Supra Forums banner

What should i do with my PS?

• Rip it out and use some muscle to steer.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Leave it in, Leaks are COOL!

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Is this thing on?
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have owned 2 mk-III's and personally have never seen one that does not leak PS fluid, lately ive been thinking of just taking the whole thing out and not being such a wuss.... who has taken theirs out? Was it worth it? Any comments or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks ~Steve

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My system is 100% original except for a pump seal change, and there are no leaks. No power steering is NOT an option if you want to auto-x at all.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
these cars are a beast to turn, for every day driving your going to be pretty sick of having to turn that hard. just fix the ps leak.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
I took mine out cuz it didn't work anyways. Didn't really mind it at all, although one handed turns are near impossible unless you try. The supra is getting maintenence done right now, and I'm also having them fix power steering. If you decide to take it out, make sure to save ALL the parts and try not to mangle anything to get it off. When I get the car back I'll post what I think of a supra with PS now, as I have never driven one besides a few mk2's :lol:

·
Is this thing on?
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
turbotoy, do you mean if i want to auto-x then i have to take it out? i heard that somewhere elso too...... i'm not sure what im gonna do yet i just really hate spending 6$ on PS fluid every 2 weeks. plus it cleans up the engine bay A LOT.

·
Is this thing on?
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im going to take the belt off for a day just to see what its like with it in and with it out.
LOL i think i'll try that..... see how hard it really is, i have driven cars without PS before and its only a pain when you try to turn at a stop.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
SupraDreamer44 said:
i have owned 2 mk-III's and personally have never seen one that does not leak PS fluid,.....
The only MkIIIs I've seen leak PS fluid are the ones owned by people too cheap or lazy to fix them. This, then, begs the question, "Why isn't fix the leak one of the poll options?"
:wtf:
LOL.

·
Is this thing on?
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
eh, you know my first car had its leak in the rack and i do not have the resources to fix that ...... i havent tracked down the leak on the one i have now partly because it doesnt run right now, only 2 people so far have said theirs DOESN'T leak, so maybe i should make a poll for how many people have or dont have leaks Huh.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,347 Posts
If you lived closer I'd let you look at my non leaking one, lol.

I haven't really heard of leaking being a problem before this thread.

·
Is this thing on?
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dang, whats up? even when i went to the dealership they were all "does it leak PS fluid" .... yes "yeah all those old supra's do"
and belive me that is the only thing on my engine that has any problems at all, but then again almost everything is new except that.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mine leaks, but I havn't found where from yet though. It's slow, I just refill it once every couple of weeks, one bottle of atf has lasted me several months and still has a 1/4 left.

·
Registered
285 Posts
mine leaked ... replaced the pump with a rebuilt... it leaked... i got pissed off and ripped it out... was fun last year but after driving a jeep cherokee with pinky steering all winter its a B*tch to drive the supra.. however the amount of room it free's up not having it is great

·
Registered
344 Posts
does supra forums have a prize for topic most reposted? i swear at least once a month someone asks if they should keep their PS or rip it out.

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Make sure your putting in Dextron ATFIII or you are most certainly to have leaking problems if not now, a few years down the road. If you are leaking now, there is a chance that the ATF fluid will fix that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts