Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is my 3rd power steering pump on the car. I have bled it and fluid is fine....but problem is car still is VERY tough to turn when sitting still and at very low speeds and feels as though i have no power steering. Even going around turns and what not you can fell the stiffness and it wants to pull . I am at a loss here and not sure what else it could be?? or what can i do to fix this problem. I assumed it was the pump but its still not right at all. So hopefully someone will chime in here and maybe list other things i can buy to replace to fix this problem.

TIA

M

·
0 Posts
Mine too...

There's a few things that this could be. I have some information that I need to dig up because my car is doing the same thing. When mine becomes hard to steer one of my warning lights come on. I have not driven my car so long (since November of last year or there about) and I can't remember which one it is. From my recolection there's some solder traces that actually behind the dash cluster and connected to a certain circuit.

Man I'm sorry I can't remember what they are but I will definitely find it some time today and post it for you. I wish you had posted this before you spent all that money on the pumps. There's also some information on the MKIV archives.

I hope this at least helps a little and like I said I will find the information for you and post it for you.

Hey off topic a bit. I'm about to move to Bowie and I think you and a few other guys are in that area. Hopefully I will be able to hook up when I arrive.

Melvin

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Tony, it sounds like its the steering rack to me. There are'nt too many parts in the power steering, and you have already replaced the pump (3x). That would be my best guess. Unelss you just have a ton of air in it...
Good luck.

Tim

B

·
0 Posts
have you checked PPS solenoid connection by the steering rack(driver's side)? If it's secure then have you checked the PPS ECU connection?

M

·
0 Posts
I found the info I was looking for. It's about issue concerning the speed sensors and how the signal gets to the ecu. Anyway I'm pasting what I found on the MKIV archives, hope this helps.

> > The speed sensor travels to the odo and then to the ecu/power steering
and
> > cruise.
> >
> > it goes into the odometer through pin 5 or 6 (not sure) and comes out
> > through the other one (Eg pin 5 or 6). it gets slightly modified inside
> the
> > odo - but not very much and it doesn't actually seem neccessary.
> >
> > so what you do is either find the dead soldier joint, which one some
> peoples
> > odo is easy, others it is impossible.
> >
> > if you cant find it then just bridge pins 5 and 6 of the odometer - so
it
> > bypasses it all together. I have been running this for months now, the
odo
> > will still tick over normally and the ecu gets the signal - its just not
> as
> > clean a signal - but that doesn't seem to matter. the car behaves
> > identically.
> >
> > anyway, pins 5 and 6 are the following when looking at the odometer
plug:
> >
> > - - - - - - - -
> > - - - - 5 6 -
> >
> > that might not be the exact number of pins in the plug - its from
memory,
> > but it gives you a good indication - they are 2 the wires straight after
> the
> > gap on the bottom row.
> >
> > anyway, that should work if it is the speed sensor causing the problem.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Simon.
> >
> > PS. If that doesnt work pull the abs codes. To check the codes, turn on
> the
> > ignition, remove the short pin from the diag check connector and use a
> > jumper to connect terminals Tc and E1. Then read the codes.
> >
> > If you have any further problems or questions - email me at
> > [email protected]
The issue being if the signal is not reaching the ecu then it does not know how fast the car is going and does not adjust the speed sensing steering correctly.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Tony,

Also check the vacuum lines attached to the power steering pump solenoid.

One vacuum line is routed to the intake manifold and the other is routed to the throttle body.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts