Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking about making one for myself but id like to see what some others have done first so i can get some ideas.

3,796 Posts
I made one but it didnt hold up well....Ill have to make another.

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
I made one from some 2" exhaust pipe. I first welded uo some baffles for inside then I capped the emd with sheet metal. I welded some 1/2" pipes comming out the top and painted the whole thing. It turned out really good and works great. I will see if I can find some pics.

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
I'm thinking of making one out of PVC, just to keep the ghetto mod theme running true....
Seriously though, the plastic would work fine, and be easy to make as well.
For now, my "catch" can is just a plastic fitting with a 1/2 bung threaded into it, and a K&N filter clamped onto it. (Has worked excellent so far.) Here are two pics of how I have it set up.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
doesnt the PCV system, need to be a closed system?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am more concerned not about the closed system, but pressure changes in the crankcase.

Routing PCV back to intake creates vacuum in the PCV system, and sucks the air from crankcase. How bad is it for engine to have just atmospheric pressure, not vacuum in the crankcase?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
sucking the air out the crankcase is a good idea, less air...less resistance with the rods and crank and pistons...if you suck out the air and have a negative vacumm then less air resistance

W

·
0 Posts
seems that most, or at least many people just vent it. Its not really a true PCV system anyhow. Theres no valves or anything. I dont see venting it to the air as posing a problem, tons of people do it.

Most cars you see, not supras, just have either a breather, or some other crap that doesnt recieve any manifold vacuum.

I will run mine vented for a while as it is now and see what happens.

3,796 Posts
Do you NEED a vacuum source?

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
From what I understand, the port on the TB pulls vacume while off boost, and closes up when pressure exceeds ambiant.
This serves to burn off any oil and gas vapors from the valve cover vents.
While under boost, the crankcase is vented to outside air with my system, and any oil vapor gets caught in the filter, not my IC or pipes.
(They are dry as a bone now, and used to be full of oily residue as was my FMIC. (The stock one is still dripping oil.....)
As most of the time I'm not under boost, there is very little vapor to catch in the filter.
At this point, I'm not changing anything as this setup works great.

3,796 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
adjuster> Bad idea... I've siezed two engines from trying the same concept! (blew ALL my oil out the vent, and also fried my pistons due to blow-by)

mdcmotorsports> got it right! Note how he has connected the can to the INLET side of the turbo: this is the best vaccum source you can get, and it's even better under boost! High crankcase vaccum reduse aerodynamic drag for the crank, but more importantlly: the rings work better, giving you a better seal and less blow-by = More power!

Bahraini_zupra> You need as many fittings in the can as places you vent from: block+head+vaccumsource (turbo inlet)

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
NielsenRacing said:
adjuster> Bad idea... I've siezed two engines from trying the same concept! (blew ALL my oil out the vent, and also fried my pistons due to blow-by)

mdcmotorsports> got it right! Note how he has connected the can to the INLET side of the turbo: this is the best vaccum source you can get, and it's even better under boost! High crankcase vaccum reduse aerodynamic drag for the crank, but more importantlly: the rings work better, giving you a better seal and less blow-by = More power!

Bahraini_zupra> You need as many fittings in the can as places you vent from: block+head+vaccumsource (turbo inlet)

Yeah, but you get a lot of crap circulating through your intake system (oil). It deposits on the intercooler and is a pain to clean.

3,796 Posts
NielsenRacing said:

So you dont need it attached tho the TB port as long as it has a good vacuum source? That makes sense....

W

·
0 Posts
so how does the greddy can work?? it pulls it out of the engine, into the can, then the air back into the engine?? im confused...

N

·
0 Posts
91T4 said:
Yeah, but you get a lot of crap circulating through your intake system (oil). It deposits on the intercooler and is a pain to clean.
No, you dont! This is why the can is installed. It collects most of the oily dropplets in the vapor, so your IC remains clean. This is the cans only purpose!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts