Supra Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
MMA Addict
1,221 Posts
Yes, just buy the whole kit, caps and gears.

In my opinion harwewe1's method would work pretty good as the metal shaft will be really hot and the plastic gear could be easily melt and slide on at the same time.

P.S. Wish someone would take one of these gears and replicate them with the correct I.D. and of a stronger material. Seeing as the vast majority of MK4 owners are in for the long haul with their car. A metal gear with a press fit I.D. would be godly.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I measured the ID and the diameter of the splines on the shaft in the "valley". These are extremely close in size. So yes it is a interference fit because you have to create the splines. FYI don't have the metal gear red hot but just right lol. Wish I would have measured the temp because it seemed perfect. I would have probably done what usccox did if he didn't try it first. I think what happened in his case when plastic was heated it expanded and when pressed on the id of the plastic was on the od of the metal splines.... Cooled, shrank, popped.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bought a 94 that didnt have a working driver seat. Looked under it and the wire was cut. So I tried to move the seat manually and the nuts (10mm and 12mm adjusting nuts) just came off. So I fixed the wire and the seat makes a noise like it wants to move but it doesnt. It sounds like its binding and the motor doesnt whir or spin or anything. They are cloth seats with power and the rear are black leather. So I dont know if someone swapped in this broken seat but I cant get it to move, Thoughts?

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's also possible I tightened it down too much but I didn't hear any crunching or bad noises when trying to run the motor. It was just locked.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Just got around to fixing my seat. I took a tiny but out of the center with a dremel and then heated the shaft in a vice with a torch like harwewe1 did and just pressed the gear on by hand using a socket. I didn't have to apply much pressure to press the gear onto the shaft. Put everything back together and the seat works great now. It's only been stuck in one position for about 4 years now :) Since no one else drives it, it wasn't a problem but was just something I always wanted to get fixed.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Guys I could use some help here....so frustrated...

I disassembled everything and pressed off the old busted gear which had a groove in it from where the metal worm screw met the stuck gear, which I assume is the problem all of us had. So I heated the shaft and pressed the new gear on and made sure it was symmetrical and when I put the seat in the car it started clicking and immediately wore a groove in the gear.

So rinse and repeat, dissemble it all and press on the 2nd new gear, this time tested it out of the car and it all moved freely without issues. Great, so I put the complete motor assembly on the drivers rail only and tested it and it began to bind up immediately and chewed up this gear as well...now I am out of gears and $40

WTF am I doing wrong?? Did anyone else have this issue, I just cant figure out what the issue is!!!

·
Drive Hard
632 Posts
installed a new plastic gear, but problem still here
how you have solved?

·
Registered
2 Posts
installed a new plastic gear, but problem still here
how you have solved?
Hi, I am having the same problem with my drivers seat out of a 98 supra, but I see no one has commented since 2017. Has anyone ordered recently from gamiviti? And does anyone have a better solution since this post is 3 years old? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, I am having the same problem with my drivers seat out of a 98 supra, but I see no one has commented since 2017. Has anyone ordered recently from gamiviti? And does anyone have a better solution since this post is 3 years old? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
I ordered my gears from gamiviti recently, but has not install it yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's no better solution out there afaik. I bought mine from gamiviti earlier this year.
The install is a bit fiddly but doable.

This Video helped me:

Make sure to clean the parts/gears and put some fresh grease on them.
Works as good as new.

Greetz from Germany!

61 - 71 of 71 Posts
About this Discussion
70 Replies
33 Participants
2JZ-GTE.de
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing