Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MSB for Life! :D
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked around, and it doesn't seem that anyone else has had this problem, or at least posted about it.

Twice in the past 4 months, I've had a bolt that holds up the bottom of the power steering snap in half. If you're looking at the engine bay from the front of the car, it would be the bolt that supports of the bottom left of the power steering unit, and then threads itself into a small mount that sits on the side of the motor. First time it happened was back in December, where when I started the car the power steering collapsed into another pulley due to the bolt shattering. It happened again a few weeks ago while I was driving, and as I pulled everything out again this past weekend and discovered it was the same exact problem. Half the bolt (including the head of the hex) would be missing, and the other half of the bolt would be stuck in the mount.

Does anyone know what may be causing this? Both times I fixed it within a hour or so, but it's a pain in the ass.

Thanks, Tim

I have no A/C compressor by the way.

·
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
how tight is the belt...i assume you needed to get a shorter belt and probably went too short since I have never heard of this problem

·
Registered
410 Posts
Is one of your tie rods or the spindle binding up?

·
2,112 Posts
also if i remember correctly, removing the compressor would cause more stress to the power steering pulley because of how the belt is routed

·
2,112 Posts
orvacian said:
i would probably shy away from that being the problem since the first time it broke was when starting up and car and the second time it was just driving...he prob would of mentioned it if he was cornering very hard

·
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SJ said:
how tight is the belt...i assume you needed to get a shorter belt and probably went too short since I have never heard of this problem
The belt is tight, but I'm not sure what to compare it to in terms of tightness. The A/C compressor has been off since April '03, so I didn't consider the shorter belt as the problem because it had been fine for almost three years.

orvacian said:
SJ said:
i would probably shy away from that being the problem since the first time it broke was when starting up and car and the second time it was just driving...he prob would of mentioned it if he was cornering very hard
I don't know what that means orvacian, but according to what SJ said, no I wasn't cornering hard at all. First time I was still in the garage when it happened, and second time I was just cruising on the freeway between 70-75mph.

SJ said:
also if i remember correctly, removing the compressor would cause more stress to the power steering pulley because of how the belt is routed
I figured, that yea, since the a/c compressor is missing, there is more stress on the power steering compressor because there are only two bolts supporting it. I was just surprised, that it took 2 1/2 years for it to break the first time, but it broke the second time about 500-600miles after the first time.

SJ, how would I check to see if the belt is too tight?

Thanks for your help guys, I greatly appreciate it, Tim.

·
2,112 Posts
honestly i dont know what to do here heh...unless you can find a higher grade bolt even thoug hthats not your problem

sorry i really dont have any other solution

·
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SJ said:
honestly i dont know what to do here heh...unless you can find a higher grade bolt even thoug hthats not your problem

sorry i really dont have any other solution
No no, don't apologize. I greatly appreciate your time in trying to help me nonetheless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts