Supra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
I haven't even gotten that far yet. I could not get the plastic piece out of the rail.

·
Registered
655 Posts
just wondering how would you get the seat off if it was pushed all the way to the back and the motor or plastic gear was no good. How would you reach the bolts in the rear.

·
MMA Addict
1,221 Posts
just wondering how would you get the seat off if it was pushed all the way to the back and the motor or plastic gear was no good. How would you reach the bolts in the rear.
Re-read this whole thread.

There are two nuts in the front part of the rails that will move the seat so ever slightly in either direction with turning it clockwise or counter clockwise. The rail closest to the center console takes a 10mm socket and the rail that's closest to the driver door takes a 12mm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bumping this old thread because it appears Gamiviti is out of business.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem? I just purchased a pair of OEM seats and the seller screwed me over, he did not tell me that the seat gear was stripped.

I am in dire need of a LH seat base. If anyone has a seat base, please PM me. I will gladly buy a power or manual base. I need to get this car back on the road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, apparently their website has been down and I could not find their contact info. I found their email via web cache and they replied and got the website back up.

Either way, if anyone has a manual rail they want to sell - let me know.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have reached out to Robert @ MVP about this issue and seeing if they can make the gear out of metal or something other than plastic.

Please show your support to get this part made as I have the same problem with no solid fix in sight.

If you are interested send fallow up E-mails to Robert to show that there is a need and many many customers willing to buy the part if they can produce it for us.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just to update people just finding this thread. I purchased two gears from gamviti and got them in today. The cap fits perfect. The gears are another issue however. They are the right gear, but I do believe the inner diameter could use .5mm shaved off. Like someone above, I cracked the first one putting it on and thought perhaps I was moving too quick. Then I got the second one on slowly. Everything seemed ok, got the seat frame set in the car without the cusion bottom to allign the rails. Once alligned, I powered the seats forward and backward a few inches perfectly. Before pulling out to set the cushion and plastics back on, I decided to see if there were any catch issues when setting all the way forward and then back to the max which I hadn't done yet. Forward till stop fine, backward till stop and I heard a small "click" sound. Wouldn't you know the seat didn't move forward anymore.

Took the assembly apart and the 2nd gear was cracked. Out $40 at the moment it seems. Before giving up however, I applied plastic weld to one of the broken gears, clamped it together with a screw down hose clamp, then added some plastic weld to the metal portion and pressed back together. Will inspect and re assemble in the morning to see if it is of any use. If not, it's back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It seems like you could take a new gear and slightly over size the hole with a drill bit. I have come across this thread multiple times but my issue is that where the seat motor failed... I can't unbolt the seat. So, I will have to manually move it using the bolts until I'm able to reach the bolts holding the seat to the floor. Luckily they are only hand tight since the seat had been out to install my cage and I knew they were coming back out to have the car painted. And the car wasn't being driven. Just a PIA to have to remove and repair.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I just ran into this today working on my new supra, does anyone know if these gears are still being made by the people that the link was posted about? I will contact them Monday, just wanted to check to see if anyone knew...what a pain...figured out the worm screw after I removed the seat which was a total joy...

·
XECUTOR
208 Posts
Assuming you got your parts...but yes, they are still in business as I just repaired my seat. I used a dremel to sand out the middle some...just to where the gear would start to seat on its own. Then i boiled the plastic gear and pressed it on the metal drive/gear as already identified before. I had to replace both left and right plastic gears. The left gear, had to replace twice. The first time, i didn't sand out the middle and it cracked on the first test try after reassembly. I took pics if anyone needs help/advice.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm about to do my seats with the same gear repair kit. I'm thinking that instead of opening the plastic gear ID I would heat the metal spline and press in. This may make a really good "glued" fit.

Thoughts?

·
XECUTOR
208 Posts
try it out...for me, i heated the plastic gear and it ended up cracking on one side. I replaced both gears. One side, all i did was heat the plastic gear, press it on and it worked. Side #2 cracked after installing it...so i figured it might be too much stress pushing out on the gear...hence the trimming the ID. It worked for me...seat is back in and functional, with me in it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Took the seat apart today and replaced the gear. I found a washer that fit the metal shaft and stopped on the splines of that shaft and locked it in my vice. Heated the shaft and pushed the plastic gear on with a socket. I held it on until it cooled.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 71 Posts
About this Discussion
70 Replies
33 Participants
2JZ-GTE.de
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing