Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I'm currently stationed in Monterey, CA and have had my dream car for almost a year. It's a '95 red at bpu. Well, I'm looking at my next duty station, and the possibilities are either Illinois, or Germany. Oh yeah, married but no kids.

The dilemma, is that the military will only ship one car. I may be there for at least two, and up to three years. I won't have to worry about smog there, but maybe when I get back depending on where I get stationed afterwards, but that's not really that big of a deal.

So what should I do? Do I take the Supra overseas to enjoy it for 3 more years, running it on the Autobhan, etc., but also subjecting it to the shipping to Germany, the possible lack of a garage, etc. Or, do I sell it before I move, and hope to buy another when I get back?

Other issues I've thought of....in three years time, will all states in the US adopt Californias stupid smog rules??? What will gas be like in 3 years? What other options would be available then? I could also save a ton of money while over there, and then come back and buy a new supra (if they ever come back, but not to be debated here), or something else that can equal it?

I know, it comes down to my own personal preference, but I'm just looking for ideas, opinions, or info that I haven't thought of yet.

Thanks-
Kent

·
TE44 NA-T
1,026 Posts
oh man thats a tough one. But i couldn't pass up the opportunity to run the Supra on the Autobahn.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
I would sell it. USDM Supra prices are inflated. I don't know about the market price in Germany, but I would think a BPU Supra would cost a lot less over there. Also, who knows what the market price of a Supra will be like when you come back? With all the new higher-end Japanese sports cars coming out in the next year or two, you might be able to pick one up for a helluva lot cheaper in the future.

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
I would sell it. Then when in Germany import one from japan over to germany. i know thats gotta be pretty easy and shouldn't cost that much. And the best thing from what i've heard but i might be wrong is that you can bring over your car from there to the states when you come back for good.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
USMCSupra said:
I would sell it. USDM Supra prices are inflated. I don't know about the market price in Germany, but I would think a BPU Supra would cost a lot less over there.

:hahano:

You realize the supra cost $90k in Europe right? Prices are much higer than in the USA for secondhand models.

You won't find a BPU supra either, as cars aren't allowed to be modded unless you have the TUV paperwork to prove the part is OK as per the German DMV. That means performance parts are pretty much automatically excluded. If you want one, you'll have to mod it yourself and then change it back for the inspection. Unless as a soldier you are exempt, but then you'd still have to sell it when you return.

The autobahn rules though. American roads are so utterly pathetic, it's a shame. It's like we live in some third fucking world country. Zimbabwe has better roads than we do! Incredible how such a superpower can have an infrastructure that is just rotting away. German highways are engineering masterpieces, American highways are uneven, potholed, thinly made pieces of shit that last 5 years at best.

·
HIDEYOURGIRLFRIEND
961 Posts
My buddy imports supras, skylines etc from Japan. And he said prices on supras in Japan are VERY LOW. But when he brings one over, the reason the final price is so much, is because shipping is crazy. But i dont know how much they are over there. Maybe you could ask someone on the forums who owns a mk4, and lives in germany. I knwo its a hard decision, but autobahn in the supra would be awesome! :bigthumb:

-Taylor

·
Registered
934 Posts
i can keep it but hey u can always sell it here... and use that money to buy a modded skyline r33 easily.

just once ur done w/ ur tour over in germany... best u can do is bring it back here as 'parts car' hahahaha

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
sicksupra1 said:
My buddy imports supras, skylines etc from Japan. And he said prices on supras in Japan are VERY LOW. But when he brings one over, the reason the final price is so much, is because shipping is crazy. But i dont know how much they are over there. Maybe you could ask someone on the forums who owns a mk4, and lives in germany. I knwo its a hard decision, but autobahn in the supra would be awesome! :bigthumb:

-Taylor
shipping, Duties, taxes... can easily mount to the price of the car if not MORE.

·
FUCK JDM
3,932 Posts
since ur in the military, shipping will prob. be cheap for u right? i'd def. bring the supe over there....2-3yrs is a long time, and who knows what'll happen to u in those years... life is SHORT Enjoy it as much as u can..... what better way then supe in Nurburring

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Blk96SupraTT said:
I would sell it. Then when in Germany import one from japan over to germany. i know thats gotta be pretty easy and shouldn't cost that much. And the best thing from what i've heard but i might be wrong is that you can bring over your car from there to the states when you come back for good.

umm perhaps he wasn't clear, he can only take ONE car ;)

that means take the one car there, buy a supra or whatever then SELL it again when he gets stationed elsewhere?

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
adversary said:
oh man thats a tough one. But i couldn't pass up the opportunity to run the Supra on the Autobahn.
ditto! :sadance:

·
Lemonade Tycoon
214 Posts
I'm currently living in Frankfurt, Germany right now.

I've checked the market for used MKIV's here and they are typically priced around 25-30k euro, which is about 30-35k usd. Have a look at www.mobile.de for an idea (it's the equivalent of the autotrader).

cherzra said:

You realize the supra cost $90k in Europe right? Prices are much higer than in the USA for secondhand models.

You won't find a BPU supra either, as cars aren't allowed to be modded unless you have the TUV paperwork to prove the part is OK as per the German DMV. That means performance parts are pretty much automatically excluded. If you want one, you'll have to mod it yourself and then change it back for the inspection. Unless as a soldier you are exempt, but then you'd still have to sell it when you return.

The autobahn rules though. American roads are so utterly pathetic, it's a shame. It's like we live in some third fucking world country. Zimbabwe has better roads than we do! Incredible how such a superpower can have an infrastructure that is just rotting away. German highways are engineering masterpieces, American highways are uneven, potholed, thinly made pieces of shit that last 5 years at best.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I just got back from Germany. The cars are all slow except for some exotics here and there. (They go through hell to mod their cars due to govt regulations) I rented an 06 GSXR600 to beat the hell outta it on the Autobahn. It was a blast! For us it's great not to have any speedlimit. But I got used to it quick over there and the newness wore off. After 160+mph in a straight line for a long time I started craving the twisties. The back roads there are great and many of the limits there are 100kmh (around 60mph I think). I really would like to take my supra over there sometime but unless you have deep pockets to keep fuel in the tank or can find a way to sell it overthere and make big $$ I'd probably just buy one of the shit boxes over there to beat around and sell the supra or put it in storage over here.

Mike

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
Thank you for the clarification and the cool web site. :)
Huy said:
I'm currently living in Frankfurt, Germany right now.

I've checked the market for used MKIV's here and they are typically priced around 25-30k euro, which is about 30-35k usd. Have a look at www.mobile.de for an idea (it's the equivalent of the autotrader).

cherzra said:

·
Banned
2,655 Posts
gadjetta said:
Hey everyone,

I'm currently stationed in Monterey, CA and have had my dream car for almost a year. It's a '95 red at bpu. Well, I'm looking at my next duty station, and the possibilities are either Illinois, or Germany. Oh yeah, married but no kids.

The dilemma, is that the military will only ship one car. I may be there for at least two, and up to three years. I won't have to worry about smog there, but maybe when I get back depending on where I get stationed afterwards, but that's not really that big of a deal.

So what should I do? Do I take the Supra overseas to enjoy it for 3 more years, running it on the Autobhan, etc., but also subjecting it to the shipping to Germany, the possible lack of a garage, etc. Or, do I sell it before I move, and hope to buy another when I get back?

Other issues I've thought of....in three years time, will all states in the US adopt Californias stupid smog rules??? What will gas be like in 3 years? What other options would be available then? I could also save a ton of money while over there, and then come back and buy a new supra (if they ever come back, but not to be debated here), or something else that can equal it?

I know, it comes down to my own personal preference, but I'm just looking for ideas, opinions, or info that I haven't thought of yet.

Thanks-
Kent

no sell it to me :)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I'd take it to Germany, single it, upgrade the handling/brakes, and enjoy the best public roads and tracks in the world! Must be nice cruising at about 140 mph in 5th on the Autobahn, riding that big wave of torque. Would be no prob to blast up to 180 or so. :bowdown:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
USMCSupra said:
Thank you for the clarification and the cool web site. :)

Dude, I'm from the Netherlands which is right next to Germany and actually bought and owned an EU spec supra. You go right ahead and buy a $35k automatic POS with 150k miles that has never been serviced if you feel like ok? Good luck finding one of the 5% 6-speeds, let alone one that has less than 100k on it and has been even half-decently taken care of.

·
Supraholic
739 Posts
so you are married and no Kids,

bring the supra over here and enjoy it,
buy a crapper for dayly driver and thats it.:D:D:D

if you come to germany near Heidelberg
or Mannheim area just let me know and i hook you up.

cu Andy

·
Registered
404 Posts
What's the other car? Did i miss it?

My opinion: Take yours. You already know your car, and what's been done to it, used to it, etc. That way, you don't have to worry about someone else's junk from Japan.

Just spoke to my friend, who's also in Germany in the army (army mechanic). He said there ain't much over there.

Keep it, and take it with you...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts