Supra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 92 Posts

2,223 Posts
All the gauge installs you see on that dash were done by the owner of the car, Mike Swientek. Both he and I were in the car audio buisness together for many years and are now doing other buisnesses.

I am a long time friend of his and even I can not pull him away from his buisness and family long enough to do some "supra related" things for me or anyone else.

His 97 RSP is absolutely one of the finest in the entire country.

So, please don't ask me to try and have him create this dash for you.

My post was ment to prove that you can have all your necessary gauges and not have your car completely RICED out!

Thomas Kenyon

· NortheastCoatings.Net
349 Posts
I had my guy make me this for my 98 supra.
I know the guages in there right now are all the same. I took them just for the picture. (noticed I didnt even put the heater controls back in) Like i said this was just for the picture!!!..
I am installing the DEFI blackouts or just the black faced ones as soon as I finish up the other wiring needed. I guess depending on whats left in stock will be whats going in...

Enjoy the large picture!

2,223 Posts
Al98TT..... Looks sweet, can't say I have ever seen a gauge install like that.

Looks like a bit of bondo & fiberglass then prepped and sprayed the dash color.

It appears to be a very sweet job.

In my opinion, installing aftermarket items in a tasteful manner takes time and sometimes money. Too many people look for the easy way out.

Installing gauges in the A pillar or hanging off the right side of the dash takes no creativity and lacks individuality. If you honestly think it looks good like that then you ought to sell your Supra and get a CIVIC where crap like that is acceptable.

There!! That oughta get em' started.

· Built Auto
1,096 Posts
ThomasKenyon said:

Installing gauges in the A pillar or hanging off the right side of the dash takes no creativity and lacks individuality. If you honestly think it looks good like that then you ought to sell your Supra and get a CIVIC where crap like that is acceptable.

:lol: then i guess A LOT of people on this board might as well sell their supras and get civics then :rolleyes: come on man, installing gauges and stuff into the dash is nice, perhaps a cleaner or more unique look, but damn it takes a lot of balls or money to cut up your dash and or have a professional do it. The triple pillar does not look bad and certainly does not obstruct my view. Guess you've been hanging out with a bunch of CIVIC owners who get gauges and triple pillars for no reason. IMO, i can take a look at all three of my gauges quick and easy on the pillar, where as your friend has to look down and around the steering wheel to see them.

· NortheastCoatings.Net
349 Posts
I had the double guage piller.. then for last year i wanted low key and ran with no guages.. since Im running a standalone evrything i needed was logged.. etc etc..

Since then i wanted something custom.. therefore my custom dash.. As for chopping up the dash.. I have a spare ;)

· Former Moderator
4,503 Posts
ThomasKenyon said:
I'm goin' out on a limb here and say this is one of the nicest aftermarket gauge installs on any MKIV ever. It is my buddy's 97 6sp RSP here in San Antonio. Gauges hangin off the side of the dash or A pillar is straight up RICE.

Please refrain from all RICER type activities.

Thank you.

Thomas Kenyon
That is the way I would do it, but with Defi gauges. Defi owns me!! :D It's one sweet dash setup!

-Olivier

· Registered
2,328 Posts
Rocky28072,

Shouldn't Supra owners have balls and money in the first place? There is a fine line between rice and convenience that often these days although having gauges on the pillar or sticking out on the dash or may be easier to see, that shit tends to look tacky. If you disagree then check your wallet, your age, and the people you hang out with.

Thomas that is the cleanest install I have ever seen on a Supra btw.

· Supra OG
2,772 Posts
It's a leather weave that looks like carbon fiber. Very hard to find. it is used on the instrument panel, guage pod, passenger side airbag guage pod, and the door panel inserts.

I can understand why many would not want to have a guage pod sitting off the side of the instrument panel and while my car is show'n go, these guages are very functional I assure you i.e. I can see them while driving much better than if they were inserted into the instrument panel. Being 6'5", any guage layout that uses the instrument panel is just too hard for me to view while driving the car.

LMBLF8 said:
XCELR8- what kind of fabric is that overt your dash and gauge pillar, its looks sweet as hell.

· Registered
3,665 Posts
I'm in th eprocess of doing LEDs on my car and have gone from white faced stock stuff to black faced reverse EL. That means my two piller gauges need to be swapped and I'm considering other gauge brands. Trouble is - where do you find boost gauges that read over 2BAR? Something tasteful with peak\hold, warning, and playback?

Most of all - where can I find a danged fuel pressure gauge that compensates for manifold pressure so I don't have to try and do math in my head while driving? My AEM can log this stuff but I'd like a gauge with warning that can give me a heads up and playback. DEFI does this, Apexi ELII might - both only read to 2BAR on boost.:mad:

Blitz DC are looking good but I don't know about the fuel pressure gauge. If I cannot find a pressure gauge like I want then maybe just black faced Apexi EL, I have the white ones now. What are people doing for gauge brands?

And yes the chrome rings look nice. Piller gauges are nice line of sight gauges. FJO A/F is on my column but my warning LEDs will take care of me WOT. <shrug>

· Senior Spooler
1,213 Posts
HUH?!

ThomasKenyon said:
Al98TT..... Looks sweet, can't say I have ever seen a gauge install like that.

Looks like a bit of bondo & fiberglass then prepped and sprayed the dash color.

It appears to be a very sweet job.

In my opinion, installing aftermarket items in a tasteful manner takes time and sometimes money. Too many people look for the easy way out.

There!! That oughta get em' started.
Where's pics of your cars dash? You commented on this being your friends?
Gonna rip people's personal preference you should at least let them see your setup.

· Registered
551 Posts
Al98t said:
I had my guy make me this for my 98 supra.
I know the guages in there right now are all the same. I took them just for the picture. (noticed I didnt even put the heater controls back in) Like i said this was just for the picture!!!..
I am installing the DEFI blackouts or just the black faced ones as soon as I finish up the other wiring needed. I guess depending on whats left in stock will be whats going in...

Enjoy the large picture!

i dont know, but to me this looks photshopped
is just me or does anyone else think the same
it may not be i just think it is

and sorry if its not

:devil:

· NortheastCoatings.Net
349 Posts
SLIDER said:
i dont know, but to me this looks photshopped
is just me or does anyone else think the same
it may not be i just think it is

and sorry if its not

:devil:
sorry to say its not photoshopped!

i can take more pictures if you like, right now its out of the car again, cause its going in for a final spray down

· Registered
3,578 Posts
Al98t - I would LOVE to see a nice pic of the back of your dash while it's out!!! ;)
I assume it was fiberglass that was used?

ThomasKenyon - You and I think alike ;)
(I dont mind the A-pillar pods really since it sorta looks like an original part of the car with a bit of imagination....it's the other stuff dangling from everywhere and thrown in like a beef stew that bothers me - unless it's a race car :D )

As far as customizing the dash by cutting it and reshaping etc.....yes, all it takes is a spare/new piece to undo any mistakes or changes in taste latter on ;)
It's the permenant "damage" to the MKIV that makes me cry :p

21 - 40 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.