading but when they're that far out of my price range I can only enjoy it so much....It's going to be a monster though....

·
Champagne Papi
5,700 Posts
Steve Theodore said:
Thanks for replying to the thread Shawn. I love Porsches myself, and it's always nice to hear from those who have moved and and are enjoying other fine cars! The pursuit of straightline speed is indeed not the only motivating force to own a specific car. ;)

BTW...have you read up on the new 911 (997) GT3? My lord...what a great car! And, they're going to have a GT3 RS model as well in time! :eek: :)
From what i've understood it is going to be 415hp out of a 3.8L flat 6. And it is pulling out 118hp/L? I'm hoping the new RS can beat the S2000 record of 120hp/L

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
For the record, Porsche rated 2nd in long term dependability in JD Power's study. However, they also ranked next to last in initial quality. So who knows, maybe the long term test was biased due to the fact that most Porsche owners don't put a ton of miles on their cars as they would with a Toyota?

All I know is Audi/VW are horribly unreliable. I would expect more from Porsche, but who knows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts