Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
At My Signal Unleash Hell
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So my power windows stopped working out of the blue. Check all my fuses and they are all fine, however there is not one fuse assigned to "windows". Is there a relay or something that i can check?
Other than fuses or relays I don't know what to check. Both driver and passanger windows stopped working. I played with the window lock button and no luck.
Any ideas?

--Oliver

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oliver,
I have a 97. The power window fuse is #36 in the instrument panel box in the dash to the left of the steering column. It is a type 2 fuse.
Jack

·
At My Signal Unleash Hell
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah.. I checked the fuse box on the kick panel in the driver's side but no mention of "window" fuse, nor in the fuse box in the engine bay.
I took appart the window switch on the door and it looks OK to me.
Any idea what else I can check? A relay maybe?
Thanks

--Oliver

·
Registered
942 Posts
Alright, here goes, (my passenger powerwindow died last week, but i fixed it :))

Get yourself a testlight, and test it on your battery under the hood to see if it works (i bought one that had a loose contact itself from the store, took me a long time to find out) Now, If you take one of your door panels off, disconnect the plug that goes into your powerwindow motor, stick your testlight probe into the plug and ground the other side on the chassis somewhere. Now power up the car (don't have to start it ofcourse) and use the powerwindow switch to see if your testlight lights up.

(NOTE, you probably need to keep your doorpanel plugged in to do this, my passenger side motor (when tested from the drivers side) didn't work unless the doorpanel was also plugged in)

if your testlight lights up, your circuit is fine, and something is wrong with the motor. If the testlight doesn't light up, a fuse was blown or you have a short.

In my case the motor broke, i took it apart and there were these little charcoal like connectors that make the electrical circuit work with the spinning part of the motor that had worn out. (hard to discribe) I replaced them and it was all good again.

I don't know if this helps you, since you said both failed, which indicates a wiring problem over a motor-problem, i thought i'd share the story anyways

Luke.

·
Banned
752 Posts
I'd check the ground going to the driver's side switch panel. Toyota controls stuff by switching ground on and off. If the driver's switch has lost it's ground, it would stop both windows from working. I've seen a lot of ground wires fail in the harness, where it goes from the chassis to the door, inside the rubber cover.

·
Isabel & Bryan
673 Posts
mine has a similar issue, but its just pass. wind, but i can put it up w/ the pass control?
so im guessing there is something wrong w/ the driver side switch?
idk?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The #36 fuse is a 30 amp in the lower left side of the box.

This is the fuse for the PW windows.

If it is good then I would begin the other checks described above.

Jack

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would be willing to bet money that it's not the motor, mainly because you said all windows stopped working at the same time. Will any of the windows go up or down from any of the switches? I would definately check to see if you have good power and grounds at the switch. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I have had this problem in other vehicles, never the supra though. Each time it ended up being the master window switch on the drivers side door was broken. Replacing the entire switch fixed the problem.

You should be able to remove the harness going into the window switch and jump the correct pins and make the windows work. If that is the case, then u know the switch is bad itself. Otherwise if you have good power and ground, then its either wiring to the motors or the motors themselves.

I can check my wiring book when i get off of work and let you know which ones to jump if you want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts