Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my car is making a weird groaning/whining noise when the wheel is turned. I've been told and was thinking myself that it was my power steering pump. Could anyone that has experienced this problem enlighten me? I see fluid thats leaking out from around my power steering resorvior so that led me to belive the pump was bad. But could it just be a clog in the system and not the pump?

If it is the pump, how much are they and how hard are they to change? Could someone give me some detailed instructions on what to do.

Also, don't you put tranny fluid in for the power steering fluid? What fluid is reccomended and where can I pick it up?

All info is greatly appreciated guys! I want to get this taken care of before I take a turn at 90 and have no more power steering. ;-)

Thanks Guys,
Matt

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Mine is a very noisey too. You should only use ATF in the PS system. There are a few places that may leak and you can fix some of them by installing a new O-Ring, but that will only prolong the life of the pump. You'll still eventually need to replace it, but if you change/flush the fluid regularly and make sure that you keep it full, it will last longer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just replaced my PS pump over the holidays. It was ~$250 from Jay Marks if I remember correctly. It is very easy to replace. Toyota quoted me like 3 hours to do the job which is a joke, I did it in about 45 minutes. Just make sure you flush the system per the directions in the factory manual and your good to go. The fluid required is ATF but I believe it requires dextron II or something like that. I have never owned an automatic so I dont know much about the auto fluids. :( I just bought some Toyota PS fluid and put that in and all is well.

BTW, mine was leeking from underneath the pulley where it bolted to thePS pump. If yours is leaking from the reservoir...you might have other problems?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts