Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some serious power steering problems in my daily driver, a '91 Supra Turbo, and I need some help on it. My ego has taken a hit with this, I can't seem to figure out what the problem is :(.

Ok, the past few months since I bought the car, I have heard the power steering pump making a lot of noise. I also noticed it was leaking a little fluid from the high pressure power steering line. Another key observation was that the power steering reservoir was filled with gear oil instead of power steering fluid (I guess this is a trick to make a leaky line not leak quite as much and possibly extend the life of a bad pump). It was a really loud grinding/roaring noise coming from the pump area whenever I turned the wheel, even when I was stopped. It stayed pretty much the same until one day it got even noisier. When it got louder, I also partially lost my power steering so I came home and parked it.

I bought a remanufactured power steering pump, a power steering pressure line, and new belts. I put the old reservoir on the new pump and replaced the O-Ring going into the pump from the reservoir. I also put RTV sealant on about half of the metal-rubber junctions and the O-Ring and replaced the spring type clamps with the screw on type clamps to better seal all of the lines. I filled up the reservoir and turned the steering wheel lock to lock many times both with the car off and running to bleed the air out of it. The problem was that the reservoir kept blowing bubbles out of it, air was apparently still bleeding out of the system after a long time of turning the wheel and letting it run. It seemed to me that it was sucking air in from somewhere and circulating it back to the bottom of the reservoir, where you would finally see it bubble up to the surface. When I took it off the jack stands and started it up it was making lots of noise, just like before. It kept blowing bubbles and I still didn't have any power steering.

Sometimes when you have the cap off, the fliud keeps overflowing and you can see massive bubbles coming up. And after it runs for awhile, the pump stops making noise altogether, but it keeps blowing bubbles in the reservoir. And if you shut it off for about ten minutes or so and fire it up again, the pump makes a lot of noise again for five minutes or so. Anyways, I'm stumped. I've tightened every fitting on the line running to the steering box, and the line returning back to the reservoir, and I'm pretty much out of ideas. ANyone have an idea what the problem is?

·
Just some guy
1,682 Posts
A little bit of foam in the res is no problem. One other thing....what kind of fluid are you using? You are supposed to use ATF . Regular PS fuild will fry a toyota PS pump.

Christian

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,084 Posts
Make sure you are running DEXTRON tranny fluid.
If you are, the problem is probably your rack. I had similar problems before, when I finally tore my rack apart, a bunch of the O-Rings were torn apart and clogging the ports within the rack. If you buy a small pump that attaches to a drill, you can flush the system out to make sure it's not just dirt clogging it. Racks are a couple hundred bucks from NAPA, or if you feel comfortable rebuilding yours, the kits are $40.00 from Toyota, BUT, not the easiest thing in the world to rebuild, takes alot of large sockets, etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know, I used basic power steering fluid, not the Dexron II fluid that is supposed to be used on Toyota pumps. I wonder if the fluid is actually boiling? Maybe that's the only reason i don't have any power steering, I dunno.

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
Check for oil leaks, I didnt see you mention anything about any further oil leaks. Your system is NOT sucking in air and throwing it out the resevoir, its just the existing air stuck in the rack. The squeeling could also be from either oil on the belt of the belt not tentioned enough (more then likely its loose). Other then the over filled oil lines and the noise how is your PS working?

Kruso

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no power steering on the car, even though I just installed a new pump. I also installed a new high pressure line and there are ZERO LEAKS. But, it blows air and oil out of the power steering reservoir like crazy and the pump makes a god awful grinding noise for about 2 mins after I start it up, then the noise stops. But no matter how long the pump runs or how much I bleed the system, the air keeps bubbling and I still have no power steering. The only thing that stops is the noise, and only after it warms up. And no the belts aren't loose. There is a big difference between a belt squealing and a pump cavitating. Come on guys, anyone else have this problem? I'm sure I'm not the first one to go through this. Where are the guys that know what they're talking about :rolleyes: .

·
Some Guy With A Supra
378 Posts
i wish i knew, i'm having major ps problems too. Leaks Fluid like crazy, easy to steer when first started then gets progressively harder. I think i'm leaking from the rack. Rajunz i'm gonna look into getting a new rack or that kit. Thanks. for now i just keep putting ATF in the reservoir.

·
Just some guy
1,682 Posts
Well, if it worked w/ the old pump, and now it doesn't, and there's no leaks and you hooked everything up right, I'd say you got a shitty pump. Take it back and exchange it for another. I can't see any other reason. And put that dextron in next time. I've ran regular PS fluid, and it still works. Damn pump didn't last very long tho (I found out about the dextron the hard way)

Christian

·
MKIV SUPRA FREAK
1,738 Posts
wow i guess i'm bringin back a thread.
now i'm having the same problem as mav is.
i'd try bleeding the system, and topped it off with fluid every 4 or 5 times turning the wheel while it was lifted up
( when you start up the car, with the cap on the reservor, it foams and leaks out)
bleed it for a good 20 mins, and to think i was good it's still doing it.
i just need a quick info on what the hell is wrong with my power steering?
is it that the pump is just crapping out on me?
or i guess ATF will solve the problem?

let me know asap

·
Registered
158 Posts
wow i guess i'm bringin back a thread.
now i'm having the same problem as mav is.
i'd try bleeding the system, and topped it off with fluid every 4 or 5 times turning the wheel while it was lifted up
( when you start up the car, with the cap on the reservor, it foams and leaks out)
bleed it for a good 20 mins, and to think i was good it's still doing it.
i just need a quick info on what the hell is wrong with my power steering?
is it that the pump is just crapping out on me?
or i guess ATF will solve the problem?

let me know asap

God this in an old thread!

I am having the same problem as well to the T
Would really like to be able to fix this problem.

Who thinks that the rack is the problem here?

·
Registered
54 Posts
look at it this way. a power steering system is one of the simplest things in a car. it consists of basically a pump, reservoir, steering gear (in this case a rack & pinion), and some lines.

if its not the pump or any lines its the rack!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts