Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed lately after i do a burnout my power steering gets abnormaly hard to turn and it whines a little bit is this normal? I checked the fluid and i seem to be ok on fluid so could it be the pump heating up or is it going out? It really only happens after i do a long burnout 20-30 sec. Then after i drive it for a bit it gets easier to turn but not as easy as before the burnout.

Thanks Barry

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Its possible that the pump is going bad. Have you ever replaced the pump in the past?

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
supra8795 said:
Its possible that the pump is going bad. Have you ever replaced the pump in the past?
nah i bought the car in jan. how it is now so no i havnt changed it

if the pump was going bad wouldnt it do that all the time? it only does it when i do burnouts i go out next morning start the car up and it drives fine :1poke:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Ok well i would go ahead and change the fluid in the pump just get ATF fluid to put in there. Also check to see if the steering dampener is bent(if you have one). Mine was all messed up and made the steering kind of rough.

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
supra8795 said:
Ok well i would go ahead and change the fluid in the pump just get ATF fluid to put in there. Also check to see if the steering dampener is bent(if you have one). Mine was all messed up and made the steering kind of rough.
i dont have a dampener on my car......how would i go about changing the fluid?

·
Registered
940 Posts
SupaMan said:
i dont have a dampener on my car......how would i go about changing the fluid?
if you want to bleed the entire system. I would remove the high pressure line going to the rack. its a 17mm banjo bolt iirc. Unhook that line and put in a bucket and make the wheel lock side to side. Connect back with new washer and the refille wit ATF and then lock side to side with resivoir cover off to release air in system.

Search. there's plenty of threads that describe how to do this.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Yep... just sounds like you need to some some basic up-keep and you should be okay. Also, be sure too check the large hose that goes from the bottom of the reservoir to the top of the pump... any slight bends or kinks in it will give you some intermittent issues.

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i checked everything today fluid level is fine and hoses are fine i wouldnt doubt that the pump is going out but i went out there today and it was whining a tiny bit sitting still in the driveway turning it lock to lock but it was normaly easy to turn.

·
Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
1,596 Posts
Don't some models have speed-sensitive power steering that stiffens the steering at high speed? Maybe the burnout makes the system think it's on the freeway.

·
Needs More 1jz
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tekdeus said:
Don't some models have speed-sensitive power steering that stiffens the steering at high speed? Maybe the burnout makes the system think it's on the freeway.
ive never heard of speed sensitive steering but that is 1 idea i highly doubt my crappy lil 86.5 n/a has it tho if they did come with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts