Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, can you powdercoat the stock valve covers. The guy locally here says there is some rubber on the inside and he isnt sure if he can bake the covers. Anyone know?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Yes, strip them down (breather rubbers and the gaskets) and they will be fine. I had mine done a year ago and they still look new.

·
SF.com Member #0000000023
1,219 Posts
Just FYI guys....

I picked up TT with a blown motor via spun bearing. I inspected the powdercoated valve covers to see they were flaking badly on the motor-facing side. As hard as this powercoating is, I can see it screwing up bearings.

-Mike

·
Registered
970 Posts
Sorry, thinking of the spark plug cover, my mistake.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Just FYI guys....

I picked up TT with a blown motor via spun bearing. I inspected the powdercoated valve covers to see they were flaking badly on the motor-facing side. As hard as this powercoating is, I can see it screwing up bearings.

-Mike
Do you mean they coated the inside? Wasn't very clear. If that's the case just don't powdercoat the inside...

Alex

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Ryan
this was my old car
all that stuff is powdercoated except turbo
intake manifold along with lowers
valve covers
dp/mp

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
Why not chrome it unless your not into the bling look.
Better than polished and only costs $200 to get done.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
or get them polished, search for the work Tony does

·
Registered
243 Posts
i had mine powdercoated and they turned out great. All you have to do isremoved the oil fitting, and the metal coverings. Also the guy only charged me $40 to do it.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do you have to remove the metal pieces on the inside. I think they are riverted in. I also see a fine layer of rubber around those metal pieces, does that get ruined when baking or is it fine?
LMK
thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
i removed mine becuase i had them sandblasted before they powdercoated them. I would removed all the rubber before taking them in. On mine there was just like 2 little screws that needed to be taken out, mine definitely did nt have any rivets in it. Also make sure you take out the oil fitting on one of the covers (exhaust side i think). When you take it out dont worrie about screwing up the rubber groment, it is just a PVC valve, and you can buy a new one anywhere. I hope this helps

·
Registered
318 Posts
these are GTE valve covers, not GE covers, sorry for the confusion. Do I need to remove the pieces inside, cause they look riveted.
Here is a pic, let me know if I need to do anything further.
This is a good question...Cuz well the motor gets a few hundred degrees and I think they only bake the PC at 400 ish...so I dunno...

·
400 meters from Autobahn
130 Posts
Why not chrome it unless your not into the bling look.
Better than polished and only costs $200 to get done.
Anybody know of a very repuatible chromer that's been used by a lot of people on the forum? Preferably East Coast. I recall an orange supra that had a stripped and painted engine bay with the components chromed. Thanks.

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts