Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for some pictures of the stock ported elbow. I searched, found a few threads with what I needed, but all the links to the pictures were dead. I know if I really want incredible gains I should go with aftermarket. Im porting mine, and it will only be on my car temporarily. Also, I dont want pictures of aftermarket elbows. If you have a picture that can help me out, please post it. It will be greatly appreciated.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
You won't notice much from a ported stock O2 housing, there simply isn't enough material there to make it as open as aftermarket housings. If you want big gains you have to go aftermarket.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:doh: As I stated in my original post, I already know that it will not outflow an aftermarket full 3'' elbow. I really need some pictures of a stock ported elbow. I know lots of guys did/do run one. Bishop, you dont have any pics of one? Anyone?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are the man! :bigthumb: Thankyou. You dont happen to have one with a view of the inside of the turbo flange, where the wastegate wall is, do you?

·
Registered
948 Posts
oh yeah if your porting yourself plan on spending along time, its cast iron

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Already did it. Took me the weekend working on and off. Id guess in total about 6 or 7 hours. Very time consuming. I just didnt want to drop the money on an elbow yet, as I dont know if it will become obsolete next year with my new setup.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
Bishop92T said:
You won't notice much from a ported stock O2 housing, there simply isn't enough material there to make it as open as aftermarket housings. If you want big gains you have to go aftermarket.
Sorry Bishop, gotta disagree on this one, porting a stock elbow will make huge improvements over a stock elbow, just not quite the same as an aftermarket, but a HUGE difference in spool up over stock.
If you use these tools you can be done in one to two hours. You need to find a tip with cutting edges (Sears) and make sure and use safety goggles. I'll dig up pictures tonight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36572

·
Registered
948 Posts
and use carbide bits... anything else is pointless, i ruined a standeard bit in aboug 40 seconda

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts

I'm well equipped to port and polish. I still say a ported elbow is not worth the time unless your time is worthless. HP gains are minimal, and I'm speaking from experience.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
76celicagt said:
and use carbide bits... anything else is pointless, i ruined a standeard bit in aboug 40 seconda
Agreed. They are expensive (around 70$ per bit) but they are WELL worth it. Bits like bishop has shown there simply don't last, and don't really make a real dent in anything, unless you plan on sitting there all day porting.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just ported my elbow...I guess my time is worthless, lol! Actually I had the DP off the car and figured I since it was off I'd try. I used a dremel and 2 standard silicon bits. I remove quite a bit of material with one before it was worn down too far. I think the key is to keep the bits cool. I spun mine in water every few minutes and they lasted great.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
word. porting the stock elbow resulted in HUGE gains back in my stock turbo days. certainly not as much as a real high-flow elbow, but night and day over stock...

as for carbide burrs, the only place to get 'em is mcmaster.com. nice and cheap....

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I have three stock elbows on the floor of my shed. We can use them for a shot-put contest at the next Austin mini-meet. haha.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
MrBoost said:
I have three stock elbows on the floor of my shed. We can use them for a shot-put contest at the next Austin mini-meet. haha.
...........and the winner will receive a nice shiny new 3" SS elbow!:D :D

·
Banned
4,172 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but i ported mine out using a torch and a 10 buk carbide bit. anyone have pics of the inside of the ported stock elbo???

1 - 20 of 28 Posts