Supra Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
MMA Addict
1,221 Posts
Yes, just buy the whole kit, caps and gears.

In my opinion harwewe1's method would work pretty good as the metal shaft will be really hot and the plastic gear could be easily melt and slide on at the same time.

P.S. Wish someone would take one of these gears and replicate them with the correct I.D. and of a stronger material. Seeing as the vast majority of MK4 owners are in for the long haul with their car. A metal gear with a press fit I.D. would be godly.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I measured the ID and the diameter of the splines on the shaft in the "valley". These are extremely close in size. So yes it is a interference fit because you have to create the splines. FYI don't have the metal gear red hot but just right lol. Wish I would have measured the temp because it seemed perfect. I would have probably done what usccox did if he didn't try it first. I think what happened in his case when plastic was heated it expanded and when pressed on the id of the plastic was on the od of the metal splines.... Cooled, shrank, popped.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bought a 94 that didnt have a working driver seat. Looked under it and the wire was cut. So I tried to move the seat manually and the nuts (10mm and 12mm adjusting nuts) just came off. So I fixed the wire and the seat makes a noise like it wants to move but it doesnt. It sounds like its binding and the motor doesnt whir or spin or anything. They are cloth seats with power and the rear are black leather. So I dont know if someone swapped in this broken seat but I cant get it to move, Thoughts?

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's also possible I tightened it down too much but I didn't hear any crunching or bad noises when trying to run the motor. It was just locked.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Just got around to fixing my seat. I took a tiny but out of the center with a dremel and then heated the shaft in a vice with a torch like harwewe1 did and just pressed the gear on by hand using a socket. I didn't have to apply much pressure to press the gear onto the shaft. Put everything back together and the seat works great now. It's only been stuck in one position for about 4 years now :) Since no one else drives it, it wasn't a problem but was just something I always wanted to get fixed.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Guys I could use some help here....so frustrated...

I disassembled everything and pressed off the old busted gear which had a groove in it from where the metal worm screw met the stuck gear, which I assume is the problem all of us had. So I heated the shaft and pressed the new gear on and made sure it was symmetrical and when I put the seat in the car it started clicking and immediately wore a groove in the gear.

So rinse and repeat, dissemble it all and press on the 2nd new gear, this time tested it out of the car and it all moved freely without issues. Great, so I put the complete motor assembly on the drivers rail only and tested it and it began to bind up immediately and chewed up this gear as well...now I am out of gears and $40

WTF am I doing wrong?? Did anyone else have this issue, I just cant figure out what the issue is!!!

·
Drive Hard
632 Posts
installed a new plastic gear, but problem still here
how you have solved?

·
Registered
4 Posts
installed a new plastic gear, but problem still here
how you have solved?
Hi, I am having the same problem with my drivers seat out of a 98 supra, but I see no one has commented since 2017. Has anyone ordered recently from gamiviti? And does anyone have a better solution since this post is 3 years old? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I am having the same problem with my drivers seat out of a 98 supra, but I see no one has commented since 2017. Has anyone ordered recently from gamiviti? And does anyone have a better solution since this post is 3 years old? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
I ordered my gears from gamiviti recently, but has not install it yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's no better solution out there afaik. I bought mine from gamiviti earlier this year.
The install is a bit fiddly but doable.

This Video helped me:

Make sure to clean the parts/gears and put some fresh grease on them.
Works as good as new.

Greetz from Germany!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a follow-up. ordered parts from gamiviti and replaced the plastic gear. Took a little while but was successful. Seat works great now. I also put a small screw in the end cap to make sure the cap does not come out. Thanks for the help. If anyone has any specific questions I would be more than happy to try and answer them.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Just a follow-up. ordered parts from gamiviti and replaced the plastic gear. Took a little while but was successful. Seat works great now. I also put a small screw in the end cap to make sure the cap does not come out. Thanks for the help. If anyone has any specific questions I would be more than happy to try and answer them.
how hard was it to press the gear on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
how hard was it to press the gear on?
Was not to difficult. I used a drill press. used a socket that fit the gear perfectly, chucked the socket up in the drill press. The part that the gear is to go on too, i found a washer that the shaft would fit into then i used a table clamp to hold the shaft. Then heated the shaft that the gear is to go on too. put the gear on the shaft and slowly pressed the gear on. Take your time and make sure everything is lined up. The key is to have the right tools. Hope this helps

·
Registered
214 Posts
Can anyone rehost the Supra specific pictures? I can’t seem to view anything in this thread. This just seemed to happen on the car I’m restoring. It worked fine until the other day when I went to remove the seats to replace the carpet. Luckily I was able to get them to come out fine but when I went to reinstall the seats today, I noticed it was twisting on the track when I tried to move the seat forward. It seems like only the one rail was moving forward? I assume it’s the gear issue but it didnt see anything missing but may need to take it apart further - not sure if I’m looking in the right spot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can anyone rehost the Supra specific pictures? I can’t seem to view anything in this thread. This just seemed to happen on the car I’m restoring. It worked fine until the other day when I went to remove the seats to replace the carpet. Luckily I was able to get them to come out fine but when I went to reinstall the seats today, I noticed it was twisting on the track when I tried to move the seat forward. It seems like only the one rail was moving forward? I assume it’s the gear issue but it didnt see anything missing but may need to take it apart further - not sure if I’m looking in the right spot.

Yes, its gearing issue. Here you go.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just did mine last weekend. I bought the complete kit but only ended up replacing the gear opposite to the motor. The inside of the oem plastic gear is toothed. The inside of the gamivitti gear is flat. Its way too small to press on as is. I could see it cracking trying to do so. I debated using a torch or grinding it out some, but I decided to use the torch because that should allow some material to remain in between the metal teeth and help with rotational strengh.

I stood the metal part upright in my vice and got it hot enough with a torch so I could start to slide the new gear on. Then I grabbed the metal shaft with pliers, removed it from the vice, turned it sideways and used the vice/socket to squeeze it on the rest of the way. Once it was in place I then blew compressed air on it so it would cool. My first attempt failed. I got it too hot and it sizzled the plastic away and went on crooked. The trick is to get it just hot enough where you can start to slide the gear on with your fingers.

For the screw cap, it still fit pretty tight. I didn't drill and use a set screw like the guy did in the video. I cleaned it well then encased it with high heat hot glue. For alignment I unbolted the spiral shaft on the motor side from the rail. Then I hooked a battery to the motor to put the passenger side as far forward as possible. Then manually slid the drivers rail all the way forward and reinstalled the spiral shaft. Everything seems to work fine. If I watch the seat closely it still seems like one side starts to move before the other. Honestly I don't know how I could adjust it any better. Maybe it's normal.

·
Registered
978 Posts
i had the same shit on the driver seat , i bought the gear set from a land cruiser website
you get 2 plastic gears and some bushings i think.

i found the info here

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks all! I bought the gears/caps and watched a few walkthrough vids, so hopefully this goes ok when the parts come in...thanks again!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Just pay attention when you are taking of the long screws which roll the seat forward and back, if the teeth are miss aligned it would move sideways and may break the new parts you just installed. I had that happen to me lol , lesson learned , and do NOT heat the plastic gear in microwave as the guy in the video describes, heat the center shaft with a lighter for about 30 seconds and make sure however you are pressing in the shaft into the plastic gear is already positioned so you cant go wrong with uneven press. and it will be hot once the shaft is getting ready to slide in, wear gloves or protect your fingers. also use a good amount of white moly or white lithium grease in the drive gear and motor before you seal the caps, as you wont be opening it up again.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts