Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my ps pump but it is still very hard to turn the car. What I do notice is that after I make a turn the steering wheel will retract back so I'm not sure what the issue could be. Maybe the hydraulic ram itself?
Thanks for all your help.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
Did you bleed the system after installing the pump?

Front wheels off the ground, turn it lock to lock about a dozen times.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that. Does the reservoir cap need to be off?

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,557 Posts
No...leave the cap on. Does the MkIII have electronic power steering like the MkIV? If so, check the wiring connectors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made sure all the hoses and lines were attached properly and no leaks. I added fluid and bleed the system with the front end jacked up. However, it is still near impossible to turn the steering wheel at low speeds and very difficult even when the car is moving faster. Any ideas? Could it be the power steering rack and pinion?
Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also notice that I hear a whining noise if I try and turn the wheel to either size when I am parked or moving slowly.

·
Registered
452 Posts
With the engine running, open the ps reservoir. Do you see it flowing? If it is barely swirling or not at all, more than likely a blockage in the system, which is something that I believe I'm dealing with.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea it doesn't move at all. How do i go about fixing the blockage?
Thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
Easier said than done. I've heard of blockages in the lines, but I have never experienced it. More than likely going to need a new rack. You can hope for the best, pull the reservoir and check the built-in strainer screen. They often are caked in grime and clogged. If yours is clean, then your SOL. Get a rack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts