Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i have been looking around trying to see if it was possible to use a t-56 tranny, EASILY. namely because you can get a used unit for half the price of a getrag...

so here it goes:
1:get a steel bellhousing, have the bolt pattern of the 2jz drilled into it (read below for my idea on this),

2: use STOCK na flywheel or tt fly

3: use performance clutch from a 2jz (STOCK part replacements)

4: use a clutch from a t-56 CAMARO (for correct splines and input diameter)

5: t-56 from camaro/trans-am/etc (maybe 03 cobra or viper....namely chevy t-56 because older=cheaper)

6: obviously custom driveshaft

i have found one of the 2jz clutc discs is 250 mm (9.8 inch)

http://replacement.car-stuff.com/parts/carstuff/wizard.jsp?year=1993&make=TO&model=SUP--008&category=I&part=Clutch%20Kit&returnurl=null&dp=true&showdc=true#top

the camaro discs range from 9 11/16 up to 12 inches

http://replacement.car-stuff.com/parts/carstuff/wizard.jsp?year=1999&make=CV&model=CAMA-Z28-002&category=I&part=Clutch%20Kit&returnurl=null&dp=true&showdc=true#top

i also read somewhere about a person having a cluth disc machined down.... so i thought that there HAS to be a combo of the 2jz fly/pressure plates and a disc from the chevy line. they have the same thickness of disc, and if the diameters were the same (machined the disc and/or fly), then it might work...

the t-56 shifter arm is 26.5 inches from bellhousing and the w-58 that goes in the lexus is 26 7/8. so it would fit there without adjustment (.25 inch!!)

things of concern and potential fixes:

1: when clutch is in the pressure plate, the splines dont reach the input shaft or are too long
SOLUTION: too short, you could maybe put a small spacer on the crank....like i mean 1/8 MAX. with ARP studs, this shouldnt effect it TOO badly....?? :1poke: too long, the tranny could be spaced from the housing, again, probabaly not MUCH, but these MAY be ok if the difference is SMALL!!

2: bellhousing hits body.
SOLUTION: hammer :)

3: getting bellhousing that has 2jz bolt holes drilled
SOLUTION: ross machine makes an adaptor for the th400 tranny to mate to a 2jz. steel bellhousings that mate to a t-56 can be made to fit a th-400 motor bolt pattern. SO.... if a few people wanted to do this, the adaptor from ross is like 350 split 5 ways isnt so bad, then sell it after you make your marks (wont damage or dertroy unit after all).

what do you think??

·
I rock like CRACK
1,010 Posts
Bounced thisa idea off a few people years back on my old car and the conclusion was buying a getrag IS worth the money. Who knows though I'm sure new stuff has come along since then to make it easier for you.

David

·
wasting my life on SF
1,808 Posts
subscribing.

^ i remember your thread about the t56. i would be interested. i love the double overdrive. they are strong(not getrag strong, but they can be built to handle serious power). and they are a dime a dozen. i can get my hands on one for under $250.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, well i guess in order to answer this question, we will need in essence to bits on info. the distance from the bellhousing mating surface of the engine block to the face of the flywheel on both the 2jz and the camaro (and/or mustang, viper, or other t-56 accepting engine).

we will also need the throout bearing diameter...and distance. this can be fabricated worse comes to worse, the rest of it kinda needs to fall into place to make it an easy install

this is the distance that we need:

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Not sure if you guys have heard of KEP; kennedy engeineering products (owned by the compnay that owns ACt clutches)
but they make all sorts of bellhousings for custom stuff
like mating chevy 350's to porsche transmission, andwhat ever odd combination you can think off
I know they also had bellhousings to mate 4g63's, wrx motors, chevy v6's etc... to the porsche tranny

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have heard of KEP. they are really big in the VW arena, at least the old stuff. i have contacted them several times, a few years ago and their stance was they only wanted to do the adaptors for pretty much any engine but the tranny would have to be a porsche or vw. no other trannies. i could understand why, since such items would need a full on re-configuration of the CAD fills they have, and no market for it, at least not like the VW tranny market (TONS of off-roaders and drag racers... and of course the at-home guy).

i may have access to a chevy engine this weekend and i can at least get a measurement like the one i have pictured, only it would be on the crank, not the flywheel. but it would be a start...

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
hey, i have been looking around trying to see if it was possible to use a t-56 tranny, EASILY. namely because you can get a used unit for half the price of a getrag...
Can it be done ? sure it can. Easily ? Not so much....yet.
I have been thinking about it for a few years. Though I would use a TKO600. Very strong.
Then I would use the bell housing from the stock auto tranny.(no sense reinventing the wheel as they say) You would want to use a spacer/adapter to go from the tremec to the toy bell. Then a wilwood hydro throwout bearing. Use either a Supra, IS3 or SC3 clutch pedal or a wilwood for that too.

Its either going to be that or a 4L80e for me :confused: Who knows...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, this will give us a good start, all we need now is a supra one to compare to...

(oh yeah, its 11/16 inch from the block machined surface to the crank, look at pic)

·
trubo spura
393 Posts
Interesting idea. The distance to the shifter etc. is close enough that it makes some sense, and if it can be made to be done cheap enough it will become popular.

In for the seeing what ya'll come up with, I can't use a W58 forever.

-chris

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Interesting idea. The distance to the shifter etc. is close enough that it makes some sense, and if it can be made to be done cheap enough it will become popular.

In for the seeing what ya'll come up with, I can't use a W58 forever.

-chris
The TKO and T-56 series have a few different shifter/tail-shaft positioning locations available.

T56 http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/T-56.asp#Car
TKO http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/TKO.asp

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so... does ANYONE know anyone, or have their own, engine out of the car??? we need like one measurement to be able to see if this is even remotely going to be within ability....i mean easily done without HUGE mods to change and adapt all sorts of crap inside there...

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
so... does ANYONE know anyone, or have their own, engine out of the car??? we need like one measurement to be able to see if this is even remotely going to be within ability....i mean easily done without HUGE mods to change and adapt all sorts of crap inside there...
I have one out of the car but theres no crank in it. I suppose I could throw it back in there for measurements sake.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
The 1JZ and 2JZ bellhousings are the same correct ?
I found out that dellows already makes a conversion for this application.
I just emailed them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 1JZ and 2JZ bellhousings are the same correct ?
I found out that dellows already makes a conversion for this application.
I just emailed them.
kinda depends on what you mean by are they the same.... the bolt pattern on the block is the same, but the tranny side is a bit different since the 1jz mounts to an r154 and the 2jz is getrag...but that shouldnt matter on a thing like this. keep us posted on the dellows item!!!

and how do we get ahold of them?? PM me linky if rules dont allow it to be posted here... that would be nice, then just the clutch thing would need to be addressed, which will be cake if things bolt up like this.

james

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
kinda depends on what you mean by are they the same.... the bolt pattern on the block is the same, but the tranny side is a bit different since the 1jz mounts to an r154 and the 2jz is getrag...but that shouldnt matter on a thing like this. keep us posted on the dellows item!!!

and how do we get ahold of them?? PM me linky if rules dont allow it to be posted here... that would be nice, then just the clutch thing would need to be addressed, which will be cake if things bolt up like this.

james
The bellhousing bolt pattern was what I was concerned with. Thats what I thought, that some 2j guys use the 1j housing to adapt w58's or 154's or something.

Anyway I think the link is allowed. I havent heard back from them yet but will keep you guys posted.
http://www.dellowauto.com.au/main.html

·
Registered
187 Posts
I actually already contacted dellowauto and they said that no adapter to mate T56 onto a 2jz was available at this time.
Perhaps it will take a few emails from different members to get the aussie motivated enough to make one ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Also as a heads up there's a few different size of T56 apparently - So we need to make sure we can sort through which ones work, which ones need more modification

·
no one likes the tuna
592 Posts
whats the diamater of... lets say a cobra flywheel, and the diamiter of a supra flywheel. could we machine a cobra flywheel to bolt up to a 2jz crank?hmmm now that i think of it, that would interfear with the starter.. so nm

·
Registered
187 Posts
So... a little bit of search, because I'm a dumbass, got me to find some interesting info.

Now maybe I'm making a wrong assumption, but my understanding was that the GM/Chevy tranny 700/TH350/TH400/4L60 all have similar (read the same) bolt pattern.
And since the 98 camaro ss had the t56, but also sported the 4l60e tranny, both bolt up to the same block, therefore both have the same bolt pattern.
So really a th400/4l60e adapter plate would allow us to bolt the 2jz to a t56?

Yeah.. it's late.... so I'm probably dreaming and wrong, and there's definitely some other issues, such as the clutch and shaft lenght - although there's tones of different (interchangeable) output shaft made for the tranny, and I'm sure we could almost source one out that would have the same spline and diameter for the 2jz clutch.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts