Supra Forums banner

Porting and Polishing

886 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Xdreamer 
G
#1 ·
My valve stem seals are slowly going and I am coming the realization of needing to swap them out..

anyways, my theory is to do the entire head at the same time.... but I noticed that many of the high HP MKIV's dont have any head work?

why is that? Is that becuase they havent gotten around to it or is because there is just no point..

I was thinking doing a port, polish, bigger valves, valve job, titanium retainers, and racing valve springs...

hmm???

#5 ·
Well if you aren't planning to run a turbo setup to push you over 700hp you'd be wasting your money...
Unless you're at Jesus' level of power you will see more gain from some light bowl work. The valves and runners in the stock head are already very well matched and that's why so many guys get great numbers out of stock motor Supras with a decent turbo kit and fuel...

It all snow balls, I know... if you go with just 1mm oversized Ferrea valves to get any gains out of that one mod you'd need to open up the runners, run different cams, and a big-ass turbo with plenty of fuel to get the top end breathing necessary. And the bottom end driveability tends to suffer.

It all depends on how much $$$ you want to put into it.

#7 ·
If all you need are new stem seals they can (and should) be done with the head on the car.

I would hate to pull the factory assembled and torqued head off the engine unless I absolutely had to.

G
#8 ·
okay fine.. what do you guys think fi I just do the stem seals and call it a day.. dont seem to have any other problems.. I was going to do this becuase i wanted to do all the head a the same time..

dont plan on having crazy amounts of power.. im aiming around 500-600 hp max.... so by what you guys are saying then the headwork wont make any much difference..

probably get the valve seals done and put a set of cam gears on..

hmm?

#9 ·
whats exacttly is bowl work? And how much does it cost~Thanks

#11 ·
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.