Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if anyone has successfully installed a set of Porsche calipers (911 Turbo, etc...) to the front or rear of their MKIV. I have a friend who will be fitting a set on his RX-7, and he used Cayenne Turbo brakes. Any constructive input would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
BPU is so 1997
5,353 Posts
The TT has good brakes as it is. I don't think most people are into just bolting on calipers from other vehicles just for the hell of it.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
What exactly would be the point? Stock system is great as is and it's not like there isn't a "bolt-on" big brake kit available for the supra.

·
Registered
103 Posts
there is a supra here i have seen with porsche front brakes, not sure what porsche they are designed for

he loves them, the car is a stripped race car with GT42R

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
i wouldn't ever touch something as vital as a braking system with the intent of to "bolt on" other cars' brakes. stoptech brake kits for instance are made proportional to your master cyl so you'll retain good balance. just taking calipers off one car to hack them up to fit your car is not only extremely dangerous, but completely a waste of money.

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,100 Posts
^No doubt, supra brakes are great as is, and messing with the brake system is not a very smart idea, unless like mentioned above by using a specific brake kit such as Stoptech or Brembo.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well since the car is a NA, I don't see an issue of getting different brakes. Of course if you get something totally huge and don't do R&D on bias, you could end up with major problems. I had heard of people using Porsche brakes on several cars to include MKIVs, and was looking for a response from someone in the know.

I was considering ugrading to a set of brakes similar to these:
Porsche brakes

Any suggestions on a better idea would be appreciated. I prefer Brembo due to past experiences with those, with two peice rotors. What is the best kit available for the MKIV? This car has a single big turbo upgrade in it's future.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I probably will, I just want to know all the options. And I thought someone in here had a set of the Porsche brakes already, so I could ask them about the install.

·
Digital DNA
353 Posts
Yes, I could see your friend doing it to his Rex, since the braking is not as superior as the Toyota's, however, I would think it would be easier and possibly cheaper for him to just buy a big brake kit made for his car.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JZA80TT2002 said:
Yes, I could see your friend doing it to his Rex, since the braking is not as superior as the Toyota's, however, I would think it would be easier and possibly cheaper for him to just buy a big brake kit made for his car.
I am sure he knows what he is doing, since he is a mechanical engineer and fabricated the brackets to make them fit his 1994 model. And from what I remember, he paid about $700 for the set of brakes, not bad imho. I'm not saying that would happen on a Supra though.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
dasboost said:
I am sure he knows what he is doing, since he is a mechanical engineer and fabricated the brackets to make them fit his 1994 model. And from what I remember, he paid about $700 for the set of brakes, not bad imho. I'm not saying that would happen on a Supra though.

Sorry to say being a machanical engineer does not make him know anything! As a matter of fact from alll the engineers I have worked with, there is a common theme among them. They KNOW everything or so they think ;)

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
whoah...whoah...whoah...
Lets not just go banging on Engineers...we know plenty.

Dasboot, I definately would not assume that because your buddy has a piece of paper that says he knows what F=MA means that he knows anything about making 911 breaks work properly on a supra....that is a BAD BAD ASSUMPTION.

Most of my mechanical engineer friends know less about cars than I do....and I'm a sparky.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
flash_e_gt said:
whoah...whoah...whoah...
Lets not just go banging on Engineers...we know plenty.

Dasboot, I definately would not assume that because your buddy has a piece of paper that says he knows what F=MA means that he knows anything about making 911 breaks work properly on a supra....that is a BAD BAD ASSUMPTION.

Most of my mechanical engineer friends know less about cars than I do....and I'm a sparky.

I be a injuneer two so wach wat you sayd! about "breaks" since Porsches have "brakes" :rolleyes:

Since my early pre-engineering school education was heavy on grammar and spelling, it bugs me when professionals are not 100%, especially on such a professional forum as this one ;) ....j/k flash_e_gt I'm sure you just had a temporary mental infarction of the third kind.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
TooJayZee said:
your a what ?

sparky as in short circuit sparks ... EE

·
Registered
534 Posts
just put a porsche sticker over the supra calipers......now you've got brakes just as good as a supra. on a serious note, you can get rebuilt oem TT brakes from your local parts store. you need to turn in your old brakes for core refund. one of the cheapest ways to get new brakes. that's what I did. they came painted flat black with the supra logo screened on.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
If you are going to give the calipers a shot. You may want to think about the Calipers on the new viper, I think they are in the area of $325 or so. Or the new zo6 vette for around the same price (but arent available yet). A few years ago I did a brake upgrade on my old mk2 supra. I put vette 13" rotors and Porsche (brembo) calipers. It definately stopped a whole lot better than stock. I install brakes and suspension for a living but there are many things to consider when making your own braking system. It is probably best left up to the guys who know what they are doing. Doing the TT brakes sounds like it is the most logical, cost effective, and one of the best you will find. Just my $.02

Lawrence

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
The Porsche calipers are really popular for upgrading brakes on german cars. I know the Audi community loves them. But the TT brakes on the supra are perfectly fine for any street driving you can think up, and are not 1/2 bad on the track either with some track pads. If you are going to track the car often, you will probably want larger brakes than the TT has. Several companies make large 4-6 piston upgrades for the supra.

However, based on your original post I would have to agree with most everyone else that the TT brakes will be your best brake for the $$. IIRC, it was hard to find a set of good Porsche calipers for much under $1000, and then you still have to worry about adapter brackets (not something you want to "backyard engineer!") and getting the right thickness rotors. If you want something cooler looking, consider a set of slotted rotors (or cross drilled if you *don't* intend to track the car).

For what it's worth, I would trust my braking system to less than 5% of most graduating engineers. And even with that 5%, I would still demand to see a full analysis before I considered putting anything on the car. If youhave a caliper bracket fail, it ain't pretty!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts