Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - I’m VERY new to DIY so please bare with me…

When I would be turning, I’d get an annoying “clicking” sound. I removed all the old power steering fluid from my 93.5 manual turbo, and when I pour the new power steering fluid into the reservoir, it doesn’t drain into the system.

Here’s what I did: I poured approximately 1/4 quart, noticed it wouldn’t drain, turned the accessory power on, checked the levels, and it was the same. I started the car and it took some fluid in, so I turned it off, and added approximately 1/4 quart more PS fluid, turned the car back on, but it stayed at the same level. I turned the car back on, turned the wheel back / forth easily with no noise, but the level is still the same. In frustration, I turned the wheel back and forth several times with the engine on, and the levels are still the same.

Now I get grinding sound instead of clicking when I turn the wheel, but the power steering is still working. Everything I’ve googled says grinding is not good and an indication of either needing a new power steering system, or low fluid. My guess is it’s needing more fluid, but the amount I have in there just sits in the reservoir.

Anyone have any recommendations on what is going on?? I’m obviously trying to avoid buying a new power steering system by just changing the fluids, but it won’t take it in.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thank you!!

Reactions: FasTTurbo

·
Administrator
9,392 Posts
hopefully you used dextron type 3 atf transmission fluid and not powersteering fluid. That would be a start. If there is power steering fluid you need to flush that shit out and start over before you smoke your pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hopefully you used dextron type 3 atf transmission fluid and not powersteering fluid. That would be a start. If there is power steering fluid you need to flush that shit out and start over before you smoke your pump.
Yes; Dextron 3 ATF per the PS cap... I'm considering just draining and doing again but we'll see.

·
From the land down under
4,627 Posts
I guess its possible that you have an airlock somewhere.

If you undo one of the hard lines on the rack, does ATF come out?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess its possible that you have an airlock somewhere.

If you undo one of the hard lines on the rack, does ATF come out?
I will do that tonight when I get back from my work event. When I pull the return line, ATF comes out but it's just whatever's in the reservoir. I'll update once tested. Thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please keep us updated.
I ended up buying a shop quality siphon, and went thru 2.5 quarts of ATF flushing the old stuff out and new stuff in. I turned the wheel about 10 times each way with the PS cap off to get any air out, then put it back on to test it out. It still makes a sound, but it is much less noticeable and frequent… my guess is I’ll just need a new power steering system since I’ve done everything that I have read to avoid actually buying a new one.

If anyone else has any other ideas, I’m very open to exploring them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts