Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Supra Enthusiast
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Possible Rolled Back Odometer?

I'm currently looking at a 1989 Supra and the car has pretty low miles. Of course with any old car with low miles, the authenticity is in question. I went to go see this car yesterday and snapped some pics. It's BEAUTIFUL for sure. The car is totally stock and body is damn near perfect. The only thing that bugs me is this picture............

If you look at the 9, you'll see that it's off from the rest. If you think about it, both the 6 and 9 should be getting ready to roll over at the same time shouldn't they? It should also be when it's getting closer to 70k. I was thinking like 69,8xxx or higher. I'm just really excited about this car, but don't want to get screwed into thinking it's 69k when it's not. The owner claims that he is the second owner, and says he paid for a carfax and the mileage is on. Is there a way to beat Carfax? He purchased the car from up North a few years ago, and it's been sitting in his garage. Thanks for any input and help guys!

Regards,
Eli

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
My 91T has 97,xxx miles on it, and not all the digits are perfectly lined up, but the ticker is counting like normal. I really wouldn't worry about it.

I want pics of the rest of the car, you tease! Good luck. :)

Looks like an 89 or something not from our side of the pond judging by the lack of an airbag light...?

Collin

·
Supra Enthusiast
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, thanks Collin. I'm REALLY excited about this car, and really just want to make sure I'm getting what I'm paying for ya know? I can NOT wait to make a deal with this guy. My car is currently up for sale so I can afford it, lol. Maybe I'll post some more pics later, we'll see :bigthumb:

Regards,
Eli

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
The Real Girl thread owns me too...

·
Supra Enthusiast
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. Keep them coming. I'm really looking to find someone who may have seen or experienced a rolled back car

·
Hardtop FTW
1,784 Posts
Looks nice! Anything special about it other than the low miles?

Collin

·
Banned
331 Posts
I'm currently looking at a 1989 Supra and the car has pretty low miles. Of course with any old car with low miles, the authenticity is in question. I went to go see this car yesterday and snapped some pics. It's BEAUTIFUL for sure. The car is totally stock and body is damn near perfect. The only thing that bugs me is this picture............

If you look at the 9, you'll see that it's off from the rest. If you think about it, both the 6 and 9 should be getting ready to roll over at the same time shouldn't they? It should also be when it's getting closer to 70k. I was thinking like 69,8xxx or higher. I'm just really excited about this car, but don't want to get screwed into thinking it's 69k when it's not. The owner claims that he is the second owner, and says he paid for a carfax and the mileage is on. Is there a way to beat Carfax? He purchased the car from up North a few years ago, and it's been sitting in his garage. Thanks for any input and help guys!

Regards,
Eli
Carfax is usually legit, especially if it shows over the years that it just slowly goes up. That would be real mileage. Sometimes people stop driving a car for many years and then they sell it.

·
Supra Enthusiast
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Paint is awesome, clean body, pretty much everything I want in a MKIII. I'm currently about to begin a major MKIII project with another shell, so my goal for this car would be a 100% clean, all Toyota parts, 89 Supra. The 89 is arguably the best year for the MKIII, so I'm all about celebrating it in it's stock form.

·
Señor Member
4,741 Posts

Regards,
Eli
It's fine. At most it would be 9,999 miles off unless the odometer was rolled back twice. Who cares? It's an 18 year old car!

·
Supra Enthusiast
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I care :bigthumb: It's a selling point on a car that I plan on keeping for years and years and years

·
The Doc is in...
526 Posts
The 89 is arguably the best year for the MKIII, so I'm all about celebrating it in it's stock form.
About damn time you realize and forget about the 91+ BS.....:1poke:

Rolling back these speedos is a pain, I tried doing it with a junkyard cluster so it would match the miles on my car. With a drill turning the odometer for 5 minutes, I think I got maybe 10 miles....But I am no professional.

·
Shop Tech All Around Auto
510 Posts
My car is close to 200k mi.'s, and its the same way. Doubt seriously its ever been rolled back.

·
Registered
320 Posts
nice dude, lets see pics of the rest of the car!!!

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
About damn time you realize and forget about the 91+ BS.....:1poke:

Rolling back these speedos is a pain, I tried doing it with a junkyard cluster so it would match the miles on my car. With a drill turning the odometer for 5 minutes, I think I got maybe 10 miles....But I am no professional.
pre 91 guys are in denial about 91+s being the best.. but 92s are the best.. really..

edit: on the speedo it says 10xx revs = 1 mile.. a drill goes what? 1500 rpm? so its only a little over a mile and a 1/2 a minute..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts