Supra Forums banner

Power steering Help!!

427 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  T51R SPL BB 
#1 ·
Bottom line: I had my power steering resevoir chrome plated and without hesitation..or cleaning..I installed it on the car. After about 2 minuted my power steering wouldnt work. Turns out the resevoir was full of shiznit and contaminated my entire power steering system with very very fine metallic debris. I drained the system about 4 times and refilled it. Each time with fresh fluid the power steering worked for about 1 revolution of the wheel..then stopped. I then pulled the pump apart to examine everything and it still contained some grit. I cleaned everything and put the pump back on. Clean refill of fluid and the PS worked again for about 1 turn of the wheel.
Never one to give up I rigged up a 2 liter bottle with the bottom cut out, turned upside down coupled to the stock PS resevoir to pose as a huge power steering resevoir(the system sucks fluid fast). I bypassed the circulation process and installed a hose from the pressure line feeding back to the stock resevoir and fed it into an empty gallon jug. I filled the 2 liter, started the car and turned the wheel back and forth to flush the system. When the fluid was at the bottom of the 2 liter, I stopped the engine and refilled and repeated the process to insure it was flushed.
After I was convinced all the shiznit was out of the system I swapped the pump for a new/used unit. Fresh refill and with the car running all seemed fine...I had a normal buzz from the pump till it was up to level. Turning the wheel..I HAD Power Steering!!!!! Or so I thought! OUt of the garage she comes. I drove the car around my block. As I was driving the PS was becoming tighter and tighter, harder to steer...until I rolled back in the driveway with no PS whatsoever..again!
SO....Without further ado...What the hell is going on here? Im beating my head against the wall and its really starting to hurt!
Background of the car: Sitting for 2 years and finally finished with an SP71GTS full single conversion. Vacuum line nipples coming off the switch at the main PS fitting clipped to clearance the SP race intake.

Please help, guys...this is the only reason she's not on the road!!

Dave
93 TT 6 spd
Baltic Blue

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the same problem.

Everything was ok , until i had the resevoir chromed , then i installed the resevoir and filled it with the power steering oil , and my steering wheel was very had to move , and all steering wheel oil goes out of the resevoir , every day i have to fill it with oil , and all the oil goes out and my steering wheel is so hard to move.

I hope i could help , but i need someone to help me too :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.