Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
9's Club
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently own a 05 Eddie Bauer expedition, and I’m tired of the fact that is a mission to find parking for it, every soccer mom owns one, the rear view mirrors look like 2 40" plasma screens that I have to fold constantly, and it’s a ford. Looking to upgrade a bit but this is not going to be my fun car since that’s why I have my 700+WHP Lexus for.

So when looking at my options, I see that I can get a Cayenne for 44k the way I would like it which is SIMPLE and stick shift. Too me the S and Turbo are reserved for mid life crisis silver foxes that can't have sports cars. I just need a nice SUV (I'm a realtor I drive people around often) that is not so big that I don’t fit into most drivethrus, and that I don’t have to be scared of driving thru a puddle. Now, I have no idea what people have to say about them, so if anyone have any honest reviews I would appreciate it.

Regards,

·
Banned
2,655 Posts
I currently own a 05 Eddie Bauer expedition, and I’m tired of the fact that is a mission to find parking for it, every soccer mom owns one, the rear view mirrors look like 2 40" plasma screens that I have to fold constantly, and it’s a ford. Looking to upgrade a bit but this is not going to be my fun car since that’s why I have my 700+WHP Lexus for.

So when looking at my options, I see that I can get a Cayenne for 44k the way I would like it which is SIMPLE and stick shift. Too me the S and Turbo are reserved for mid life crisis silver foxes that can't have sports cars. I just need a nice SUV (I'm a realtor I drive people around often) that is not so big that I don’t fit into most drivethrus, and that I don’t have to be scared of driving thru a puddle. Now, I have no idea what people have to say about them, so if anyone have any honest reviews I would appreciate it.

Regards,
Personally I like the BMW X5 4.8 much much better.

·
2014 E63 S
2,517 Posts
I would not pay $44k for a V6 base Cayenne. At the very least, get the S with the V8. That base model is going to feel like a Ford after awhile, and their resale value is not good.

I've driven the Turbo, and it feels as close to a sports car as you can get in an SUV. Handles great, good brakes, and of course its fast for the size. I know that not what you want, but I was just throwing my 2cents in. haha

At the very least, you could get a fully loaded brand new Lexus RX350 for $44k.

·
Banned
2,655 Posts
Bimmer is a bit more expensive i think their styling is a bit outdated, i love the porsche looks...everyone's taste is diferent i guess lol

Have you driven a late model 4.8L X5? Its very impressive.

·
Champagne Papi
5,697 Posts
I'd go with a range rover sport. Cayenne is alright.. but X5 is better. But X5 is old like you stated.

·
9's Club
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd go with a range rover sport. Cayenne is alright.. but X5 is better. But X5 is old like you stated.
Land rover is a POS 3 of my co-workers have them all diferent models and they take turns atr the dealer LOL!

Lexus is FWD ann an AWD fully loaded its over $50k, and i dont see why the base model will feel like a ford after a while, its the same interior and quality of build isn't? Resale is not much of an issue, as it would be a lease (since i can deduct lease payments for my taxes;) )

I just think the porsche looks like the young guy's SUV (not the soccer mom, the young chick or the fat old dude LOL)

·
Banned
1,466 Posts
.......Too me the S and Turbo are reserved for mid life crisis silver foxes that can't have sports cars. ....
Regards,
Personally I think the base and S Cayenne are a waste of money.

Recently I got to drive a fully optioned Cayenne turbo with under 10K miles on it and all I have to say is, if you can afford it, go for it. My buddies dad just got one with the panoramic roof, height adjustable suspension, full carbon fiber interior, parking sensors, extra painted lower bumper trim pieces, blah blah blah. Its tough for many to justify spending 100k on a suv but this truck was just too sick. With exhaust and an ecu upgrade I've heard cliams of 13. flat in the 1/4 with them. If youre just lookin at base and mid level models I'd look at something else like maybe a Lexus SUV.

Just my .02.

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
The base one's are so slow....you'll be getting whooped by 1/2 ton pickups that aren't even trying. Unless you really want that Porsche badge, I don't think they're a particularily good value for the money.

·
19x10 +21 F 19x12 +28 R
2,186 Posts
Stevens Creek Porsche in california has a Cayenne Turbo with no miles for 70k. You might wanna give them a call! ;P

·
9's Club
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol I guess in a sprts car forum i will not get any answers other than "get the faster ones" LOL! my thing is an SUV thats under 45k that has some prestige to it. And the i dont see them all been driven by chicks like X3, RXs, MLs, LR2s etc.

·
9's Club
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The base one's are so slow....you'll be getting whooped by 1/2 ton pickups that aren't even trying. Unless you really want that Porsche badge, I don't think they're a particularily good value for the money.
I do not need to go fast in it! lol I already have a car for that purposse!

·
Registered
702 Posts
i actually think the cayenne is a nice choice. If you don't need something that seats more than 5 people, its great. the v6 is 290hp and its has a top speed of over 140mph, i wouldn't exactly consider that slow. I also don't know what these people are saying about reliability, my udnerstanding is that they're quite reliable.
You can check out the touraeg too. It and the cayenne were codesigned by vw and porsche, so they're on the same platform. Though i understand the name VW isnt exactly a status symbol.
I say go for it, just opt for nicer wheels than teh standard ones, they're way too small.

Also, i know i've said this before to other people, but check out the infiniti FX. Fully loaded with every possible option and awd, its about 50k for the fx35 and 54k for the fx45. I have the fx35 and i've been quite pleased with it.

·
2014 E63 S
2,517 Posts
You can get the Lexus RX350 for several thousand off MSRP, so its price will be similar to the $44k of the Porsche. And thats a loaded Lexus.

The V6 Cayenne at $44k is the starting price with no options. So you'll have to add in the navigation, heated seats, premium audio, sunroof, wood grain interior, rear dvd player, etc. I dont know if they are heavily discounting these cars yet, as they just started selling the new version.

Also, the Cayenne is 0-60 in low 8 seconds with only 14mpg in city. Something to think about if this is a daily work car.

·
Champagne Papi
5,697 Posts
lol I guess in a sprts car forum i will not get any answers other than "get the faster ones" LOL! my thing is an SUV thats under 45k that has some prestige to it. And the i dont see them all been driven by chicks like X3, RXs, MLs, LR2s etc.
Go with the new FX35.. or EX35 I think its called

·
9's Club
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
You can get the Lexus RX350 for several thousand off MSRP, so its price will be similar to the $44k of the Porsche. And thats a loaded Lexus.

The V6 Cayenne at $44k is the starting price with no options. So you'll have to add in the navigation, heated seats, premium audio, sunroof, wood grain interior, rear dvd player, etc. I dont know if they are heavily discounting these cars yet, as they just started selling the new version.

Also, the Cayenne is 0-60 in low 8 seconds with only 14mpg in city. Something to think about if this is a daily work car.
The V6 cayenne is 0-60 in 7.4 the RX in 7.4, The cayenne has 20hp more than the RX, and the rx gas milage is not substantially different, 17-22 Vs 14-20,. The cayenne doesnt have any options i care for, maybe the wood, but the naviagtion or heated seats dont matter to me, .

Unless i can see substantial evidence of people having mechanical issues with it I think the cayenne is going to be ordered soon:)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Mario, I have a Cayenne S so I guess that makes me a silver fox in a mid life crisis :D

I picked it up for the wife about 2 years ago and I love it. Its honestly a blast to drive and does a great job at towing when needed. I have driven plenty of other SUV's and the only one I got a similar sporty feel out of was the X5. All others felt like trucks that seemed like they were going to tip when pushed.

2 years, 30K miles and so far no issues.

Rob

(here is a couple pics...)

Good luck. You will have fun in it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts