Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about purchasing a 93.5-95 Supra TT 6sp (I know its a long hard journey to find one) and was wondering how the power is below 3000 rpm? I really enjoy driving my Z around town because I have so much torque being made as low as 1500 RPM. Are the MKIV's really dogs in city driving? Do you have to get into boost for the car to get up and go? How are the torque numbers compared to HP numbers? When does the torque begin to build?

Thanks guys,

Doug D

·
Registered
658 Posts
it is tough to answer your question because it is partialy perception. However in my opinion they have plenty of go from a stop. the torque even on a stock supra is decent. Certainly na cars pushrods are tuned for low end torque and it is a different feel. I had the opportunity recently to drive a c5 auto and a 6 spd Porsche. the supra was hands down faster from zero up IMHO( I am BPU)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Its probably going to seem pretty torqueless compared to a 95 Z28. But in a 6 speed the gearing is short so you are in and out of 1st pretty quick. I don't drive an auto so I can't say but I would think it would be less noticable.

A six-speed is not really my choice for city driving. The clutch is fine but definately feels heavier and has a shorter travel than the Z28 I drove. A little laggy. But I'm daily driving mine now in SoCal stop and go. Not bad. I granny shift and am light on the pedal so other people would probably feel differently.

J

·
0 Posts
i think the torque and low end will be lower compared to your z28. power doesnt really come on until the turbo spools and u only feel it really when #2 comes online and that isnt until 4k rpm and after...
when u race your supra though, u keep it in the right gear and keep the rpms up so you'll hit boost quickly.
city drivign im sure u can't beat your z28
turbos are awesome in theri way though.. just different..

·
No Mercy
387 Posts
There's torque.

There's torque below 3000 RPMs. You'll be above 3,000 RPM most of the time anyway. Winding it to 3500 casually isn't exactly revving high in the Supra like it is in a V8.

Hell, you should never really BE below 3,000 RPM anyway, if you want to go fast... and unless you want to go fast, you shouldn't be wasting gas anyway, in my opinion... :)

If you get a 6speed, just row those gears! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts