Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time no see gang!

A few weeks ago I had my power steering belt shred on me after only having a new Goodyear GatorBack unit installed a year earlier. Due to problems I was having, I ended up driving without it for a few weeks only to discover that I liked the feel much better once she was underway. Since 90% of my driving takes place on country roads and highways in general, the only time it was a pain was when parking in tight places.

Anywho... I just had a new belt installed the other night and in seconds after I started driving(after I left the parking lot) I decided I HATED the feel of the power steering at any speed over 15kph!!! It makes her twitchy and nervous and not at all near as solid and stable feeling as she is without it.

So here's my delema.
I want power steering for parking and low speed, one finger driving ease, but I would also like the tight responsive and senstive wheel feel I enjoyed sans Power steering.

Here's my question:
Is there an adjustment in the pump what would make it operate more like power assist at low\no speeds and practically switch the assit off at any speed over 15kph???

If not. What ingenious solutions have you seen for this issue.
-Can I swap the pullys to change the ratio's?
-Can I adapt a 84 or 85 Celica power assit unit in it's place?
-Is this assit level at all adjustable?

or am I destined to remove the power steering pump all together??

Any info or idea's would be appreciated!

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,082 Posts
In '89 Toyota came out with the progressive power steering unit. At speeds, it bleeds off some of the pressure and tightens the steering up. I've driven it once with the harness unpluged and it was like having half powered steering in the parking lots, etc. If you lower the pump pressure (pulleys or bleed valve teed between supply and return lines) you can probably accomplish the same thing. Some guys here have used Mustang II racks without power and really liked the results. That's about a $500 option.

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
I used an RX7 rack and got rid of my power steering. Its more difficult to turn while parked and at slower speeds, but not terrible. At least now my steering is TIGHT.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

So I guess then that I would like to hear from folks with 89 Supra's and hear how they feel about their cars steering feel at speed and for parking manuverability.

IS it tight enough at speed and powered well enough for low speed?

Some how the idea of putting non Toyota(well Mazda isn't so bad) parts on my baby seems sacrelidgious, If there was an after market performance unit for the MKIII(great! now I sound like a Supra snob) I wouldn't mind so much... Especially if the pully and or casings were "dressed".

P.S.>>>
For a swap to an 89's pump, does it require any different electronic or speed sensing connections? or is it just belt speed sensitive?

Thanks again guys!

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
Dont think that the RX rack bolted right on. I had to fabricate some brackets and weld the supra tierod ends onto the RX rack.
In addition, I had to weld the lower steering input shaft to the RX rack.

There is SOOOOO much more room to work around the engine now that the AC and PS is out completely!!

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,082 Posts
Yeah I just rebuilt my progressive rack, it works awesome, drives really nice at speed. You would need an '89/newer engine harness and ECU along with the rack. So i don't know how practical that would be for you. Now the Mustang II option is a pretty easy swap from what I've read.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an 89. It has a sensor located on the power steering pump that controls it. Mine went out, $200+ from Toyota, dealer only part. So bye bye sensor. I decided to scrap it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts