Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1990 mk3 turbo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you destroy me in the replies... Yes, I added regular power steering fluid. I simply was not thinking. I had the ATF conversation with the previous owner and did not pay attention to the "Use only ATF" on the reservoir...

Fluid level was low, so I remedied it. Now, what have I done!!??

I got new ATF fluid and replaced it yesterday. I had the car on jack stands so I could start to pin point the leak from below. Everything looks great and for the most part, no leaks when turning the wheel left and right, both at idle and stop.

When I bring the rpms up to 1200 or so and max out the left and right turns, there is a noticeable whine/buzz and fluid leaking like crazy.

Obviously, I need to spend some time with a light to narrow the leak down but does this sound like a rabbit hole or does it sound like the pump is bad?

Incidentally, the lower shroud is nice and clean now!

·
Rock'n Death with Spikes!
203 Posts
Check your high pressure line where the metal goes to rubber then metal as it crosses over the subframe to the rack. The rubber section that comes off the pump is usually it, especially if it's original. They develop pinholes and cracks over time.
That rubber section has a sleeve over it because its so close to the intercooler pipe. Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint a hole or crack because it maybe behind the sleeve.
Hose it all down with some brakekleen and check for fresh leaks. Hopefully it's not the rack..

·
Registered
1990 mk3 turbo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check your high pressure line where the metal goes to rubber then metal as it crosses over the subframe to the rack. The rubber section that comes off the pump is usually it, especially if it's original. They develop pinholes and cracks over time.
Thank you. I will check that this afternoon. It appears to be coming from below or behind the pully. I cannot see the source of the leak from above and did not have proper lighting from below yesterday.

·
203 Posts
I've had a pinhole that was so small, it put out a mist of atf.
The only things above the pulley would be the o ring for the reservoir fitting and the hose that goes between it and the reservoir.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1990 mk3 turbo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had a pinhole that was so small, it put out a mist of atf.
Good luck!
Never have I heard such encouraging words!

Also, pump is original with just over 46,000 miles on it.

Thanks again.

I will keep you posted!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Years ago I had a split in my high pressure hose that shot out fluid when I went full lock on either side. Like you I also made the mistake of putting in power steering fluid for "import cars" trying to keep it topped off. I fixed the leak with a new hose from Drift Motion. Unfortunately the power steering whine did not go away even after replacing all the fluid with the correct ATF and I had to buy a reman from Rock Auto. That pump is quiet and has worked well the past few years since installing it. I have a PPS pump and stock was pretty low at the time.

·
Registered
1990 mk3 turbo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Years ago I had a split in my high pressure hose that shot out fluid when I went full lock on either side. Like you I also made the mistake of putting in power steering fluid for "import cars" trying to keep it topped off. I fixed the leak with a new hose from Drift Motion. Unfortunately the power steering whine did not go away even after replacing all the fluid with the correct ATF and I had to buy a reman from Rock Auto. That pump is quiet and has worked well the past few years since installing it. I have a PPS pump and stock was pretty low at the time.
Right on. Thanks for the info. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1990 Toyota Supra (A70, Turbo, 7M-GTE, 5-speed manual)
6 Posts
Before you destroy me in the replies... Yes, I added regular power steering fluid. I simply was not thinking. I had the ATF conversation with the previous owner and did not pay attention to the "Use only ATF" on the reservoir...

Fluid level was low, so I remedied it. Now, what have I done!!??

I got new ATF fluid and replaced it yesterday. I had the car on jack stands so I could start to pin point the leak from below. Everything looks great and for the most part, no leaks when turning the wheel left and right, both at idle and stop.

When I bring the rpms up to 1200 or so and max out the left and right turns, there is a noticeable whine/buzz and fluid leaking like crazy.

Obviously, I need to spend some time with a light to narrow the leak down but does this sound like a rabbit hole or does it sound like the pump is bad?

Incidentally, the lower shroud is nice and clean now!
I had a similar problem. I have a 1990 Turbo. My power steering would buzz and it was very difficult to turn when standing still, and the pump would leak. I exchanged my leaky pump for a re-built pump, and the problem was solved for only a couple of days. Shortly after the power steering was leaking again. However, it wasn't the pump that was leaking this time. I found out that my high-pressure line and low-pressure line were leaking, as they were 31 years old... I replaced these, and now my power-steering is like brand-new. So easy to turn now! No noises! No leaking! Really makes the car feel completely different!

·
Registered
1990 mk3 turbo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a similar problem. I have a 1990 Turbo. My power steering would buzz and it was very difficult to turn when standing still, and the pump would leak. I exchanged my leaky pump for a re-built pump, and the problem was solved for only a couple of days. Shortly after the power steering was leaking again. However, it wasn't the pump that was leaking this time. I found out that my high-pressure line and low-pressure line were leaking, as they were 31 years old... I replaced these, and now my power-steering is like brand-new. So easy to turn now! No noises! No leaking! Really makes the car feel completely different!
Okay. So I have narrowed it down to two spots! The first is just behind the pulley at the shaft and the second is what I think is the high pressure line side but not entirely sure on that one... When looking at the power steering pump from the front of the car, is it the line coming from the left side and snakes its way down and around the top of the rack?

Reactions: mk3marko

·
Registered
1990 mk3 turbo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Follow up question. Am I looking for a new PSP with hydraulic reaction pump or not?

·
203 Posts
Do you have an electrical connection/wires coming off the drivers side of the rack? If so, thats the progressive power steering(hydraulic reaction type).
Nobody has these in stock, they are rebuild service only. Send it to Driftmotion for a rebuild would be your best course right now.
And yeah, that's the high pressure line.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
The line coming of the side is a banjo bolt and that IS the high pressure line.

Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim Gas

Reactions: nate_mk3

·
Registered
1990 mk3 turbo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The line coming of the side is a banjo bolt and that IS the high pressure line.

View attachment 265132
Thank you. The high pressure side is leaking but not at the pump. It is down the line at the metal compression fittings just past the bracket holding it to the rack.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Yep!

Usually were that high press line fails is at the crimp fitting transitioning from the the metal to the hose. Back then, ptfe or all the other high synthetic material hoses did not exist.

Also be aware that banjo bolt has TWO copper crush washers. One on top and one on the bottom sandwiching the banjo bolt. I have seen those washers also leak and make it look like a leak coming from the crimp fitting.

Reactions: nate_mk3

·
Registered
1990 Toyota Supra (A70, Turbo, 7M-GTE, 5-speed manual)
6 Posts
Okay. So I have narrowed it down to two spots! The first is just behind the pulley at the shaft and the second is what I think is the high pressure line side but not entirely sure on that one... When looking at the power steering pump from the front of the car, is it the line coming from the left side and snakes its way down and around the top of the rack?
I believe so. To be sure, check the Toyota Supra Repair Manual pdf. You can find it for free online. It should have diagrams for this situation.

·
Registered
1990 mk3 turbo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ordered a new high pressure line and will get it replaced this weekend. Hopefully that will take care of the issue! I really do not want to mess with finding a new pump...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Several rounds of partial filling and flushing the system with the return line off going into a jug is a good way to remove the contamination. All you have to do is move the wheels slowly side to side while on jack stands.The last aftermarket high-pressure line I got was about $75. Don't forget the 2 copper washers that go at the banjo bolts. The original is some kind of uni-washer that clips over the banjo.

·
Registered
1990 mk3 turbo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Several rounds of partial filling and flushing the system with the return line off going into a jug is a good way to remove the contamination. All you have to do is move the wheels slowly side to side while on jack stands.The last aftermarket high-pressure line I got was about $75. Don't forget the 2 copper washers that go at the banjo bolts. The original is some kind of uni-washer that clips over the banjo.
Thanks for the washer advice! When it comes to which fluid to use, do I just go with the dextron IV?

·
203 Posts
Valvoline Dex/Merc atf in the blue 1 gallon jugs. $14 at Walmart.
Flush with this.
Toyotas seem to do good on this atf but if you have to have synthetic, something else.
I use Mobil 1 for final flush and fill but that's because I ended up with several cases for free years ago.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts