Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, of course the search is down and I only have the engine manual so I have to ellicit advice on how to properly flush my power steering system.

Where is the drain?
What fluid is recommended?
How much do I need?

Do I basically act like I'm flushing my brakes, but turn the steering column instead of press the brake pedal?

Thanks.

·
SupraForums Member
434 Posts
I don think there is a drain in the system. ANyways try disconnecting the retun line into the tank.

Jack up car and manually move tires left and right to force teh fluid out the return.

When service it, bleed the system the same way by manually moving the wheels left and right with engine off. That way you cna prim the pump. WHen you see only a little bit of bubbles coming into the tank its then happy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
1) lift the car,
2) remove the ps cap,
3) get under the car and locate the PS rubber hose coming from the ps cooler to the rack & pinion assembly (driver side, front), it will have wide clamps of it, undo it and let it drain...
4) when it stops draining, get in the car and turn the wheel fully to the right and left, it will drain more, the more you do it, the more will drain out..
5) once your done with it, put the hose back on, buy your favorite ATF (I use mobile 1 synthetic atf), fill up the ps tank, get in the car and do full turns, come back and fill it up again, do this tell it stops losing level...it should be at the cold mark by now, wont hurt if its a littlie over at first..
6) start the car, and measure the cold level, if too low add more, let it idle for few minutes without the cap, so most of the air leaves the system..
7) then take it for a drive, when you get back check the hot level, see if its within level...don't overfill, it will find its way out ;-)

The system will need less then 1 qt....

These are Mohd's instructions which were taken off of the MKIV Mailing list.

Eugene

·
NSW supra club Member
475 Posts
if you want it done properly,i believe its best doing it as mentioned but starting the car and filling it up while its draining(get some1 to turn the steering while your filling)..
This way,you get all the fluid out and flushing it,but you need lots more oil.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now we're getting somewhere, thanks for the replies :D

It sounds like most fluidic systems in that you can drain and fill, or flush it. MAZMAN, any guess as to how many quarts of fluid I'll need to get it nice and clean?

·
NSW supra club Member
475 Posts
im a metric person myself as im from the land down under:)
so i dont know how many quarts:(

I do this flushing often(on other cars) and i use anywhere from 2Litres to 4Litres,depending on how bad the gunk is in the system,but at least this way you know all the old fluid is out and nice clean fluid in.
just like auto boxes,you can drain them but you cant get all the fluid out unless flushing.
Just make sure you disconnect the return line(hose) and that hose goes to your draining bucket,plug the hole on the P/S tank that you just disconnected(so oil doesnt drain when filling with new oil).
start the car,turning the steering as well,and see if the bucket is filling up(meaning,you got the right hose disconnected:p )
and keep filling the PS tank,make sure you dont run out of oil(otherwise switch of the engine).
keep filling until you see nice clean oil going in the bucket,and then just top up as required

·
Registered
1 Posts
im a metric person myself as im from the land down under:)
so i dont know how many quarts:(

I do this flushing often(on other cars) and i use anywhere from 2Litres to 4Litres,depending on how bad the gunk is in the system,but at least this way you know all the old fluid is out and nice clean fluid in.
just like auto boxes,you can drain them but you cant get all the fluid out unless flushing.
Just make sure you disconnect the return line(hose) and that hose goes to your draining bucket,plug the hole on the P/S tank that you just disconnected(so oil doesnt drain when filling with new oil).
start the car,turning the steering as well,and see if the bucket is filling up(meaning,you got the right hose disconnected:p )
and keep filling the PS tank,make sure you dont run out of oil(otherwise switch of the engine).
keep filling until you see nice clean oil going in the bucket,and then just top up as required

For all practical purposes, a US quart is equal to a litre.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts