Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Missing my supra
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to a shop this week about porting and polishing a head for me. To make a long story short he told me that it would be a waste of money to have my head ported and polished. He said it would not make any more power than a stock head. How true is this?

Joey:cylon:

·
///M3 > MKIII
2,302 Posts
Well it depends.....if it is done correctly and extensively...like porting for bigger valves YOU WILL gain power...but if they are hacks and dont want to take the time to do it correctly, and they take a die grinder to head and start hogging the shit out of it or dont gasket match the intake manifold to the head or whatever, its possible to screw up the flow characteristics of the head. But IMHO forced induction engines can benefit from any lil thing ya can do to improve air flow........so I'd say go for it, you could do it yourself, just take some time and do a good job, but if your gonna shell out mad$$$$$ for it, take it to a reputable shop that you KNOW will do a good job.:) :) :bthumb:

Jeremy...........:beer: +:ky: +:boobies: =:bigok:

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
yeah dude that guy is bullshitting you
porting and polishing your head PROPERLY with a good port match job will make the car almost completely different. The whole basis of a good engine is to get air into and out of as quick as possible...porting and polishing achieves EXACTLY this so expect your car to become sexy as hell

w0rd

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
well a port and polish and using the stock internals will not yield in much gains at all. Prob 6-10 RWHP. If you go bigger vavles, Springs, cams, ect then the magic begins but in oirder to feel these effects you need everythgin else dont like big turbo, huge injectors, some sort of serious piggy back set up..if you have a small upgraded tubo or anything along those lines, save your money. I have researched this till im blue in the face. do a gasket match port and be done

·
Señor Member
4,741 Posts
You gain again up to 150 HP with a port and polish and the right performance upgrades.

·
Señor Member
4,741 Posts
That just what machine shops tell me. A guy here in Houston is pushing 600 HP AT THE WHEELS. He's got a race ported head among other things...

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,078 Posts
T61supradean said:
well a port and polish and using the stock internals will not yield in much gains at all. Prob 6-10 RWHP.
I don't think the guy was bullshitting you!!! Supradean hit the nail on the head. For what they would charge you to do this, you would not gain any significant increase for the money. (Horsepower to Dollar ratio) This is especially true on a turbo car. NA motors stand to gain alot more because the motor's doing all the work.

Matching the gaskets is always a good practice to prevent any disturbance in the flow stream.

·
Carma Performance
765 Posts
If you are actually planning on making some real HP with your car, do it. There IS alot of HP to be had from porting/polishing a 7M head. That is the main difference between a 7M and a 2J, Toyota spent alot of time/money on the 2J's head.
Yes you can make good HP without doing it, look at Will(551rwhp),
but it'll be a hell of alot easier with it done.
my .02
Erin

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
well i am speaking in general as 95% of supra guys dont want or wont go the distance to push over 500 rwhp. If you want a fast street car and you have a budget i think they are better avenues to take...if you port heavy you might as well do cams, then vavles and then your poor, but its up to you...:)

·
Carma Performance
765 Posts
You can hear a little change in idle with a mild 245duration cam. With my 274's it gonna idle like shit. It'll just sit there and lobe. If you can live with a shitty idle(I can) i don't think reliability is an issue. We'll find out next week when my kit gets here :D
All in the name of HP.
Erin

T

·
0 Posts
Well I hope a fully ported head does help with the hp. In the next month or two I ll be fitting a new engine to my supra that has a factory TRD race head. This head has huge inlet/exhaust ports, light weight TRD valves and TRD springs. The TRD valves have a very thin head and are dished underneath and sodium filled. I know of one other person with this type of head and he runs a 12.1sec quarter on a upgraded ct26 with other supporting mods.
Shane :)

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
I run a ported head with a valve job and matched intakes-my car is running fat and I did some many mods at the same time I have no idea on the imporvement but I do know on the flowbench it picked up CFMS up top while retaining the low speed #s.
If you run cams-you want the flow of the heads to match the cams particularily in peak lift numbers-why flow tons of air best your cam lift?

W

·
0 Posts
What?!

Interex_87 said:
That just what machine shops tell me. A guy here in Houston is pushing 600 HP AT THE WHEELS. He's got a race ported head among other things...
As for the above.... the among other things is a lot more than you think i imagine. A port and polish job is great. If you have a lot of other mods. If your engine is stock or close to the money spent to porrt and polish could be much more efficiently spent. doing that to a stock (or close) motor is like me polishing the rust on my fender.

WallyMKIII

·
Carma Performance
765 Posts
My advice is to NOT mod a stock engine! If you want to do a build up, do it right, save yourself thousands of dollars. Get another motor and build it over a span of time. Blown motors are cheap.
Erin

·
Registered
710 Posts
I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Do you mean you shouldn't:

- mod a car with a stock engine
- mod a stock engine (aren't all engines stock to begin with?)
- mod a stock engine w/o a spare?

Erin Carpenter said:
My advice is to NOT mod a stock engine! If you want to do a build up, do it right, save yourself thousands of dollars. Get another motor and build it over a span of time. Blown motors are cheap.
Erin

1 - 20 of 28 Posts