Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am more then likely getting a 1JZ on order tommorow. Kind of a hard to pass price. I got the guy down to $1k shipped for the motor with everythin minus the ECU, Harness and tranny. I was planning on getting the motor now and working on the ECU and harness later due to budget ruight now.

But Ive been doing some searching and just looking for the opinions of how you guys like the 1J's compared to their 7m's?
I like the ups of having the higher rev limits, more reliable with gaskets and no more AFM bullshit, but the loss of TQ and the thought in the back of my head if the swap is really worth it? From the looks of things guys seem to be making the same power with boltons correct?
What kind of power can them twins supply with some higher boost? Id prob be forced to keep the twins for a little.
I also hear its alot harder to get parts for these. Thats another downside i guess?

Lastly is there anything else about the install I should know? I have gathered the wiring can be a pain in the ass, I will need a diff bellhousing I guess and flywheel?
Is that pretty much it?

Thanks for your guys help. SELL ME ON THE 1JZ. lol

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
lack of torque? :lol:

-Joe :run:

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
1jz sux... no torque.

·
Boostin' to the limit!
482 Posts
Lol, I wouldn't say "lack of torque" because there's plenty despite its displacement. What you won't have is that sorta "kick" the 7m's have because its powerband is more smoother.

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dunno. Some of the 7M praisers say there is a lack of tw from the 7m to the 1jz?
True or false?
I never been in a 1j. I absolutely love the tq od my 7m though. but i hate the low revs.

I dunno, just looking for more pros vs cons to see if I'm making the right desicion.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
heres my rendition of my impression of a 7M and a 1J with basic mods

7M....

HEY TORQUE!!! *revs climb to about 5000+* hey, whered my torque go :hsugh:

1JZ....

HEY TORQUE!!! *revs climb past 6000+* HEY, its still there!!! :eek3:

seriously though.... its hard to explain without experiencing both

i like the very linear powerband of the 1J. and the whole "no torque" thing is poopoo

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
^ I agree... it's a liniar powerband on the 1j... great for auto x ... then you get board with the stock turbo's and go single...

·
Boostin' to the limit!
482 Posts
Turbo-Joe said:
heres my rendition of my impression of a 7M and a 1J with

HEY TORQUE!!! *revs climb to about 5000+* hey, whered my torque go :hsugh:

Haha, changing the puny CT for a bigger turbo makes for something else.... :biggrin:

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
ok^

HEY TORQUE!!! *revs climb to about 5500+* hey, whered my torque go :sad:

Edited for 60-1's

·
Trev
1,516 Posts
i have had a stock 7M, slightly modded 7M and a APU all out 7M. I love them all...when they worked:) torque and boost were nice. I love the 1jz though better...smoother power band, MUCH BETTER revs, better ECU and fuel system, and just plain kick ass to see everytime i open the hood. HIGHLY recommended

Trev

·
Chris Dickens
3,027 Posts
itr206 said:
SELL ME ON THE 1JZ. lol
It's a crappy engine. Sell yours to me, and stick with the 7M. Use the money to stockpile head gaskets and ARP bolts. :p

if you didn't know, j/k

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hahah thats one of the things that makes me think its worth it. No worries about BHG's all the time. I mean I havent had that trouble with mine becuase it was re tqed and has an MHG. But still the thought of it.
All kinds of little things make me hate that motor as the days go on, but I fall back in love with it when I drive it.
But yea from going from a car making tons and tons of power even past 9k to a car that dies above 5k kinda kicks me in the nuts.

So does the $1k shipped sound like a decent price for the motor itself?
Will I have probs finding the other stuff I need later?
The only big thing that concerns me is the harness lengthening. My ass just puckers when I thnk of cutting apart harnesses

·
Registered
288 Posts
It ain't so bad to do the lengthening of the harness. Just make sure to use good USB 2.0 cable on the shielded wire and make sure to shield the entension all the way.

The body connectors you can have HamsMkIII make for you (for a fee) and the only other thing left is the EA2 connector under the hood.

Seriously, if you have the ability to read wiring diagrams, go for it. You'll never look back.

·
LAG?? Learn to drive...
1,941 Posts
Ok i am in the process of doing a 1j swap, and here is my POV..

I had a 300rwhp 7M, i loved the power that car made, it pulled like a banshee up to 6K it had a good pull and suprised alot of people, all i had was a Spearco FMIC, custom 2.5" Hardpipes, intake and full exhaust @14psi.

i drove my buddies 1j with just an intake, and full 3" exhaust, and my impressions were this: the car didnt have the same hard pull, it reminded me too much of a S2000 you gotta rev the shit out of it to get it to move. It didnt have that torque pull my car had, instead it had a nice smooth push that kept going to 7K. not by anymeans slow but it lacked something for me. and it threw me off the 1j until i remembered my 7M with only a full exhaust and the 1j is much much faster than it was. the 1j pulls so much harder than it did and it has soooo much more potential. Im going Single later this summer, thinking SP67HO???, and i think that should take care of what the 1j was missing for me. not to metion 600rwhp on a 7M was an accomplishment and involved alot of prepping the motor to handle it. 600rwhp on a 1j and its just starting to stretch. So im going 1j, mainly for the reliability, but i will miss the 7M (when it was running)

i would however be weary of that $1000shipped, you get waht you pay for in life, ive heard horror stories from my buddie who does 1j swaps (he wont be doing mine) about clips with rod knocks, or low to no compression, clips that were beat to hell and trans that were junk, sludged up motors, and not complete clips. Im getting mine from Jarco. willing to spend a bit more for a gaurantee and possibly some extra goodies under that clips hood.

also dont forget that you will need a MKIV or custom Power steering hose and bolt. along with a few extra spare hundred bucks for suprises. they allwasy show up in a motor swap.

·
Chris Dickens
3,027 Posts
supraracer01 said:
i drove my buddies 1j with just an intake, and full 3" exhaust, and my impressions were this: the car didnt have the same hard pull, it reminded me too much of a S2000 you gotta rev the shit out of it to get it to move. It didnt have that torque pull my car had, instead it had a nice smooth push that kept going to 7K. not by anymeans slow but it lacked something for me. and it threw me off the 1j until i remembered my 7M with only a full exhaust and the 1j is much much faster than it was. the 1j pulls so much harder than it did and it has soooo much more potential. Im going Single later this summer, thinking SP67HO???, and i think that should take care of what the 1j was missing for me. not to metion 600rwhp on a 7M was an accomplishment and involved alot of prepping the motor to handle it. 600rwhp on a 1j and its just starting to stretch. So im going 1j, mainly for the reliability, but i will miss the 7M (when it was running)
I hated the way it felt when boost would come on in the 7M. On one hand it was cool to be thrown back like that, but it was sudden and it didn't last long. I noticed the smooth power cuve of the 1g-gte when I was riding in a jdm/rhd Soarer and I wanted that feel. The 1g left something to be desired power wise, and it wasn't until I rode in a 1jz that I realized I could have both.

Riding in a 1jz it was smooth, the power was there, and it lasted a lot longer. Reliability is a big issue for me, and I'm not a drag strip kind of guy so the 1j is the better choice. Then I rode in a 1j with just intake, exhaust, twin power, and cams. I think he had a boost controller as well but we weren't boosting any higher than stock. That thing was impressive to say the least.

It wasn't until recently while planning my 7M that I realized that with all the rebuilding, prepping, and necessary supporting mods I'd need, I could go 1j for not too much more. :dunno:

·
Trev
1,516 Posts
I agree that Jarco did a fine job. The only problem I have with them is that I got a smashed IC with a crack in it (not saleable to anyone...now a wall decoration in the garage) and I never got a new one. The motor was INCREDIBLY clean though and i got a video of the clip running too:)

pay a little more....get a lot more.....save yourself the cash and pick it up....that would have saved me $$$ on shipping.

Trev

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well its not a whole clip for $1k. Its jsut the motor, manfifolds, turbos ect.
No ecu, no harness no trans(becuase I didnt need it)

Jarco never gets back to me when I ask them about motors.
I found a couple other places for $1200 with the trans, but why spend extra money for an auto trans I cant use. So i guess the price to me looks like a good on point price.
Plus they have pretty good feedback on Ebay.
The place is called Precision-Tuning or something of the sort in FL.

·
Resident Smartass
1,052 Posts
Never heard of them, but your life will be much easier getting a 5sp clip. That way no worries about a part you need for the swap, everything is preety much there.

As far as the torque goes, go single and shoot the piss out of it....

* revs climb to 8000, HOLY FUCKING SHIT MAN THIS THINGS A GD ROCKET HOLD THE FUCK ON TO SOMETHING BIATCH THIS FUCKING ROCKS * shift gear* HOLY SHIT HERE WE GO AGAIN.....and I'm spent.........kleenex please.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts