Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard mostly that powder coating over chrome does not work. I have a pair of wheels that I like but have been dipped in chrome from the manufacturer and would be better suited in another color. A company in town claims they can do it but all my research points me to them being full of shit. Has anyone successfully gotten chrome wheels powder coated (to a different color like black or gunmetal)?

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
i dont have an answer to your question but you could always get the chrome stripped.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont have an answer to your question but you could always get the chrome stripped.
I thought about having that done but by the time you factor in the cost to get them stripped, then powder coated I might as well find new wheels.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The powder-coating places I have been to have always had sandblasting cabinets. At a minimum, I would think roughing up/dulling the chrome would make it adhere much better than clean smooth chrome.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You can powder coat over chrome. I used to run a powder coating shop and we did this a lot. Only issue that we would run into is, if the chrome had a lot of pitting from being old and not taken care of or cheap chrome.
The sand blasting will scuff the chrome up enough and might almost take it off.
As long as shop does there part in prep and curing you will be fine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can powder coat over chrome. I used to run a powder coating shop and we did this a lot. Only issue that we would run into is, if the chrome had a lot of pitting from being old and not taken care of or cheap chrome.
The sand blasting will scuff the chrome up enough and might almost take it off.
As long as shop does there part in prep and curing you will be fine.
Well that is what I needed to know. I assume they have some sort of media/sand blasting cabinet so with that I am going to give it a shot. I will update the thread with the results when they are done.
Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts