Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have about 700 miles on my new motor and 60-1 upgrade, the car it totally stock for break in.

Anyways, last week i noticed that I seemed to me making a little less boost then normal, the stock guage (i know it sucks) was shooting up almost to 8, but now seemd closer to 6.5-7, I didn't think too much of it. But now when i hit full boost I hear this whining / whisltle/screech noise and the boost drops from 6 or 7 down towards 5. The noise seems to be from the left side of the car, as you hear it from the window, not the turbo area (i have my glove box out and the wire harness grommet is out, so you hear pretty clearly)

My accoridain is shot, and the recir valve is just kinda stock in the hole there, you can hear that flutter through the firewall, but not this other noise, so i don't think its the valve leaking.

Do you guys think this is a boost leak? I checked the i/c pipes and didn't see anything obvious.

Thanks,
Dustin

·
512RWHP... 503RWTQ... 7M
3,292 Posts
What are you doing going full boost during break in period? You want to mess up all the hard work you put into that rebuild?

But to answer your question, dropping 1psi isn't anything I would worry about... Air density can affect psi... The drop could also have something to do with your waste gate acuator... Make sure it's not being obstructed, and make sure it hasnt been bent or anything...

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just started driving the car hard in the last few week or two, The motor has about 800 on it, i just checked, with the frequent oil changes and what not.

I turbo had just been rebuilt by PT, wastegate was checks, the linkage is fine.
The drop is prob a pound at a minimun, and the noise is what really worries me. Today is very humid, making for dense air

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
i was gonna say if you had majestic rebuild it then it is prolly the turbo but nevermind. Check where the turbo bolts the mani. when the bolts there are loose it will make the death whine.

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'll check that out.... i sure hope the turbo isn't shot after 800 miles on stock boost

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
supra8795 said:
i was gonna say if you had majestic rebuild it then it is prolly the turbo but nevermind. Check where the turbo bolts the mani. when the bolts there are loose it will make the death whine.
that is a good guess. very common, esp since the turbo just went on there.
also since you are running a diff turbo you might want to recheck the bov. i guess you have one? all i see you mention is the recirc stuck in the accordian. either way, ive seen a loose bov cause this as well.

good luck

dave

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its the factory bypass valve, however where it normally attaches to the accordian is broken, so i just have a hose wedge into the hole, the seal isn't perfect, so it vent to atmosphere a little

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
My turbo from majestic went out after bout 20 miles. But i just hope that it is something simple for you.

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well sure enough three out of four of the bolts where lose, so i tighended them up with the stuby little wrench i had laying around

However the nosie is still there. I'm going to tighten them down somemore and see what happens

·
Registered
270 Posts
wassup my car has that whining noise too but i dont loose any boost. i have a boost leak in my lower ic pipe. i ordered a new pipe though. My accordian pipe is also leaking/shot, could hte noise be coming from there?or the lower ic pipe?or maybe are my bolts loose where the turbo bolts onto the tranny?thanks

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
turbo bolts to the tranny??

A shot accordian will make more noise as you actually hear the turbine

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
IF your accordian hose is shot... then that means you have got unmetered air comming in through the turbo... so you could actually be running it harder than you thought.

However, my turbo has the same problem. Checked the turbo to mani bolts... all were loose. Tightened them up just as you did and the turbo still makes the noise. Mine was rebuilt by PT as well but has about 9k miles on it. It has a bit of radial shaftplay but not what i think is extreme, then again i don't have a whole lot of experience with turbos. I just hope the damn thing isn't shot and same for you.

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea... mine only has 800 miles on it......

Its weird, when I first start to boost the car, it won't make the noise and boost to 7 psi, once it gets hot it makes the noise and only boosts to 6....

So i am pretty sure its not the turbo, as it doesn't do it all the time. and the noise is related to boost.... its gotta be a leak or the mani to turbo is still leaking

1 - 13 of 13 Posts