Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So what are we looking at here doc? The center peice is alot brighter then the end peices. I have never seen a JDM tail set before to tell how much darker they are in person.

This is starting to bug me, I would rather have a bright CAN/US tail set insted of the tinted JDM ones. I think they would 'POP' out of the Black paint and look better in my opinion. I got the set from the same canadien parts car. I even tried clear coating the left end peice and found no diffrence.

Can anybody tell from these photos if I have a mixed set or just faded end peices?

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Urdoingitwrong

Lol jk. But seriously... My car actually looks quite similar to that. Its because the backside of the center lense is painted with silver paint from the factory. So it does have the ability to look lighter even when in the matched set or lights.

·
Registered
558 Posts
cant tell by the picture but does the left one have a reflector in it
that would be an ovious clue as i can tell the right one does

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
Well the "reflector" is molded directly Into the colored lense. If you meant diffusor, as in the clear checkered pattern insert between the outer lense and the light bulb, its unlikely thats its been removed. Not that it's very obvious whether or not its visible from the outside...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Well the "reflector" is molded directly Into the colored lense. If you meant diffusor, as in the clear checkered pattern insert between the outer lense and the light bulb, its unlikely thats its been removed. Not that it's very obvious whether or not its visible from the outside...
^thats what i meant

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
mold in the outer pieces? water tends to leak into the outer sections, allows mold to grow and turns them darker.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I split mine in the oven, and tinted from inside, so its stays nice n smooth on the outside :)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh yeah i see what you mean. i guess theres not much that you can do about this then. anybody ever tried painting the outside lights silver aswell? i cant really go look at my car to check this idea if i could or not since its not here. but this sucks...

once on youtube i seen a black 89+ supra on the highway and the tail was soo mint every peice had the same bright red with that hint of pink to it. but it was a clear sunny day in the video that must be why, unless the tail lights were brand new? ill try to find the video.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ that would be a good idea if i were to tint them. i tinted the pre 89 ones from the outside, wet sanded them and a clear coat over the tint and they had a good finish to them aswell.

i thought the outside tail pieces were not as water tight and gets dirty faster then the center. now im wondering how that guy in the video had his lights so bright...

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
No cuz that silver paint is opaque. No light can get thru it. I wanted to try to strip thensilver paint from inside the center piece but I didn't want to risk destroying the lense. It would likely make it darker and possibly match the lights. But then I also considered, how could I get lights in there. Its so tight inside there, the only way is to use like an electroluminescent film. Otherwise, bulbs or LEDs would make hot spots and look gay...

·
DON'T BLAME ME!!!
826 Posts
All USDM tails are like that.:ugh2: One of the reasons that people want the JDM "Kouki's".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts