Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the cooler for the power steering oil really neccesary(???Spelling) I am using my supe for 1/4 mile so cornering and hence steering use wont be that high so is it still needed??
How hot doe sit get??

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yes, it is. Even the craptacular line used on the 86.5-88s helps reduce temps. As long as its rotating, the pump is always pumping fluid, thus increasing its temp.

The 89-92 actually used two fin assemblies... this was becuase of the 'progressive' power steering. All progressive stering does is limit fluid pressure to the rack at higher RPMs. This cuases tremendous heat buildup, thus the more extensive cooling arrangement.

If all you're using the car for is drag... just junk the PS system. Remove the pump, reservoir, lines, brackets, etc. Then take the inlet and return on the rack and run them together.

Doesn't take of much weight, 15 pds at best (for an NA anyway, turbo cars may be a few pounds more, oweing to the metal reservoir and bracketry used to mount it)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm sure you know how heavy our cars are. Removing PS won't help much. I assume if you are removing PS to lower 1/4 mile times, you plan on/have removed, a/c, cruise, changed your stock seats to racing, use lighter weight rims, just to mention a few items.

Your question of "is the PS cooler necessary" sounds like u're willing to sacrifice factory engineered components, just to run the 1/4. I love dragging, (13.2 @ 106 factory turbo, auto), but I would not remove the wicked creature comforts our car has. (My opinion of course), rather, I would focus on adding power safely, unless u really want to strip your extremely well equipped Supra.

Mike Morris is a master of MKIII weight reduction. I've been away for a while, but was reading he ran an 11 recently (I think), so u may wanna ck. up on him. HTH, and good luck!

Regards,

Shyler, 87T, 130K

http://home.earthlink.net/~howard007/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers for replies i have removed all A/C interior crash bars cruise control power steering cooler(now gonna remove whole power steering except the rack as i cant find a replacement for it. Dont think the mustang will fit as im RHD. According to the Weight guide on www.mkiiisupra.net i have lost over 200kgs.
Will be losing another 50-100kgs soon but there more difficult too loose!!and costly!! If you can think of anything that will reduce the weight of my car then please post up. I have looked in the FAQ andd found it V helpful but am hungry for more speed.

I also know that you cant just keep making it quicker by reducing weight. So i rebuilding my second engine for 800bhp (hopefully, Lets see how things go!!) Getting good deal on Garrett GT42 Manifold and Wastegate. Getting front mount the size of USA and a front face manifold. Running Autronics ecu. 780cc Injectors Complte forged and balanced bottom end fully ported and polished head 1mm oversize valves Cams with adjustable pulleys(not AEM)

Could go on forever but not got time!! :blah:

Hopefully ill be in the 10s but who knows

suprashy said:
I'm sure you know how heavy our cars are. Removing PS won't help much. I assume if you are removing PS to lower 1/4 mile times, you plan on/have removed, a/c, cruise, changed your stock seats to racing, use lighter weight rims, just to mention a few items.

Your question of "is the PS cooler necessary" sounds like u're willing to sacrifice factory engineered components, just to run the 1/4. I love dragging, (13.2 @ 106 factory turbo, auto), but I would not remove the wicked creature comforts our car has. (My opinion of course), rather, I would focus on adding power safely, unless u really want to strip your extremely well equipped Supra.

Mike Morris is a master of MKIII weight reduction. I've been away for a while, but was reading he ran an 11 recently (I think), so u may wanna ck. up on him. HTH, and good luck!

Regards,

Shyler, 87T, 130K

http://home.earthlink.net/~howard007/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts