Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF (dexronIII/mercon equiv.) for power steering fluid?

I appreciate the feedback!

V

·
0 Posts
Synthetic Fluids for Power Steering

I just spoke with a rep from Redline who recommends Redline D4 ATF. Mobil 1 will also work, as long as it meets Dexron II or the newer III standard.

·
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It says on the container that it meets those standards. So I should be okay.

Has anyone actually used this in their car with good results?

Thanks!

V

·
0 Posts
D4, Modil 1 Mercon II or III

Mobil 1 will outperform non-synthetic fluid. Redline D4 should be even better since it is composed of a fully synthetic base stock, which Mobil 1 is not. They are both superior to "regular" fluid.

·
powered by
998 Posts
I start leaking right after switching to vavoline synthetic. I ended up having to buy a high pressure hose. Major PITA. I went back to normal atf-like the manual calls for(for my mk3 anyways)-and just plan on changing it every 30,000 miles or so. How does one PS fluid outpreform another? It's just a hydrolic(sp?) fluid. You cannot really compare to changing old 60,000 mile fluid to new synthetic stuff. Has anyone tried changing them out in like a week or something? I don't personally think you'll notice a difference between reg. atf and synthetic as long as it's new fluid. Just my opinion.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
In the past people have been concerned about switching from regular oils to synthetics in engine oil after time because synthetic oils do not "swell" seals and O Rings as much therefore leaks may develope. In reality in most any engine (especially turbocharged ones) the benefits of the synthetic outweigh the potential cons.

However on a Power Steering system which has lots of little seals and O Rings, this may cause problems. I have not heard anthing certain along these lines, but just drawing a conclusion from what I know about synthetic motor oils.

That being said, in a PS system, I don't think its worth $11+ a quart to use redline ATF in your PS if you don't have to. Plus using Redline ATF in a Supra tranny is a surefire way to make the road to a SP tranny much shorter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts