Supra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Put some quality penetrating oil on the bolt and joints to soak and do its magic (not WD40 and not normal oil - that's a disaster). It's copper X2 and steel X2 which can make a nice electrolytic bond you'll wish a chemical had helped dissolve.

·
Registered
1990 mk3 turbo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Greetings all! The high pressure line bolts broke free no problem. Then the fun started. How is this supposed to come out in one piece?!?! I ended up fighting it for 30 minutes before resorting to cutting it to get it out. Of course, I figured the replacement hose would somehow magically slide into place.... you already know the answer to that I assume... I gave up yesterday for a fresh start today.

Is there a specific sequence to getting this hose reinstalled? I can get it to the crux spot where it comes together with the low pressure side on the rack near the passenger wheel but from there, it does not want to budge with the pre formed hard line angles running into other components.

·
Rock'n Death with Spikes!
203 Posts
Try that thread as it has some good pics.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Greetings all! The high pressure line bolts broke free no problem. Then the fun started. How is this supposed to come out in one piece?!?! I ended up fighting it for 30 minutes before resorting to cutting it to get it out. Of course, I figured the replacement hose would somehow magically slide into place.... you already know the answer to that I assume... I gave up yesterday for a fresh start today.

Is there a specific sequence to getting this hose reinstalled? I can get it to the crux spot where it comes together with the low pressure side on the rack near the passenger wheel but from there, it does not want to budge with the pre formed hard line angles running into other components.
Since I only replaced the high pressure line on mine with the DriftMotion one I'm still using the other OEM line, so I still have the old high pressure line in the car with the ends tucked and zip tied into an out of the way spot on each side. The DriftMotion line snakes around under the engine and I just played with the angles until I found a position I liked and used zip ties again to hold it in place. Over time the metal mesh around the hose started to rub on the oil pan and scratched away some paint so I recently repainted that and have now wrapped parts of the hose with electrical tape and wire loom to be a buffer. I believe you can order the hose with a coating now to help with this.

Found a couple pics
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Automotive fuel system Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Vehicle

·
Registered
1990 mk3 turbo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Try that thread as it has some good pics.
Super helpful. Really wish I would have asked this yesterday! I got it taken care of this afternoon but alas, the pump is indeed leaking at the pulley.

Since power steering pumps are pretty hard to come by right now, has anybody had any success with he rebuild kits? Or are they simple washer replacements?

·
Registered
1990 mk3 turbo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Since I only replaced the high pressure line on mine with the DriftMotion one I'm still using the other OEM line, so I still have the old high pressure line in the car with the ends tucked and zip tied into an out of the way spot on each side. The DriftMotion line snakes around under the engine and I just played with the angles until I found a position I liked and used zip ties again to hold it in place. Over time the metal mesh around the hose started to rub on the oil pan and scratched away some paint so I recently repainted that and have now wrapped parts of the hose with electrical tape and wire loom to be a buffer. I believe you can order the hose with a coating now to help with this.

Found a couple pics
View attachment 265306

View attachment 265307
Thanks. I "finessed" it in there this afternoon. I loosened the bracket and was able to lift the rack enough to get the line in from the bottom.

It only gets easier from here right?

·
Registered
Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE with R154 5-speed
416 Posts
<SNIP> Don't forget the 2 copper washers that go at the banjo bolts. The original is some kind of uni-washer that clips over the banjo.
The original is still available from the dealer. I got one within the past 60 days.

·
Premium Member
1987 MA71 R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
887 Posts
Also if you change the pump and keep your pulley, make sure you snag this piece. I somehow left it on the core when I returned it and had to get the part from Toyota.
Bicycle part Cylinder Nickel Gas Plumbing
Bicycle part Nickel Gas Automotive tire Plumbing
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
1990 mk3 turbo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for the heads up! I found one online yesterday not long after my last post. That piece looks easy to lose for sure!

Reactions: Dumeinao

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Absolutely. Without knowing its removable, and I didn't, its easy to look at the spindle and think its all one piece.

·
Registered
1990 mk3 turbo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
That little "part" is known as a "shaft key". Heh - you young uns! That was a super common part when I was learning. You remove them with a pair of wire cutters and/or a screwdriver which leaves marks as it is deliberately a softer metal than the shaft it goes in. Then a bit of sandpaper taped to a work bench to "lap" the sides flat by knocking down the high spots and you can reuse them many times. But if you have access to new they're usually cheap money if there's no time issue.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Yep @IdahoDoug . Woodruff key is what I know it as. The problem I had was that when I pulled my pulley wheel I didn't even notice.

My luck was that I took the core back before I put mine on. (#fail) The hard part for me was trying to find it at an auto parts store. Nobody had one that would fit. I was amazed to find it at Toyota.

·
Rock'n Death with Spikes!
203 Posts
Hope the pump works out. Keep us updated... Shaft key lol. Woodruff keys are semi circular. Just tap one side and it rotates out.
Just looked at the pump you linked and it's a non reactive pump.. You don't have pps?

·
Registered
1990 mk3 turbo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hope the pump works out. Keep us updated... Shaft key lol. Woodruff keys are semi circular. Just tap one side and it rotates out.
Just looked at the pump you linked and it's a non reactive pump.. You don't have pps?
I am not 100% sure on that now... I asked that question a few posts back but did not see any electrical running to my current pump. It would be pretty embarrassing to find out it is reactive since I was face to face with it for so long fighting the high pressure line install...

What should I look for specifically?

·
Registered
1990 mk3 turbo
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
scratch that last post. I guess the is what I need to look for...

21 - 40 of 51 Posts