Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

Fairly new to Supra Ownership (about 2 Months) and am think my Head Gasket may have gone!!!

The Symptoms:
  1. About 3 weeks ago been out car running fine and upon getting home car feels like it's missing. After that when starting the car it would run rough for a few minutes then settle. I thought maybe faulty Coil Pack Clip
  2. About 2 weeks ago took the car out for a short run and found the coolant system had had a good empty via the expansion bottle (about 1.5 Litres!)
  3. Thought maybe a problem with the rad cap so bought a replacement. Thought I would start the car with the cap off in an effort to relieve any air pockets due to the coolant lose. It bubbled over immediately! Also noticed a lot of white smoke coming out the back and the car runs rough all the time now.

I'm absolutely gutted to be honest as only having the car such a sort period of time it feels like a real kick in the teeth!!

My Questions:
  1. Is the Head Gasket the only thing that could be wrong here?
  2. If I get this fixed, could there be another problem harbouring which may of caused this in the first place?
  3. Any ideas of what I would expect to pay to get this done ?
  4. Any recommendations of people in Bristol or surrounding who could do this?
Any help would be much appreciated as I'm feeling a bit alone with it all at the moment. Cheers.

· Registered
11,198 Posts
i think you have a blown head gasket there my friend, do some research on here as there are some good tests such as a chemical test that you can do to make sure that it is the head gasket.
i cant offer you a place to get it done because i dont know what Bristol you are in, cause there are a few in america and in other countries.
i know that the cost in american dollars could reach 2,000 in some cases.
good luck, i hope you get it sorted out. just do alot of research on here to gain more knowledge.

· Registered
1,328 Posts
If it is an HG problem and it's bad, the following test might confirm it:

Take the radiator cap off and starts the engine (cold). As temp increases a little, look into the radiator while increasing revs. If you see a bunch of bubbles bursting out of the fluid when you rev then I would say HG.
Also as FLINTSTONESKID mentioned, the chemical test can change color if it detects gas emissions in the coolant.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

· Registered
532 Posts
Sounds like a HG. Might want to drain the oil or coolant and see if there are any mixing of the two. The white smoke should smell like coolant, take a sniff. Compression and leak down would be ideal if you have the equipment.

· Registered
46 Posts
There are a few test you can do ...

Pressure test .. pressure the coolant system and see leaks or leakdown the cylinder and see air bubbles in the coolant system.

Chemical test .. the test kit trys to detect any HC in your coolant system.

Nose test .. smell the radiator. When a headgasket is bad and it dumps exhaust fumes and heat into the cooling system and it creates a distinctive burn smell. Hard to described but I can tell.

Visual test .. pull the spark plug and look thru it. Does it look cleaner on 1 or 2 pistons compared to the rest?

· Registered
748 Posts
Sounds like a blown headgasket to me as well. If you are in Bristol UK (gutted isn't an American term!!!) then Chris Wilson who is a Supra expert might be an option to do the repair. He's in Shropshire so about 2 hrs from you.

Cheers

· The Great Kruso
4,230 Posts
Sounds like a MKIII to me :wtf:

· Registered
1994 Toyota Supra HT, TT, 6 Spd
74 Posts
If you caught it early, you shouldn't have done any major damage. When the head is off, it won't hurt to have it checked for warpate and have it resurfaced.
Might as well get other part out the way as well (valve stem, tstat, waterpump, tbelt, etc).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.